ictjay

Re: 2017 Creighton Baseball

Postby RVB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:54 am

Will Robertson named Freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball

http://www.gocreighton.com/news/2017/6/ ... eball.aspx
RVB

Postby Jaybird » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:19 am

Lacy just went at the end of the 11th round of the MLB draft, to the Cubs. This may not be a great sign for Rollie, but the Cubs are loading up early on right-handed pitching. He's the 7th rightie they've already taken. Still, the Cubs know what they're doing in the draft. They don't just throw away their picks.

Now Rogalla's gone in the 12th round to the Angels, ten slots after Lacy. Says a lot about the quality of the front end of our rotation this season.
Jaybird

Postby RVB » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Lacy, Rogalla selected during third day of MLB Draft

http://www.gocreighton.com/news/2017/6/ ... draft.aspx
RVB

Postby Jaybird » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Gerber in the 29th round to Seattle.
Jaybird

Postby wildjays » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:57 pm

New podcast posted. Includes talk about the end of the season and a 40 minute interview with Creighton assistant Rich Wallace.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/bluejays- ... portswear/
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby Jaybird » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 pm

I loved this little bit of CWS trivia when i heard it earlier today, so I thought I'd pass it along.

LSU's sudden star shutdown reliever is a flamethrowing freshman named Zach Hess. Turns out, he has interesting lineage. His dad is Karl "Quick Draw" Hess, the D1 basketball ref, the guy who ran poor little Timmy Miles from his first NCAA tournament game before the National Anthem was over, if memory serves. Hess has a hair trigger temper and ejects guys who look at him funny (that Miles apparently had no idea who he was dealing with still makes me laugh every time I think about it).

Anyway, the ACC finally had enough of Quick Draw and banned him last year after a run-in or two with deep pockets megadonors. This was right about the time Virginia thought young Hess was all but signed for their baseball team. But after the ACC cast Karl out into the wilderness, the Hess family decided Zach would take his talents elsewhere. Screw the damned ACC. The rest might end up being CWS history.

BTW, when I heard the story, I checked out Hess's bio at the LSU site. They even included a bit about his dad, like his off-season job. This is maybe the best part of the whole story. In the off-season, Karl Hess, the scourge of NCAA basketball coaches everywhere, the guy who takes exactly zero crap from anyone, is a family and marriage counselor. Apparently from April to November, Karl Hess is a guy desperate people turn to to save their relationships.
Jaybird

Postby Altman's Advisor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 pm

Jaybird wrote:I loved this little bit of CWS trivia when i heard it earlier today, so I thought I'd pass it along.

LSU's sudden star shutdown reliever is a flamethrowing freshman named Zach Hess. Turns out, he has interesting lineage. His dad is Karl "Quick Draw" Hess, the D1 basketball ref, the guy who ran poor little Timmy Miles from his first NCAA tournament game before the National Anthem was over, if memory serves. Hess has a hair trigger temper and ejects guys who look at him funny (that Miles apparently had no idea who he was dealing with still makes me laugh every time I think about it).

Anyway, the ACC finally had enough of Quick Draw and banned him last year after a run-in or two with deep pockets megadonors. This was right about the time Virginia thought young Hess was all but signed for their baseball team. But after the ACC cast Karl out into the wilderness, the Hess family decided Zach would take his talents elsewhere. Screw the damned ACC. The rest might end up being CWS history.

BTW, when I heard the story, I checked out Hess's bio at the LSU site. They even included a bit about his dad, like his off-season job. This is maybe the best part of the whole story. In the off-season, Karl Hess, the scourge of NCAA basketball coaches everywhere, the guy who takes exactly zero crap from anyone, is a family and marriage counselor. Apparently from April to November, Karl Hess is a guy desperate people turn to to save their relationships.

Great stuff. I guess it will come as no surprise then to learn that Zack's teammates call him "Psycho." True story.
Altman's Advisor

Postby JayPak » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Thanks for sharing that one!
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Previous

Return to Jays Sports