Baseball Update

Talk about Creighton athletics.

Return to Jays Sports

Re: Baseball Update

Postby JayPak » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Anyone who has any idea how this year's Jays team is going to perform (outside of possibly the weekend starters) has to be lying. I take it as a sign of respect to be picked third after losing 7 of 8 non-pitcher starters. (Kevin Connolly, wherefore art thou?)
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby boxcar_billy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:52 pm

1620Jay wrote:Any idea when the 2017 schedule will be released? Are they waiting on the Big East? Some teams released their schedule months ago.

All other Big East baseball programs have released their 2017 schedules. So Creighton isn't waiting on the Big East. Two years ago, Creighton released their schedule in early October I believe, last year in early December after some heckling from yours truly. My heckling has not worked this year. Still, 55 of a possible 56 games have been posted by Creighton's 2017 opponents.

I think it's just a sign, despite the public stance, of where baseball truly stands now in the eyes of the Athletic Department.

Good news/bad news is the schedule stinks, so even with the newcomers, baseball should have a good record, but will have to win the Big East tournament due to the weak schedule. They tell the conference to schedule up, but won't do so themselves. Xavier's non-conference schedule is arduous again, and I would expect it to benefit them in conference play again.

Just visit these schools' websites for the highlights of Creighton's 2017 schedule. UAB (season opener), Cal State Bakersfield (just fired their coach), Santa Clara (a tournament that includes games with Michigan and St. Louis), a home and home with South Dakota State, the series with Nebraska, a single game with Omaha (at Werner), a single game against Wichita State, the games with Kansas/Kansas State, and for the second straight year, and Creighton does not have a conference home game in May for the second straight year. Their conference buy week is in May and will bring McNeese St. to Omaha. Obviously there are a few more games/series that just don't get the blood flowing.

For all of the links in one spot for your convenience. I put it together. So I don't care that if someone posts it here too.

Dear Villanova, Butler, and Georgetown,

Please drop baseball, so the Big East will stop sponsoring it. Then Creighton baseball can go elsewhere without hurting feelings. (Only two of the three need to drop baseball for the Big East to lose their auto-bid in baseball. Have to have 6 squads to be a conference that receives an auto-bid in baseball)
boxcar_billy

Postby Dr. Jay » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:58 pm

looks like your complaining worked, the schedule is up on gocreighton.
My brother and I used to say that drownin' in beer was like heaven, eh? Now he's not here, and I've got two soakers... this isn't heaven. This sucks! Bob McKenzie
Dr. Jay

Postby Jaybird » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Dr. Jay wrote:looks like your complaining worked, the schedule is up on gocreighton.

I hope that's not it. What I saw posted was a 26 game schedule, with all of 'em on the road.

Four possibilities occur to me: 1) Creighton's going to trickle out the homies a few at a time, teasing us by building unbearable suspense about exactly when McNeese State rolls into town; 2) the '17 Jays are just going to stay on the road all season, never coming home. Kind of like a touring company of Cats; 3) home games are going to be a secret this year; or 4) the Russians hacked our site and deleted all the home games. Every American (except for one) knows Putin's a bastard, but I never thought even he would stoop this low.
Jaybird

Postby boxcar_billy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:33 am

The other schools are confident enough to post it on their websites as official. I am confident that the 55 games I linked are close enough to reality.

Though if they do manage to get someone besides Bakersfield for that weekend, it would be tough to do worse this year, though possible.
Last edited by boxcar_billy on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
boxcar_billy

Postby boxcar_billy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:47 am

Dr. Jay wrote:looks like your complaining worked, the schedule is up on gocreighton.

Creighton could easily prevent this by not being one of the last 22 schools to release their schedule in Division I. (This is the second year I have tracked baseball schedules).
boxcar_billy

Postby wildjays » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:42 pm

White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby D Jay Fan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Baseball doesn't have a lot of confidence in the basketball team. They play home series on both the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament and the Sweet 16 weekend. I hope attendance is bad because Jay fans are busy watching something else.
D Jay Fan

Postby Cp Jay 07 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:47 pm

D Jay Fan wrote:Baseball doesn't have a lot of confidence in the basketball team. They play home series on both the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament and the Sweet 16 weekend. I hope attendance is bad because Jay fans are busy watching something else.

When you have to play on the road for a month cause of weather you can't let another sport dictate your schedule when you finally get a chance to play at home. It sucks but better than playing the first two months on the road
Don't call it a come back.
Cp Jay 07

Postby RVB » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:30 am

Former Creighton pitcher Pat Venditte traded from Mariners to Phillies

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/baseball ... e2cf8.html
RVB

PreviousNext

Return to Jays Sports