Conner Frankamp (Kansas Transfer, Wichita State Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Conner Frankamp (Kansas Transfer, Wichita State Commit)

Postby Jet915 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:After knowing parents of athletes and all that they sacrifice for their kids to play college sports, I find no fault in someone choosing to play in their hometown.

I agree that the recruiting wins and losses are fair game for this board but suggesting we are 0 for anything vs. power conferences (or whatever the specific comment) seems a little dramatic and overly negative.

Creighton has never had the roster of talent on campus or committed that we have right now. Many of those players, surely, would be wanted by other, big, "power" schools if they were available. So, in reality, we are not really getting shut out, are we?

Other than Patton, not sure you could say the same about the other recruits. I know Krampelj said he had offers from VTech and WVU but I don't think high majors would be jumping over each other to land Stewart or Krampelj. As someone else said, the recruiting rankings won't mean anything if they perform on the court, but odds are, higher rated recruits generally mean better results...
Jet915

Postby Old MVC Days » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:24 pm

I just want to know where the next P'Allen or Nengsu is coming from guys. Come on, let's get back to the good ole' days.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:After knowing parents of athletes and all that they sacrifice for their kids to play college sports, I find no fault in someone choosing to play in their hometown.

I agree that the recruiting wins and losses are fair game for this board but suggesting we are 0 for anything vs. power conferences (or whatever the specific comment) seems a little dramatic and overly negative.

Creighton has never had the roster of talent on campus or committed that we have right now. Many of those players, surely, would be wanted by other, big, "power" schools if they were available. So, in reality, we are not really getting shut out, are we?

Other than Patton, not sure you could say the same about the other recruits. I know Krampelj said he had offers from VTech and WVU but I don't think high majors would be jumping over each other to land Stewart or Krampelj. As someone else said, the recruiting rankings won't mean anything if they perform on the court, but odds are, higher rated recruits generally mean better results...

So if Patton had waited till after the summer AAU circuit (and presumably, a few more big offers) we would feel better because we beat out some big schools? From where I sit, we did "beat" the competition for him.

If we dwell on the misses (and, this is only my $.02 and nothing more) as though coaches are not doing a good job, we will never be happy because we will always miss on a LOT more guys than we sign. You date a bunch, and hope one falls in love.
Savannah Jay

Postby R Jay » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:58 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:So if Patton had waited till after the summer AAU circuit (and presumably, a few more big offers) we would feel better because we beat out some big schools? From where I sit, we did "beat" the competition for him.
If we dwell on the misses (and, this is only my $.02 and nothing more) as though coaches are not doing a good job, we will never be happy because we will always miss on a LOT more guys than we sign. You date a bunch, and hope one falls in love.

Exactly. According to Bob Franzese, other major schools acquired about Patton before signing day to see how committed he was to Creighton. Franzese, speaking for Patton always responded "very committed." That says enough right there.
Every single year we recruit a ton of kids and most will not come. It's just how it works.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Are we really having this argument again? Sheesh...

OK so in 2014
- we got a top 100 and a top 150 player both of them had a number of good BCS offers.

In 2015 we've landed
- a top 50 guy (who we got before everyone else knew he was there)
- we got a likely top 150 guy who was available because he got hurt just as he was getting attention on the AAU Circuit.

We ALSO landed 3 huge transfers in the last year:
- One, a senior who is playing now, chose to walk-on rather than take a scholarship to go elsewhere. He's a guy who started at 2 other BCS programs.
- One was likely the best stretch 4 out there among transfers or one of the top few who had interest from a number of top programs including Iowa, Dayton, and Michigan
- Another was likely the best transfer PG out there or one of the top couple who had interest from Illinois, Wichita State, UConn, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Temple, Purdue, Penn State, Xavier

Add in the fact that most of the guys on our roster had BCS offers or other high offers as well (even though they were mostly recruited while we were in the MVC) Zierden - George Mason/Manhattan, Hegner - Marquette/Iowa State/Northwestern, Hanson - Gonzaga/AZ State/Mizzou, Chatman - Wichita/Colorado, Groselle - Iowa/ Colorado.. Honestly, I think we have done pretty darned well on the recruiting trail.

One of the key things this year is that the depth of our roster made it possible for us to swing for the fences a bit and try to land some really highly rated guys.. so we did and we didn't get everyone we wanted, but we've still landed a good bunch and with the chance to land a Khyri Thomas or another high level guy in the spring.. or another transfer or even keep it for next year if we like the looks of the roster going into next season.

If we put together a good season, that just makes this even better for the coaches.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:10 am

Don't mean to speak for BB and others, but I think the larger point some posters are trying to get at is that our recruiting record against power conference schools in this class does not inspire hope for how we will fare against them in future classes. Without a top 50 recruit literally falling into our lap the '15 class would be quite underwhelming. We struck out on every recruit in this class that was evaluated at the highest level. I like what our coaches have done in terms of developing talent and meshing guys together into a unit, and I think they can continue to do so with under the radar guys to the point where we are competitive in conference play year in and year out, but IMO landing 4 year top 100 guys like Clarke and McQuaid is pivotal to our program taking that next step (think consistent SS and beyond)
Jaysker12

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:19 am

Jaysker12 wrote:Don't mean to speak for BB and others, but I think the larger point some posters are trying to get at is that our recruiting record against power conference schools in this class does not inspire hope for how we will fare against them in future classes. Without a top 50 recruit literally falling into our lap the '15 class would be quite underwhelming. We struck out on every recruit in this class that was evaluated at the highest level. I like what our coaches have done in terms of developing talent and meshing guys together into a unit, and I think they can continue to do so with under the radar guys to the point where we are competitive in conference play year in and year out, but IMO landing 4 year top 100 guys like Clarke and McQuaid is pivotal to our program taking that next step (think consistent SS and beyond)

When you say Patton fell in our lap, does that mean he came and asked Creighton if he could have a scholarship, we reluctantly agreed, and then he blew up? From where I sit, Nebraska (and Omaha in particular) finally had a top 50 recruit and we landed him before anyone else could get their hands on him. Great recruiting starts at home (just ask Iowa).

Going against Michigan State or trying to recruit kids from Virginia to play hoops in Nebraska...I got news for you...we are going to lose way more than we will ever win. But to suggest that we will never beat out a big school for a recruit because we did not land certain guys this one year is overly negative, in my opinion, when we have the best stable of talent our school has ever had. Let's get to the SS, then we can worry about being there consistently.
Savannah Jay

Postby ZMagic30 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:53 am

Guys, this really isn't that big of a deal. He's transferring to his hometown to play in the Missouri Valley. We have Zierden anywho. No need to overreact because we missed out on a transfer. We've gotten plenty of those in the past year and I personally prefer a four year player at this point, or just saving the scholly for the next year.
ZMagic30

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:54 am

Jaysker12 wrote:Don't mean to speak for BB and others, but I think the larger point some posters are trying to get at is that our recruiting record against power conference schools in this class does not inspire hope for how we will fare against them in future classes. Without a top 50 recruit literally falling into our lap the '15 class would be quite underwhelming. We struck out on every recruit in this class that was evaluated at the highest level. I like what our coaches have done in terms of developing talent and meshing guys together into a unit, and I think they can continue to do so with under the radar guys to the point where we are competitive in conference play year in and year out, but IMO landing 4 year top 100 guys like Clarke and McQuaid is pivotal to our program taking that next step (think consistent SS and beyond)

I'm not sure you can make this case at all.

1. There are quite a few schools that skate under the radar a bit in terms of "top 50" HS recruits and do fine.

Let's take Gonzaga, for instance. Have you looked at how Rivals or ESPN ranks their classes? They do it by finding talent early, by getting high quality transfers and by getting overseas players. Iowa State does something similar with a heavy emphasis on transfers and JUCO's. Wisconsin would absolutely fail your criteria (this year's class #78 4-star, #131 3-star, and unranked 3-star) - only top 20 guy they've ever gotten was a home state kid that they identified early.. (Hmm, sound familiar?)

2. You ignore that two transfers that were recruited at the highest levels.. Watson and Huff. Not only were they recruited by some of the biggest programs out there (more highly recruited as a transfer than Frankamp by a long ways), they are already considered two of the best players on the team, even if they aren't eligible to play next year. These are IMO definitively top 50 recruits.. except better as they've already done it against D1 competition.

3. You also ignore the fact that the job the coaches have already done to put together a strong, young roster is what has allowed them to take some chances on some highly recruited guys that they had small odds of landing. Landing either McQuaid or Clark would have been nice, but there wouldn't have even been an effort if we didn't believe that we had to see the bar pretty high to add value to the team.

4. When recruiting at this level even the blue blood programs strike out. Teams offer a LOT of kids. They have a longer list and can go to an AAU tournament and draw on more guys to offer if people fall through, but that doesn't mean they automatically get a full and deep roster. Look at the Georgetown rosters of this year and last year. How many holes did they have despite their top 50 recruits? Look at this list of offers/signings from last year's Hoya class and those are just the ones ESPN knew about and probably not every offer that went out:

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/ ... age/offers

look at this class to see how horribly it can go wrong.. .Haven't heard much of Domingo, Bolden and Hayes have we...?:

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/ ... age/offers

5. Given #4, I think it's impressive how hard our staff works to give us an advantage. Finding Patton was a two fold thing - they'd followed him since he was young, but they were also at the tournament in KC this spring (IIRC it was KC?) and knew he was blowing up. Nebraska, for instance, didn't have a coach at that tournament, even though it was local. Stewart blew up in Chicago, but then got hurt. Rather than waiting to see what happened, we got him to visit without an offer and then after seeing him play in scrimmage got him offered. I still don't have the full story on Martin, but if West Virginia and VA Tech wanted him, then it's good we didn't let him slip into the next signing period.. it appears that they really wanted to keep him as quiet as possible until signing day (Not letting them roll into the next signing period appears to have been a priority with the staff for all 3 of these kids)

6. There is a regional rankings bias in general. Kids from the midwest often need to market themselves in order to get highly ranked (note that McQuaid from texas had a father who was a coach and marketed him, for instance). Hanson didn't even get a scouting report on ESPN, despite offers from Zaga, Mizzou, Nebraska and AZ state.

We don't have the kind of name and rep where we can walk in and pull a bunch of top 50 kids from around the country. We have to pick our spots and find guys who fit our system while taking chances by swinging for the fences sometimes. We didn't get two of the big ones we targeted this year (really just one as they were in the same slot essentially), but we did swing for the fences with Huff and Watson and we landed them despite true blue-blood program competition. We've also been very aggressive in identifying talent early and getting them signed or getting them recruited to win despite the competition (Harrell, Hanson are great examples here) or in finding guys we love and keeping them quiet (Stewart and Martin). I don't see any reason why we can't be competitive year in and year out in conference with the kind of kids we are recruiting... I think people tend to overvalue the recruiting our competition is doing.. Look at Nova for instance (one top 50 guy in recent memory who wasn't a local kid and then James Bell back in 2010, but for the most part getting kids in the top 100 range with a few nonrated guys tossed in.. ).. Can we recruit at that level? I think we already are.
Chicagojayfan

Postby LJay » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:40 am

Dude, what is it with you and Bilas and the 4,000 word posts?

I have A.D.D. and there is zero chance I can get through them!! :lol:
89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting