2016 CG Davion Mintz (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2016 CG Davion Mintz (Commit)

Postby WBR Tom » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Picks the Jays over Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Wichita State, and Tulsa, among others (according to this article).

Here's Davion confirming it on Twitter:

And here's his highlight reel:

WBR Tom

Re: 2016 CG Davion Mintz (Offered)

Postby R Jay » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:42 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:
R Jay wrote:Welcome Davion!
Looks like big, athletic guard who finishes well thru contact. Not the prettiest shooting stroke, but he gets it off quickly.

Here's an evaluation from this summer:

Davion has tremendous length and matching skill set for his size/position as a PG. Without question, Davion is one of the better midrange shooters off the dribble, but has also improved his efficiency from the 3-point line. Davion has a nice change of pace dribble and is crafty in the paint. He has good court vision and is trending as a solid mid major prospect. The next step in his development is to cut down on unforced turnovers and to be more vocal in his leadership abilities.

http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/news_article/show/511052-nc-top-80-evaluations-team-3

"Mid-major prospect"....that just makes me cringe a little. That being said, this kid seems like a nice get and every recruit that commits deserves their chance no matter how highly or lowly rated. Congrats to Davion and the coaching staff!

I'm guessing that that was written before a) he improved remarkably over the summer or b) when he only had mid-major offers (and was always "high major" caliber, just way under the radar).
Looking at his offer list alone, it's clear he's not just a "mid-major prospect."
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby RVB » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:30 am

Combo guard Mintz picks Jays over K-State, Yale and others

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/combo-gu ... 07f38.html
RVB

Postby Eye of the Jay » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:43 am

Nice pickup. Curious to learn more about Davion in the coming year, but it sounds like he'll fit right into the Creighton family. Will be good to have some size at the guard position and he'll have a great learning process under Mo and Marcus that first year to help form a dangerous backcourt trio of him Khyri and Marlon. That was a sweet looking jet that creighton used for the official too.
Eye of the Jay

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:18 am

If it helps you feel any better about a wow factor with Davion, I believe three schools, including CU, watched a workout and immediately offered him. I think that probably says a thing or two about his physical talent alone, and that's a nice place to start.
JacobPadilla

Postby slaw » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:29 am

"They told me, 'Look, you're the best point guard we've brought in this fall"
slaw

Postby Waylon Van Smack » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:02 am

That was a good looking film. I suspect rankings will go up in his senior year. Nice pics on Twitter of the weekend too.
Waylon Van Smack

Postby wbjay » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:27 am

Welcome Davion! Perhaps a little skinny, but looks to me to have tremendous potential. Did not waste any time committing after his visit. I like guys that are decisive. Looks like he is earning good grades in high school as well.
wbjay

Postby Duke1Agn » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:17 am

Really nice pickup for the Jays. I'm rarely impressed by "highlight" videos, but the first clip in that video made me rewind it and watch again. Coast to coast through traffic with a monster dunk. Seems like a big, very athletic PG who may have slipped through the cracks a bit. However, with Georgia Tech, Kansas State, and Wichita all pursuing him, I doubt he would have stayed under the radar very long.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby mredle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:33 am

Watch the video and you will see that he's athletic, sneaky fast (always gets to the corner first regardless of who is guarding him), good vision, passes well, good in traffic and is comfortable shooting with either hand.
mredle

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting