recruiting philosophy

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: recruiting philosophy

Postby blueblood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 am

Just to clarify, Mac won't be paying squat. If he does this, he will get a raise for him to pay for Doug's tuition.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby tkjay » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:51 am

PorkTornado wrote:The thought of Creighton becoming transfer U is ridiculous. Look at the transfers that Creighton has brought in recently. The Godfather, Grant Gibbs, Gregory Echinique and possibly Uthoff. Three of the four were top 150 guys who just didn't fit where they were and the other has brought us pizza pie piled high on more than one occasion. These are all good kids who didn't get into any trouble but for whatever reason decided the fit wasn't right. They weren't busts, or character issues and all guys we recruited before they transferred. I don't know how much safer we can get than that scenario. They are far safer than a freshman because, with the exception of Uthoff, we've seen them perform at the DI level.

I bet if these guys were coming out of California you'd be singing a different tune Gtmo.

I don't get this "problem" with transfers either

1) I think Jeff Goodman tweeted that there was over 300 players on his transfer list--thats almost one a school for the 340+D-1 schools--these players have to go somewhere
2)Besides look what Iowa State did with transfers--turned a bottom feeder program into a NCAA team. Its like calling Kentucky a one and done school--yeah I bet their fans are really upset if you call them that--as long as you say National Champs after it.
tkjay

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:49 pm

mredle wrote:So using your rationale we should only recruit juco and players eligible for grad school with a year of eligibility. Most bang for the buck! Wasn't there a team that seemed to do that every year. Oh yeah - ready Doc? Altogether now - There is no place like Nebraska...

No, that is your ill formed logic at work.

We should continue to recruits above average or better 4 year players.

We should be very restrictive and selective when it comes to "filling holes" with either Jucos or transfers.
Yes PorkTornado, we have been very fortunate with transfers, As the vast majority have been a boon &
a blessing for our program, as I stated above. Let's hope that trend continues.
And yes, Had every player been a Cali kid (justin carter, KL, KW, AB) I would have been ecstatic!
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby PorkTornado » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Justin Carter is from Maryland.
"I know words, I have the best words."
PorkTornado

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:07 pm

PorkTornado wrote:Justin Carter is from Maryland.

True, but we recruited him out of a Cali Juco, didn't we.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby PorkTornado » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Yes, but Nick Porter would have been a better example. He was announced as being from Compton, CA.
"I know words, I have the best words."
PorkTornado

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:57 am

With the recruiting interest increasing on Texas recruits...Harris and Foster, signing either is
fast becoming a major job.

How interested are the coaches with the Iowa pair of SF Morgan and SG Alexander? Both appear to
be very good players, and getting increased notice also. Do we have a better chance to sign
the Iowans or the Texans?
gtmoBlue

Postby Durango Jay » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm

It should be noted that Gregory transfered before Mac became coach.
Durango Jay

Previous

Return to Recruiting