2017 Creighton Men's Soccer

Talk about Creighton athletics.

Return to Jays Sports

Re: 2017 Creighton Men's Soccer

Postby JayPak » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:44 pm

Marquette and DePaul are must wins, or at worst a must win/tie, for an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Eye of the Jay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Absolutely pathetic display by the Men's soccer team after a promising stretch the last few weeks. Turning it off down 3-0 at 2-9 Marquette. We need to now beat Depaul and find a way to win at Georgetown if we want any chance of an at large.
Eye of the Jay

Postby cu8493 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:43 pm

When does Bolowich's seat get warm? Teams have performed underwhelmingly in 3 of last 5 seasons, and have been steadily declining in talent and cohesion in the last couple of years, IMO. Maybe just aberration. No doubt about his credentials as a great coach, but I wonder if it's getting to be time. Another lost season this year, it appears.
cu8493

Postby T-bone » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:39 pm

cu8493 wrote:When does Bolowich's seat get warm? Teams have performed underwhelmingly in 3 of last 5 seasons, and have been steadily declining in talent and cohesion in the last couple of years, IMO. Maybe just aberration. No doubt about his credentials as a great coach, but I wonder if it's getting to be time. Another lost season this year, it appears.

Now
T-bone

Postby whtblu » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 am

I think it’s time to look at making a change in the leadership. I’m also not questioning Bolowich’s credentials, but it’s not working here. We’ve hit some home runs bringing in German guys (Timo, Fabian), but lately it’s seemed we have tried to rely on last minute infusions of talent that haven’t panned out. Instead we get a team that has no cohesion front to back. We get guys who have worked their tails off for three years get shuffled aside for some guy that’s been brought in last minute. How do we recruit kids to come here when they see that they might just get tossed aside in August after working with the team all spring/summer?

This team is more talented than the top half of the league and isn’t even going to make the BE tourney. Looking forward, I don’t see any reason for optimism next fall either. It’s time for a change, or I fear we are in for more of the same.
whtblu

Postby cu8493 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:37 am

Agree 100%. But, I have little confidence that a change will be made until EB decides its time to retire (and why should he retire if he doesn't really have to be worried about winning to keep his job). It seems more and more that the school has made the decision to chase rankings in Basketball and Volleyball, and to just live with whatever happens in the other sports. We have seen a slide in competiveness in each of the other sports over the last several years - it took women's soccer to hit absolutely rock-bottom before any change was made there, and it still doesn't appear they are demanding much from the program. Baseball seems to be headed in the same direction, and softball has been down for so long, it has really become an afterthought. Yes, bball and vball are the big sports, but IMO we are being very short-sighted in allowing soccer, baseball and softball programs to drift away into obscurity.
cu8493

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:13 am

No denying that this is a bad Creighton soccer team. More than a decade removed from being an CU undergrad and being in Omaha, I can’t pretend to know near as much as some of you guys about the specifics of why this team is so mediocre and why the overall trend is not great. But, I don’t know that it’s fair to compare CU men’s soccer to the other sports besides men’s hoops and VB.

I would hope that EB and the AD are similarly upset by the season and the slight decline (only seriously pronounced this year), but you can’t look at what EB has done in 7 seasons and make a serious claim for EB to be out of job any time soon. In seasons 1 through 6, we ended the season as one of the final 4, final 4, final 48, final 8, final 8 and final 16 teams playing in November or December. This year is different, but it’s going to take at least another year like this one to really heat up his seat. Even then, because his resume is stellar and men’s college soccer is ... well, college soccer, I just don’t see the point in trying to compare this situation to baseball or any the other non-revenue CU sports. Also, in the 5 years before EB, CU missed out on the tournament once, lost in the 1st round once, and only had one showing beyond the final 16, so it’s not as though the program was at its peak when EB arrived. Obviously, based on EB’s 1st two seasons, some of the groundwork had been laid for his tremendous early success, though.

Can’t say that I’d complain if he decided to soon retire, but I’m definitely not as doom and gloom as some seem to be.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby JayPak » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:21 pm

2 Final Fours, 2 Elite Eights, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 1 First Round NCAA appearance, a .743 winning percentage in 6 seasons at Creighton prior to this season and his seat should be hot, whether this year or next? That's worse than Sker fans calling for Solich's job, literally.

Oh yeah, I left out the 1 National Championship, 1 National Runner-Up, 2 Final Fours, 2 Elite Eights, and 9 other tournament appearances he had before coming to Creighton. He's the most accomplished and decorated coach over a career that Creighton's ever had, in any sport, but yeah he must not know what he's doing because the team is 5th of 10 in the conference this year and is still in a position to play themselves into the conference and NCAA tournaments. Yeah, let's run him off.

Some of you guys talk as though EB has lost his competitive fire and is mooching a paycheck off the university. EB's got all the money he needs and if for some reason he wanted more, he could get a job easily in Europe or the professional ranks. Money is not why he's still at Creighton. Did you hear the press conference after the PK loss in the Elite Eight a few years ago? The man is hungry to bring a national championship to Creighton, and if you've got someone better suited to do that who will work on a college soccer budget, I'd love to know who it is.

I'll start worrying about EB's skills and competitve fire when he stops taking his Alaska summer survival "vacations."
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby RVB » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:25 am

Game Notes for Creighton at Georgetown

http://www.gocreighton.com/news/2017/10 ... rnoon.aspx
RVB

Postby mgb66454 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:03 pm

JayPak wrote:2 Final Fours, 2 Elite Eights, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 1 First Round NCAA appearance, a .743 winning percentage in 6 seasons at Creighton prior to this season and his seat should be hot, whether this year or next? That's worse than Sker fans calling for Solich's job, literally.

Oh yeah, I left out the 1 National Championship, 1 National Runner-Up, 2 Final Fours, 2 Elite Eights, and 9 other tournament appearances he had before coming to Creighton. He's the most accomplished and decorated coach over a career that Creighton's ever had, in any sport, but yeah he must not know what he's doing because the team is 5th of 10 in the conference this year and is still in a position to play themselves into the conference and NCAA tournaments. Yeah, let's run him off.

Some of you guys talk as though EB has lost his competitive fire and is mooching a paycheck off the university. EB's got all the money he needs and if for some reason he wanted more, he could get a job easily in Europe or the professional ranks. Money is not why he's still at Creighton. Did you hear the press conference after the PK loss in the Elite Eight a few years ago? The man is hungry to bring a national championship to Creighton, and if you've got someone better suited to do that who will work on a college soccer budget, I'd love to know who it is.

I'll start worrying about EB's skills and competitve fire when he stops taking his Alaska summer survival "vacations."

agree 100%, can't believe what I read prior to this post. Apparently he's a victim of his own success.
mgb66454

PreviousNext

Return to Jays Sports