2013 G Darian Harris

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Darian Harris (Verbal Commit)

Postby LJay » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:38 pm

From what I've seen a Funk-style player is what we're getting.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby FreddyMac » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:44 pm

These games are just awful to watch but luckily they go by pretty quickly so I watched a decent amount. I wouldn't call him a slasher but he's not a guy that will just stand around the three-point line waiting to catch and shoot. A couple of times he took it to the hoop and really got past his guy quite easily. He doesn't look quick but he's got a long, lopey stride and within a couple of steps he's gotten by his man and is looking to pass.

I don't think I'd compare him to Funk at all. When Nate took it to the basket the ball was going up, period. He'd either go in and do that spin move and then lay it in with either hand or stop and do that fadeaway that was so tough to block. It appears from the little I've seen of Darian that he'll probably shoot the three more than Funk but will also take it to the basket and make plays for other people. In fact he's maybe a little more like Johnny Mathies. Obviously they're totally different in that Johnny was short and quick and got by people that way whereas Darian uses that long stride to do the same. However, what they do on the court is similar.

So basically, don't see him being the scorer that Funk was but think he could be quite a threat with the basketball by either hitting the three or driving and dishing it to other people.

Edit: I see LJay had a different impression of him than I did but regardless, I think he's got some pretty good skills. Get him on some weights and I think he can be a very, very good player.
FreddyMac

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Didn't see the game today but from his highlight reel, he reminds me of Gibbs, a playmaker who can also score when needed.
Jet915

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:52 pm

DEK wrote:So he is not exaclty the slasher we have been talking about then?

Is he more of a Funk type of player?

When I had first seen a 6'6 guard the first thing that came to my mind was slasher but maybe I was thinking about it wrong.

Hopefully Nevin can really step up and be the player we need him to be, only benefit to the staff not doing everything in their power to get a slashing wing is that perhaps they see something in Nevin that those out of the loop (myself) haven't been able to see yet.

I guess I didn't think of him as a Funk player or as a premier slasher. To me he's more of a point-forward player. Maybe less of a scorer than Funk, but with the ability to score and less of a PG than Gibbs, but with a bit of Gibbs' ability to see the floor and get teammates involved. I imagine he'll be a terror to defend on a good pick and roll with guys like Hanson and Hegner.

If there is a guy on the list who is a slasher, Talbert might not be what we traditionally think of as a slasher, but he's a guy who can flat out beat people with his athleticism.
Chicagojayfan

Postby mredle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:04 pm

I think the comparison to Gibbs is a good one, just add knees and greater range. He seems like a pass first facilitator. Now if we can only teach him to wink!
mredle

Postby DEK » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:18 pm

Via twitter, Darian is visiting Creighton this weekend...you would think next weekend might have been better with Marcus around but what do I know...
DEK

Postby fritzpointer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:50 am

Wecome Darian have a great visit. I hope Piv does a story on the visits. Can't wait to see Darian and Zach at the clink.
fritzpointer

Postby fritzpointer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:50 pm

I was looking at some stories on D Lee and saw where he was at a camp in Oct. 2010 in Ark. They call it the top 150. They said that Lee was one of the top guards at the camp said he was very quick. Then I went down the page and saw Darian Harris and they said was the top shooter in the camp and didn't need much room to get it off. Then they said he had a change of pace dribble that kept defenders off balance and he then could either shoot or take it to the rack. They listed Darian at 6'4". I wonder if he's done growing. Can't wait to see you in blue. Go Jays.
fritzpointer

Re: 2013 G Darian Harris (Signed)

Postby DEK » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:03 pm

DEK

Re: 2013 G Darian Harris (Signed)

Postby CUJay » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:18 am

Harris is in town for the game today.
CUJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting