2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen (South Carolina Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen

Postby NUgradCUfan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:56 am

mredle wrote:
NUgradCUfan wrote:Well this might help us....

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... lv-asu-nba

*Edit: Just realizing he'd have to sit out next year so it wouldn't totally affect Tug's decision if he truly plans on one-and-done.

I don't think it has any effect. At 6'10" Chase would play a 4 or a 5 for AU and Tugs would be looking at the 3. For us Tugs would play a 3 or a 4 but when Tugs played the 4 it would essentially be a lineup of a 5 (if we have any) a 1 and 3 wings.

Ya you're right. I was thinking about his position as more than likely a 4 for us and not so much them. My mistake.
NUgradCUfan

Postby jaysbanker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 am

mredle wrote:

*Edit: Just realizing he'd have to sit out next year so it wouldn't totally affect Tug's decision if he truly plans on one-and-done.

I don't think it has any effect. At 6'10" Chase would play a 4 or a 5 for AU and Tugs would be looking at the 3. For us Tugs would play a 3 or a 4 but when Tugs played the 4 it would essentially be a lineup of a 5 (if we have any) a 1 and 3 wings.

I think Tugs will want to play a 3 in college as that is where he would fit on the next level. At CU, and I think this is a concern of his, he would likely be slotted to play the 4. I think he is concerned about the "exposure" at the right position.
jaysbanker

Postby LynchMob » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:49 am

I may just know nothing about basketball but I can't tell the difference between our 3 and 4. Nothing about Huff's game says "power forward" to me.

Tugs has watched us play a lot, I'm sure he realizes there's very little difference between our wing players.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby mredle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:53 pm

jaysbanker wrote:
mredle wrote:

I think Tugs will want to play a 3 in college as that is where he would fit on the next level. At CU, and I think this is a concern of his, he would likely be slotted to play the 4. I think he is concerned about the "exposure" at the right position.

It isn't the number that is assigned a position that Tugs or scouts or coaches will look at, but rather the style of play. As others have pointed out neither Cole Huff nor Doug McDermott played in the prototypical style of a power forward ala Kevin McHale.
mredle

Postby section221jay » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:08 pm

mredle wrote:

So pretty much like this year? ;)
section221jay

Postby BostonBlueJay » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 am

mredle wrote:
It isn't the number that is assigned a position that Tugs or scouts or coaches will look at, but rather the style of play. As others have pointed out neither Cole Huff nor Doug McDermott played in the prototypical style of a power forward ala Kevin McHale.

Thank you.
BostonBlueJay

Postby Jaysker12 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 am

Doug grabbed 8 boards a game his senior year and got 20% of his touches in the post. That's a power forward...or if we want to just keep calling it '4', its not the position that Bowen plays
Jaysker12

Postby Easypaddy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:05 am

mredle wrote:It isn't the number that is assigned a position that Tugs or scouts or coaches will look at, but rather the style of play. As others have pointed out neither Cole Huff nor Doug McDermott played in the prototypical style of a power forward ala Kevin McHale.

mredle.... thank you
Easypaddy

Postby hilltopalum » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:04 am

Zona message boards seems to think Trier coming back for his Junior year, but Simmons will be leaving. This would be a good thing. Also heard rumors that 2018 Wing/SF 5 Star Arizona verbal commit Emmanuel Akot might re-classify and join up in 2017. This, along with Trier returning would clutter up some that 2-3-4 position for next year at Zona.

Arizona Wildcats basketball team could look vastly different next year

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Mar 26, 2017 Updated 6 hrs ago

1. Who’s leaving early?

While UA will lose only one senior, Kadeem Allen, the Wildcats are expected to lose at least two players to professional basketball this spring — likely Lauri Markkanen and Kobi Simmons, while Allonzo Trier and Rawle Alkins appear to be considering it.

Markkanen may have arrived at UA with a plan of staying for two years, but his status as a near-certain Top 10 pick means he has strong incentive to leave. Players taken in the Top 10 are guaranteed at least $4.5 million (plus endorsement deals) over two years under the NBA’s rookie salary scale, and a player in that category who gets hurt or fails to improve when returning to school may never see that kind of money again.

Simmons is a curious case because his playing time and production dropped off rapidly in the last month of the season, and Draft Express noted “he’s looked highly dejected and clearly not on the same page with the coaching staff.” But his size, athleticism and shooting ability still make him an intriguing prospect for an NBA team willing to stash him in the D-League and see what happens.

“NBA scouts like Simmons’ talent level but have major concerns about his intangibles, especially considering how much development he still needs in terms of his skill-level and basketball IQ,” Draft Express president Jonathan Givony wrote last week. “He’s likely to declare for the draft, and will benefit from the advent of the two-way contract (between NBA and D-League), which will allow him to make some decent money while the team that picks him evaluates if he can get his act together in the D-League.”
hilltopalum

Postby hilltopalum » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 am

still like Jays with Tugs but one of the more connected players in Chicago HS Hoops seen said DePaul's definitely a player. Said they've made up ground and obviously can pretty much offer him the world.
hilltopalum

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting