2015 C Alex Illikainen (offered)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 C Alex Illikainen (offered)

Postby R to the OB » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:08 pm

LJay wrote:I'm glad that we continue to be a school that ID's 3 or 4 viable candidates for a spot and the first 'yes' gets the ride. We seemed to be doing that under Mac and then seemed this year to be in a 'wait for a kid to decide' camp ala the Altman years.

I would rather have a good player who is pumped to be a Bluejay than hold out for the moon and end up with Keith Denson.

Completely agree. We're a major program with a lot of great draws for players. If you want in, but don't commit before all of the scholarships are gone, you're out of luck... Unless you walk on.
Back on Alex, now that I've heard this three times, I'm willing to take this as fact that we are out of the running on our own accord.
R to the OB

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:47 pm

What doesn't make sense is that it seems we are still pursuing Cody Schwartz, they both are very similar players...
Jet915

Postby R to the OB » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:34 am

Jet915 wrote:What doesn't make sense is that it seems we are still pursuing Cody Schwartz, they both are very similar players...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Cody was more of an outside player than Alex... That he could play the 3 as well as the 4, which would fill a need after Avery graduates.
R to the OB

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:23 am

Everyone is forgetting Cole Huff. Cole can play the 3/4. LG3 can play the 3/4 and Ronnie Harrell can play the 2/3. Perhaps the coaches have altered their priorities with all of our transfers and recent signees, plus having picked up Justin Patton?
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby AttyAlum » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:21 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Everyone is forgetting Cole Huff. Cole can play the 3/4. LG3 can play the 3/4 and Ronnie Harrell can play the 2/3. Perhaps the coaches have altered their priorities with all of our transfers and recent signees, plus having picked up Justin Patton?

Good point gtmo. Having seen Ronnie in person, he is a bit taller than Leon, although skinnier. With a little additional weight, I think Ronnie will be able to play the 2, 3 and 4.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby R to the OB » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:24 am

AttyAlum wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Everyone is forgetting Cole Huff. Cole can play the 3/4. LG3 can play the 3/4 and Ronnie Harrell can play the 2/3. Perhaps the coaches have altered their priorities with all of our transfers and recent signees, plus having picked up Justin Patton?

Good point gtmo. Having seen Ronnie in person, he is a bit taller than Leon, although skinnier. With a little additional weight, I think Ronnie will be able to play the 2, 3 and 4.

We've seemed to have strayed a bit from Alex, but a point on Ronnie. As pointed out on his thread earlier, his twitter account now claims that he is a PG. Take whatever you will from that.
R to the OB

Postby Durango Jay » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Does Ronnie as a point-forward work into Mac's plans? Wrong thread, but whatever.
Durango Jay

Postby westojay » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:48 pm

Durango Jay wrote:Does Ronnie as a point-forward work into Mac's plans? Wrong thread, but whatever.

For sure. Ronnie has the skillset and the tools. If he continues to work hard, he will be a special player here.
westojay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:02 am

I think we can add Hegner's development into this list as well. We have a nice stock of players who can play the 4 and with Patton also in the fold have a solid interior post player for the future as well.

5: Groselle (2 more years), Hanson (3 more years), Patton (2015)
4: Hegner (4 more years), LG III (4 more years), Huff (2 more years after sitting out)

I think R on the OB's point was correct as well - Schwartz is more of an outside-in player who can stretch opponents from the 4. Illikainen is more of an inside-out player who isn't nearly as comfortable on the outside. With Patton coming in, I think the outside-in addition is more important for the 4. FWIW, I like Schwartz more than Illikainen (who I think will be a fine player) as I think he brings a lot more offensive versatility to our lineup.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Ethanfor3 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:58 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:

I think we can add Hegner's development into this list as well. We have a nice stock of players who can play the 4 and with Patton also in the fold have a solid interior post player for the future as well.

5: Groselle (2 more years), Hanson (3 more years), Patton (2015)
4: Hegner (4 more years), LG III (4 more years), Huff (2 more years after sitting out)

I think R on the OB's point was correct as well - Schwartz is more of an outside-in player who can stretch opponents from the 4. Illikainen is more of an inside-out player who isn't nearly as comfortable on the outside. With Patton coming in, I think the outside-in addition is more important for the 4. FWIW, I like Schwartz more than Illikainen (who I think will be a fine player) as I think he brings a lot more offensive versatility to our lineup.

Pretty much an ideal situation for Patton in that he can come in and be behind Groselle and Hanson for 1 year while he matures and develops (potentially redshirt) then can play meaningful minutes the following year with a rotation of he and Hansen.

The 3 and 4 slots also look good as we look out.

I'm still concerned about taking a step back this year, not a doomsday scenario, but certainly not expecting 25 wins. If you look past this year, the foundation appears very solid and allows the staff to be picky about who they add.
Ethanfor3

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting