2017 Creighton Men's Soccer

Talk about Creighton athletics.

Return to Jays Sports

Re: 2017 Creighton Men's Soccer

Postby wildjays » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:39 am

Matt with the recap and interviews from the Dodge Street Derby. Exciting night and good soccer for Omaha and Nebraska.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/no-25-cre ... lia-field/
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby Realhoops » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:04 am

Jaybird wrote:
So, what are the ethics there when you possess the ball a few yards in front of an opponent's net and one of their guys slips and stays down? Is it play on, or do you hit pause while they get help to the guy? Mims sure seemed pissed at the Jays bench.

I'm not a soccer expert -- but it seems really bizarre to me that anyone would expect players on the field to see somebody go down, make an assessment of how serious it might be, make a judgment call to hold up and see if it's actually serious, etc. In every sport I've ever been involved in, you tell the players to play until the whistle -- it's the official's job to stop play if it needs to be stopped, not the players' job to somehow engage in all of that thought while in the midst of actually playing.

Imagine if they had stopped and then he hopped up and UNO was able to take advantage and score. Especially in a sport like soccer where people go down for a variety of reasons and a variety of severity all the time, there's just no way for a player in the moment to know which way it could go.

I saw their coach say the same thing -- it's unfortunate, but players are supposed to play until an official stops the play. And I saw the announcer engaged with Ethan Finlay on Twitter and acknowledged that he got carried away and really shouldn't have gone that way with it.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby GI Jay » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:38 am

Jaybird wrote:So, what are the ethics there when you possess the ball a few yards in front of an opponent's net and one of their guys slips and stays down? Is it play on, or do you hit pause while they get help to the guy? Mims sure seemed pissed at the Jays bench.

In my experience watching a lot of top leagues is that if you are in the area to score, they don't stop if someone goes down unless ref blows whistle for foul or thinks guy is seriously hurt.

In most cases the defensive player goes down because one of those two points I listed above. At the professional level, they understand if they go down in an attempt to get a cheap stoppage in a desperate situation, they will most likely cost their team a goal. They then pretend to argue about it but they know they would have kept playing if the boot was on the other foot.
GI Jay

Postby D Jay Fan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm

No big deal there, player wasn't in position to get hurt worse. If CU felt like he was really hurt, the gentlemen sports usually kick the ball out of bounds. But rarely do they do that if they are on an offensive attack. But, did anyone get a better view of the handball in the box by CU? From my across the field, it looked like a handball. Mims went crazy. I thought he could easily have received a card. Funny how this isn't the major issue.
D Jay Fan

Postby Realhoops » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:05 pm

D Jay Fan wrote:No big deal there, player wasn't in position to get hurt worse. If CU felt like he was really hurt, the gentlemen sports usually kick the ball out of bounds. But rarely do they do that if they are on an offensive attack. But, did anyone get a better view of the handball in the box by CU? From my across the field, it looked like a handball. Mims went crazy. I thought he could easily have received a card. Funny how this isn't the major issue.

I also saw a lot of furor over the offsides call that resulted in the UNO goal being called off. A lot of them seem convinced that it was a terrible call -- and I even saw some saying that the official who made the call had some connection to Creighton. (Yep -- tin foil hats and all)
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby whtblu » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Realhoops wrote:
I also saw a lot of furor over the offsides call that resulted in the UNO goal being called off. A lot of them seem convinced that it was a terrible call -- and I even saw some saying that the official who made the call had some connection to Creighton. (Yep -- tin foil hats and all)

To be fair, one of the refs was a Dacy, and I believe it is Byron's older brother. Now, was he the AR? The AR on that side of the field? I don't know.
whtblu

Postby RVB » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:43 am

Game Notes for Creighton at Seton Hall

http://www.gocreighton.com/news/2017/9/ ... urday.aspx
RVB

Postby Realhoops » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Pretty brutal loss today. This team is going to have a hard time making the BIg East tourney - after starting the season ranked in the top 15. Pretty disappointing.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby maxpowers » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Well, we lost because our goalie was ejected. Seton Hall got a penalty kick goal, and we were playing them 10 on 11 with a backup goalie...for the final 81 minutes of the game. The final score doesn't really reflect the quality of each side. Nevertheless, it will be brutal for our tourney hopes.
maxpowers

Postby Jaybird » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:49 pm

Kluver's having an interesting season. First, he gets an assist on a rocket of a shot to save the Tulsa game with 15 seconds left, then he gets red carded today just 15 minutes in, paving the way for a costly loss. It's kind of feast or famine with him.
Jaybird

PreviousNext

Return to Jays Sports