2015 C Alex Illikainen (offered)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 C Alex Illikainen (offered)

Postby jayfan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:46 pm

With the tweet about Morgan taking an official, I have to agree that the coaches changed their minds on Illikainen. Obviously, the coaches are still recruiting PF's. I just hope it's not because Patton didn't get his grades cleared up. Morgan will be a great fit!
jayfan

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:54 pm

jayfan wrote:With the tweet about Morgan taking an official, I have to agree that the coaches changed their minds on Illikainen. Obviously, the coaches are still recruiting PF's. I just hope it's not because Patton didn't get his grades cleared up. Morgan will be a great fit!

I am sure that the staff knows far more about Patton's reported academic issues than any of us, and when they offered him they were fully aware of what he needs to do. I cannot imagine that their recent recruiting activity has changed because of something that was what it was back in June and surely remains the same two Summer months later. All indications are that Patton's a great, hard-working kid who loves Creighton. The fears about his academics are almost as pointless as the fears about him reopening his recruiting now that he's a known quantity (ignoring the contradictions of the two fears). I wouldn't even acknowledge the alleged problem were it not for the fact that one poster on here who definitely has some legit insight into the matter, Jacob Padilla, has acknowledged that there is an issue. But, as Jacob said, worst case scenario (and this true for plenty of 2015 prospects) is that Patton can't suit up for us until the 16-17 season, which is exactly what would happen if he redshirted simply because he was not physically ready for Big East play. Since he needs some major weight room work and we've got two great transfers ready to go next year along with some promising guys like Hanson, Gilmore, Harrell, et al., that would not be a major problem, assuming we get at least a couple of 2015 guys who are college game ready.

As for PF prospects, Patton is a 6'10" without shoes rising HS Senior who recently acquired some of his height and may have more growing to go. To me, he seems like a rim protector and a college center. He can play at the same time as a true 4. I'm not comparing skill here, but think of NBA C/PF combos like Jordan/Griffin, McGee/Faried, or Hibbert/West. If we could have two talented and long bigs on the court at the same time, that would be awesome.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby Duke1Agn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Bluejay Bilas wrote:
jayfan wrote:With the tweet about Morgan taking an official, I have to agree that the coaches changed their minds on Illikainen. Obviously, the coaches are still recruiting PF's. I just hope it's not because Patton didn't get his grades cleared up. Morgan will be a great fit!

As for PF prospects, Patton is a 6'10" without shoes rising HS Senior who recently acquired some of his height and may have more growing to go. To me, he seems like a rim protector and a college center. He can play at the same time as a true 4. I'm not comparing skill here, but think of NBA C/PF combos like Jordan/Griffin, McGee/Faried, or Hibbert/West. If we could have two talented and long bigs on the court at the same time, that would be awesome.

Not many college teams can say they have a true C/PF combo. The ones that do are usually really, really good. See: 2013 Baylor and 2012 Kentucky.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Duke1Agn wrote:
Bluejay Bilas wrote:

Not many college teams can say they have a true C/PF combo. The ones that do are usually really, really good. See: 2013 Baylor and 2012 Kentucky.

No doubt, and we're never going to have Anthony Davis or something. But, if Patton bulks up and continues to work really hard, he gives us the coaches some great lineup options.

even having a couple of undersized but physical bigs like Mac had with Coleman and Stout at UNI can make for a fearsome defense. I guess that after watching a year of Wragge, Artino, and an inexperienced Hanson, I'm longing for a team with some post presence on both sides of the ball. Those games where we weren't shooting well from long range were usually brutal, and we just graduated nearly all of our shooting prowess.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby JayPharmAlum » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:51 am

Funny how at one time we seemed like the favorite here. I guess landing Patton ended that.

Per Evan Flood of 247sports.com, Illikainen named his top four schools on Tuesday: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and Oregon.
JayPharmAlum

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:06 am

I believe he's taking an official to Wisconsin this weekend. Interesting that we cooled on him, and some big schools came into the picture even after his sub-par summer. That Patton commitment really changed things for us.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:04 pm

I thought Patton and Illikainen played different positions? Oh well.

Let's get McQuaid.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby mredle » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:03 pm

McKinney's Neighbor wrote:I thought Patton and Illikainen played different positions? Oh well.

Let's get McQuaid.

+1. And while our interest in Illkainen seems to have waned our interest in Morgan has not.
mredle

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:49 pm

McKinney's Neighbor wrote:I thought Patton and Illikainen played different positions? Oh well.

Let's get McQuaid.

They might have somewhat different roles, but in the end the roster position to spend on them was about the same. Illikainen is probably more natural at the 4, but would play the 5 on a lot of teams. Patton is probably more naturally a 5 in college, but I think he has the mobility and skills to play the 4 also. Patton was also the superior defensive player at either positon, IMO.

Our interest in Illikainen waning probably wasn't just Patton, but also us landing Cole and Hegner looking like he can play a bit also... so when we had two stretch/skill 4's on the roster, we seemed to have turned around and looked for a more athletic 4, like Morgan.

You're right on McQuaid. I think a good sized, legit 2 who can defend the position with a howitzer shot is the most important thing for our roster going forward. We need a point to fill in the roster, but that 2 is what we need now, I think.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:01 pm

http://zagsblog.com/brewster-academy/br ... wisconsin/

Now Minnesota's out? How effing bizarre.
Bluejay Bilas

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting