TRANSFER :: Clayton Custer (Loyola-Chicago Verbal)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: TRANSFER :: Clayton Custer

Postby HandDownManDown » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:42 pm

That would depend a lot on philosophy I would think. If I am Mac I'm not turning down a good player who has to sit out, period. Dude was easily in the top 100.

Next year wouldn't really concern me a lot.
HandDownManDown

Postby LynchMob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:46 pm

Mac isn't getting fired next year, and it is very very unlikely we will compete for a national championship - so build for the future.

If a player of Custer's caliber wants to come to Creighton, it would be foolish to say no.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby R Jay » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Could he or another non-graduate transfer come off athletic scholarship and go on academic scholarship for this year and then go back onto athletic scholarship next year and be eligible? If so they couldn't technically participate in practice or travel with the team, correct?
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby ZMagic30 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:10 pm

R Jay wrote:Could he or another non-graduate transfer come off athletic scholarship and go on academic scholarship for this year and then go back onto athletic scholarship next year and be eligible? If so they couldn't technically participate in practice or travel with the team, correct?

It depends. If he didn't have an athletic scholarship, he could still walk on to the team and pay his own way while redshirting. But if he didn't walk on to the team, he wouldn't be able to participate in anything if he wasn't on an academic scholarship.
ZMagic30

Postby HandDownManDown » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Guys, someone (or two) is leaving. Groselle isn't paying his own way, and no top recruit is doing it either.
HandDownManDown

Postby LynchMob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:08 pm

You can finesse things a little bit but any academic scholarships are supposed to be totally neutral with no preference to an athlete - so there's no way you can get a transfer, who probably isn't a savant in the first place, on anything close to a full scholarship. If you're giving him a scholarship because he's an athlete, it's an athletic scholarship. The NCAA is messed up, but they've seen it all before.

These fanciful scenarios are not going to happen, period. Doug and Ricky walking on as Big 6 caliber starters two years in a row is beyond unlikely, we will be lucky if we see a single walk on of that caliber again in our lifetimes.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby AttyAlum » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:35 pm

ZMagic30 wrote:
R Jay wrote:Could he or another non-graduate transfer come off athletic scholarship and go on academic scholarship for this year and then go back onto athletic scholarship next year and be eligible? If so they couldn't technically participate in practice or travel with the team, correct?

It depends. If he didn't have an athletic scholarship, he could still walk on to the team and pay his own way while redshirting. But if he didn't walk on to the team, he wouldn't be able to participate in anything if he wasn't on an academic scholarship.

Doug says differently.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:45 pm

LynchMob wrote:You can finesse things a little bit but any academic scholarships are supposed to be totally neutral with no preference to an athlete - so there's no way you can get a transfer, who probably isn't a savant in the first place, on anything close to a full scholarship. If you're giving him a scholarship because he's an athlete, it's an athletic scholarship. The NCAA is messed up, but they've seen it all before.

These fanciful scenarios are not going to happen, period. Doug and Ricky walking on as Big 6 caliber starters two years in a row is beyond unlikely, we will be lucky if we see a single walk on of that caliber again in our lifetimes.

It happens quite a bit for transfers who have to sit out a year. Kids can be on academic scholarships provided they don't play. If they play they then have to convert to full scholarship. They are eligible for typical financial aid whether or not they play. More than a few transfers get their year off funded through scholarships that are not athletic.
Chicagojayfan

Postby hilltopalum » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:55 pm

hilltopalum

Postby ZMagic30 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:59 am

AttyAlum wrote:
ZMagic30 wrote:

Doug says differently.

What exactly does Doug say differently?
ZMagic30

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting