Deverell Biggs

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Deverell Biggs

Postby Bluejay524 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:16 am

Here is an article in the OWH about Central grad Deverll Biggs.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120319/S ... -big-again

It doesn't sound like we have offered him yet but I really hope the coaches are down at the Juco tourney and give him a hard look. Some of you I'm sure remember him from Central and then also in last years' summer league. He was He has the athleticism that this team sorely needs. He doesn't have the size that Nevin will give us but this kid is probably the most explosive kid I've seen in the metro when he was back at Central. He would provide a capable scorer at the 1 or 2 and can absolutely lock dudes up. I would hate to see him end up in Lincoln and help bring them back to relevance.
Bluejay524

Re: Deverell Biggs

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:50 am

As alluded to in the article, I know Deverell and Josh are good friends. BIggs had to go JUCO because his academics were not in order. Don't know if that would still be an issue.

Biggs does have the ability to drive the ball and replace that particular role that AY filled. At the same time, I think Yates can do that as well. Ultimately, I think Biggs is looking for a place where he can get a ton of minutes right away and I don't see that happening here.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Bluejay524 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:04 am

Well, I think that we have found that we need to upgrade our athleticism and defense big time and this kid would provide both. I don't think we can count on this Yates kid to come right in and contribute that much. I really think that if Deverell could get the offense down, he would be a huge asset. Greg has changed his philosophy with this team to run up and down in transition and this kid was able to get down the court with the dribble faster than any kid I've ever seen play in the metro. Even faster than Antoine. Guys couldn't turn and sprint as fast as he was able to dribble it down the court.
Bluejay524

Postby LJay » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:06 pm

This story on the various teams heading to Hutch says Biggs is getting interest from CU and Eastern Illinois (page 7).

Direct quotes in the local rag would seem to provide more accurate information.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1111608-ncaa-basketball-recruiting-who-to-watch-for-in-the-njcaa-national-championship/page/2
89 - 60
LJay

Postby LJay » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:13 pm

AttyAlum wrote:Ultimately, I think Biggs is looking for a place where he can get a ton of minutes right away and I don't see that happening here.

I'm thinking there are potential minutes available. We lose AY's 30 minutes and it's not a secret that the 2 was the weak link on the team this year. I'm not saying the 2's were bad but the defense in that spot was not good and the play was generally inconsistent.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby DEK » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 am

Picked up an offer from Nebraska and Tim Miles. Miles may be trying to lay the ground work for other Central players by making an exception to his "no JUCO" policy with offering Biggs.
DEK

Postby D Jay Fan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Barry Collier had good success getting Nebraska boys when he first showed up too. He signed Jake Mulheisen, Jason Dourisseau, Wes Wilkinson, Andrew Drevo and the ever successful Roy Enright. You would want to shore up the state, and especially Central, but you can not rely on the in-state talent. CU went for most of these guys. We lost out on them and of course Bahe. Then Altman starting getting the players to commit earlier. CU got Dotzler, Jones and Young, barely missed out on Hill but NU couldn't get anything more. If you bring in the Nebraska boys you need to win soon because the players stop believing in Lincoln's Team quickly. I would rather be successful in Iowa than Nebraska. I do wish we would have signed Dourisseau. He would have been a monster in the MVC under Altman. A matchup nightmare, he would have been a better P.J. Couisnard or Jamar Howard for WSU. A driving tall 2 guard who has the size to lock down the MVC gurads on defense.
D Jay Fan

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:06 pm

In additional to the above posts, any thoughts or actual insight as to why he hasn't received a Creighton offer?

Saving the scholarship for another 2012 guy?
Saving the scholarship for 2013?
Academics still an issue?
Not as good as the players we already have?
Too small?
No perceived room on the 2012-2013 roster?
Not the right fit for a team that appears to have great chemistry right now?

Seems like we could really use someone who averaged nearly 4 steals a game this past year. And personally, I'd like another Omaha kid on the team. The Huskers can have the counties outside of Douglas and Sarpy, but Creighton should lock down the Metro, or at least not let any top talent go to Lincoln. If there is no CU offer and he ends up going to UNL or OSU, I hope we have/had good reason for withholding an offer from someone who probably has/had some desire to be a Jay.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby section221jay » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:34 pm

DEK wrote:Picked up an offer from Nebraska and Tim Miles. Miles may be trying to lay the ground work for other Central players by making an exception to his "no JUCO" policy with offering Biggs.

Miles doesn't have a "no JUCO" policy.
section221jay

Postby jayball » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:27 am

jayball

Next

Return to Recruiting