Women's BB

Talk about Creighton athletics.

Return to Jays Sports

Women's BB

Postby JayDO » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:58 pm

Got revenge against their only loss they should have won. Blitzed StJ. Lot's of 3's. Crowd was good and loud. Dogs were great at Frisbee! Having Rachael do the little things gives the shooters more latitude. Lauren Jensen doing point most of the time and has better driving skills which opens up for shooters, and she scores alot anyway. Molly playing more off guard. Carly giving good minutes.

Ranked anywhere from 16-29 based on different metrics. SOS 6 in country. Will go back up as still plays Connecticut. If can win at Seton Hall this coming week, a huge ratings and momentum boost. Has at least 3 more gimme home games.

Villanova turned out to be better after Jays win there, and Villanova had some revenge factor as got thumped at home. The have nation's leading scorer and play tough D.

Should get 3/4 to NCAA.

Lauren is a good player and was in Catilin Clark's shadow and made the right move. Morgan and Emma can shoot! I would guess we're one of the best 3 shooting teams in country, with motion offense, gives plenty of cutting and pass and shoot action. Not certain if a bigger post would be good or bad. I debate. Connecticut gets big and great kids; Jim recruits shooters and mid size. Villanova in our model, better D, and their shooting is similar.

Tired of seeing no women's comments for 2 weeks, so just added a longer update and perspective on the team. Adding a few more fans would make the place louder. No student support, however. Alos of conflicts this year with men's games and couple well attended games they lost. Beat NU which is always great.

Not certain we have a chance with the girl from Elkhorn. It will be shame if she stays home and goes to NU. CU has (2) 6-1 girls redshirting and recruited another 6-1 player. I'm guessing Jim's model will stay similar.

Women's BB getting alot of juice around the country, but the home court NCAA still is big issue. Both Iowa and ISU are higher than us, and guessing we would be back at their place..... but, as McDermott always says, it's about match-ups!
JayDO

Re: Women's BB

Postby Realhoops » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:20 pm

Should be a 3/4 — mostly projected around a 10 right now …
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby thatoneguy » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:26 am

Realhoops wrote:Should be a 3/4 — mostly projected around a 10 right now …

The comment was "should get 3/4 to NCAA" ... not "should be a 3/4" ... so I read that as the original poster meaning the BE will get 3/4 to the Tournament. The problem right now is that Marquette is that 4th team by the metrics, but they are in the mix with St. John's and SHU in the standings. The BE absolutely deserves at least 4. But I can't see either SJU or SHU getting in without some major wins down the stretch here.

I've seen the "conflicts with the men's schedule" in other places too, but that ignores that this is the first year with this type of schedule for the women (lots of Wednesdays and Saturdays). They previously had played Fri-Sun model (or Thurs-Sat sometimes), and there was no support. I've followed the team for a LONG time and there just isn't a lot of crossover fans from MBB to WBB. The fan base for women's bb in Omaha just is not there, I'm not sure why (as stated, this team is a blast to watch), but it's been this way for a long time.
thatoneguy

Postby Gmorrowfan » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:05 pm

The fan base for women's bb in Omaha just is not there, I'm not sure why (as stated, this team is a blast to watch), but it's been this way for a long time.

In the WNIT championship run in 2004, there were great crowds for the semi-finals and finals and there were long lines to get tickets ahead of time. I remember talking to Mike West after that and he made push to promote WBB during and after that run, but the next season attendance was back to the same more or less dismal level as before, with no real uptick that season or any subsequent season. Like you said, it's puzzling and has to be disappointing to players.
Gmorrowfan

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:55 pm

Some thoughts on mediocre attendance: (1) Sokol is a great facility, but not welcoming to newcomers. Where do you park, which 4-80 exit to take, etc. Nothing to be done about it, but I think it affects people who might want to come from west Omaha. (2) Competes against men's basketball for dollars, attention, time. (3) Women's basketball just isn't that popular, for whatever reason. Volleyball draws good crowds, despite playing in the same facility and competing against football. (4) Almost all of the schools with good attendance (3,000+) are large public universities. Gonzaga is the sole exception.

One thing that isn't going to get people to come to games: I see a lot of shaking fingers at people, with the attitude "hey, what's wrong with you? why don't you come to the games?" That's like the sort of things wrestling fans do. Or fans that say "what's wrong with you, why don't you like (fill in blank musical act)?"
Wizard of Westroads

Postby thatoneguy » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:21 pm

Gmorrowfan wrote:
The fan base for women's bb in Omaha just is not there, I'm not sure why (as stated, this team is a blast to watch), but it's been this way for a long time.

In the WNIT championship run in 2004, there were great crowds for the semi-finals and finals and there were long lines to get tickets ahead of time. I remember talking to Mike West after that and he made push to promote WBB during and after that run, but the next season attendance was back to the same more or less dismal level as before, with no real uptick that season or any subsequent season. Like you said, it's puzzling and has to be disappointing to players.

Mike busted his a$$ trying to get more fans to WBB! That was a really fun run and I'd expect if the Jays made another WNIT run (let's hope they don't ever have to), that Sokol would fill up. But the interest just cannot be sustained for whatever reason.

Completely agree with Wizard, shaking fingers and tsk-tsk-ing the MBB fans for not being WBB fans, doesn't work, even though I know some WBR folks want to encourage the turnout the women deserve, it's just not as easy as saying "hey they led the NCAA in assists last year, annually rank among the top 3-point shooting teams in the nation and are coming off an Elite 8 run. Therefore, you should now be interested" ... If it were that easy, Sokol would easily sellout.
thatoneguy

Postby wildjays » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 pm

thatoneguy wrote:
Gmorrowfan wrote:

Mike busted his a$$ trying to get more fans to WBB! That was a really fun run and I'd expect if the Jays made another WNIT run (let's hope they don't ever have to), that Sokol would fill up. But the interest just cannot be sustained for whatever reason.

Completely agree with Wizard, shaking fingers and tsk-tsk-ing the MBB fans for not being WBB fans, doesn't work, even though I know some WBR folks want to encourage the turnout the women deserve, it's just not as easy as saying "hey they led the NCAA in assists last year, annually rank among the top 3-point shooting teams in the nation and are coming off an Elite 8 run. Therefore, you should now be interested" ... If it were that easy, Sokol would easily sellout.

Flan just needs to recruit a player that could potentially dunk it. That would draw the fans.
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby Eye of the Jay » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:53 pm

How is this 30 year streak even real?

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... t-30-years
Eye of the Jay

Postby Gmorrowfan » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:55 am

As re-tweeted by Matt D and others, Jays pick up a 2025 commitment from Ava Zediker, a combo guard (hybrid?) from Dowling.

https://twitter.com/AvaZediker/status/1 ... 3428147203

https://twitter.com/FiveOnFiveHoops/sta ... 9789581313

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/16 ... 9972871168
Gmorrowfan

Postby jaykorver » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:14 am

Maly one of six players to represent USA Basketball on the women's 2023 USA 3x3 U21 Nations Leagues teams set to compete at the 2023 FIBA 3x3 U21 Nations League June in China.

https://gocreighton.com/news/2023/6/7/w ... -team.aspx
jaykorver

Next

Return to Jays Sports