2017 Creighton Baseball

Talk about Creighton athletics.

Return to Jays Sports

Re: 2017 Creighton Baseball

Postby Polyfro » Tue May 02, 2017 9:14 am

Blurb in Shatel's article today says the two rainouts this weekend technically make Creighton ineligible for the league tourney -- they'll need a waiver to participate.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-swim ... 6ec8f.html

The two rainouts last weekend mean the Jays can play a maximum 16 Big East games. CU (8-2) has two league series left, at Seton Hall and Butler.

Glen Sisk, Creighton’s associate sports information director, spoke to the league office and was told that Big East teams must play a minimum of 18 games to be eligible for the league tournament. That will be played at TD Ameritrade Park in late May.

According to Sisk, a Big East committee would discuss the team’s situation — rainouts, etc. — and make a ruling on if it could play in the league tournament.
#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby Jaybird » Tue May 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Polyfro wrote:Blurb in Shatel's article today says the two rainouts this weekend technically make Creighton ineligible for the league tourney -- they'll need a waiver to participate.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-swim ... 6ec8f.html

The two rainouts last weekend mean the Jays can play a maximum 16 Big East games. CU (8-2) has two league series left, at Seton Hall and Butler.

Glen Sisk, Creighton’s associate sports information director, spoke to the league office and was told that Big East teams must play a minimum of 18 games to be eligible for the league tournament. That will be played at TD Ameritrade Park in late May.

According to Sisk, a Big East committee would discuss the team’s situation — rainouts, etc. — and make a ruling on if it could play in the league tournament.

I was going to comment on this after I read it this morning. What the hell is Shatel talking about? This makes absolutely no sense.

The MAXIMUM number of league games a team can play in the Big East is 18. That's a full load for a seven-team conference. And, if Creighton would need some kind of exemption for not playing 18, so will the defending tourney champion, Xavier, because they're in the same boat we are.

So, would the BE exclude half its tourney field and the two teams at the top of the standings because of a rainy weekend? Go with a two-team tournament (assuming no more rain for the next three weeks anywhere in the conference), or sub in G'town and Nova for CU and X? The conference would make itself a national laughingstock. And, BTW, two years ago, the Jays and St. John's played less than Shatel's "minimum" (they got in 17 that year). Not only did they both play in the tournament, at DayTrader Park, but they squared off in the championship game.

Shatel needs a better editor, better contacts, or maybe a quick math refresher. Actually, all three might not be a bad idea for him.
Jaybird

Postby Polyfro » Tue May 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Yeah, there's no real "there" there -- while the Big East has a rule and CU's staff is right to concern themselves with it *just in case*, there's absolutely no chance of the waiver not being granted. The tourney would be a farce if they didn't.

Fun story for a newspaper notes column, but that's all it is.
#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby Jaybird » Tue May 02, 2017 12:37 pm

But his blurb is flat-out wrong, at the very least as a grammatical thing, which should matter to somebody who makes his living as a writer. There can't be a "minimum number of 18 games" rule when it's not even possible to play more than that. If there's a "minimum" rule, it would have to be a lower number than 18, unless the word doesn't mean what it's always meant until Tom Shatel got a hold of it.

Maybe there's some half-assed rule that if a team doesn't play its complete schedule, the league reserves the right to review for any competitive inequity before approving the final tournament field. I suppose that's possible if the other three tourney qualifiers got 'em all in and somebody else is sitting just outside qualification territory because it played one more game and has one more loss than someone else. But, if so, he needs to explain that. Or, if that's too complicated for him, just not even mention the whole thing because, at worst, it's a stupid technicality that nobody will pay attention to.
Jaybird

Postby Realhoops » Tue May 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Why is it so difficult to actually find things like the conference rules for this sort of stuff online anywhere? It's similar to when it comes time for talking about seeding for the basketball tournament, or conference rules on transfers and eligibility, etc. -- is there a reason that the conference website doesn't actually include the "rule book" for every sport?

You'd think that the actual rule would be available online somewhere.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Jaybird » Tue May 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Realhoops wrote:Why is it so difficult to actually find things like the conference rules for this sort of stuff online anywhere? It's similar to when it comes time for talking about seeding for the basketball tournament, or conference rules on transfers and eligibility, etc. -- is there a reason that the conference website doesn't actually include the "rule book" for every sport?

You'd think that the actual rule would be available online somewhere.

After I got back from the BE tournament in NYC, I started regretting not pulling the trigger on a pretty cool tournament t-shirt that I had my eye on and was for sale, along with a lot of other gear, at the Garden. I guess I just didn't want to drag it around with me. But I assumed BE tourney stuff would be readily available online. I assumed wrong. I looked everywhere, but I found only team-specific items, which was not what I was looking for. At that point, it wasn't even about the shirt anymore. It was a mystery I had to solve. Where did all that leftover inventory end up? (That stuff wasn't exactly flying off MSG's shelves and hangers, so there had to be a small mountain of unsold shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies and caps after the tournament).

The BE website was absolutely useless for this, so I called Creighton to see if they could help. They were very nice and gave me a name and number to call for BE staff. I got someone back there who was also very nice and said the woman in charge of that, Ann Wells-Crandall, was on travel but would be sure to get back to me. I could count on it. Of course, she never did.

A long-winded way of saying that I don't think the BE gives a crap about public outreach or information. As Shatel would probably say, they appear to just do the minimum.
Jaybird

Postby Cp Jay 07 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:22 pm

This is a tough one for me cause I love ripping Shatel and his lazy journalism just as much as the next guy but I also realize the Big East is the dumbest baseball conference in the land and doesn't use any thought regarding baseball so that very well could be an actual rule and the Big East is dumb enough to move Nova and GT up and Xavier and CU out for not meeting a certain number of games.

Since we have been in the conference Big East baseball held their first conference tourney with a winner take all game for television which awarded an Xavier team that lost in the tourney already to win the auto bid, played a conference tourney with no one in attendance in Brooklyn, and the middle of no where Maryland, and finally they basically allowed the Big 10, a conference they share the same footprint with, to take over a member schools home stadium and only conference tourney site where they can draw fans at for 5 years in a row cause they didn't wanna agree to every other year at TD Ameritrade cause they wanna look at more sites on the East coast. The people running this league truly are morons and I am a little worried they could punish CU cause well its Big East baseball and look at their track record.
Don't call it a come back.
Cp Jay 07

Postby Jaybird » Tue May 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Yeah, well, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the league won't exclude the tournament host because of a rainy weekend in April and, in the process, eternally piss off one of the more influential ADs in all the land. (Good luck running that tournament, BE). I'll readily grant the point, however, that the Big East gives every indication of being stupid, at a level nearing criminal, when it comes to baseball.
Jaybird

Postby RVB » Wed May 03, 2017 11:52 pm

RVB

Postby RVB » Fri May 05, 2017 12:00 am

After long break, Jays look for wins on the road

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/baseball ... a099d.html
RVB

PreviousNext

Return to Jays Sports