2017 F Deontae 'Teddy' Hawkins (Grad Transfer)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 F Deontae 'Teddy' Hawkins (Grad Transfer)

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 am

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
Dundee Hipster wrote:This program has a very recent senior that is accused of rape and still well ingrained with the players and media. I think I'll take Hawkins.

Don't understand that reasoning at all.

That senior was dismissed from the program immediately upon the accusations. So the program didn't embrace his continued involvement as a player with serious criminal allegations against him. Not exactly a great ringing reason to bring in somebody who has some criminal issues (if you think these are serious) and embrace him being a part of the team. It totally might be o.k. to bring him in -- but the fact that Mo was accused and charged with a serious crime doesn't suddenly mean that we should "take" anybody with any kind of criminal history or problems.

+1.

I'm not stating we should or shouldn't take Deontae, but saying "we still have Mo around" (when we actually don't) isn't the best justification for whatever choice is made. I'm sorry, but that line of thinking doesn't even make much sense, IMO. Is the suggestion here that because Mo hasn't been totally blackballed, CU now has an open door policy for all players? I would disagree with that suggestion.
vivid_dude

Postby mredle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:33 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
Outlaw_Wales wrote:
Dundee Hipster wrote:This program has a very recent senior that is accused of rape and still well ingrained with the players and media. I think I'll take Hawkins.

Don't understand that reasoning at all.

That senior was dismissed from the program immediately upon the accusations. So the program didn't embrace his continued involvement as a player with serious criminal allegations against him. Not exactly a great ringing reason to bring in somebody who has some criminal issues (if you think these are serious) and embrace him being a part of the team. It totally might be o.k. to bring him in -- but the fact that Mo was accused and charged with a serious crime doesn't suddenly mean that we should "take" anybody with any kind of criminal history or problems.

+1.

I'm not stating we should or shouldn't take Deontae, but saying "we still have Mo around" (when we actually don't) isn't the best justification for whatever choice is made. I'm sorry, but that line of thinking doesn't even make much sense, IMO. Is the suggestion here that because Mo hasn't been totally blackballed, CU now has an open door policy for all players? I would disagree with that suggestion.

I agree with Wales and Vivid on this one. Like families, sports teams are made up of human beings who are subject to weaknesses, failings and instances of bad judgment even in the extreme. This is true in a team that tries to recruit good character people and a family that tries to raise children of good character. It doesn't mean that the organization, the team or the family approves of the bad conduct or endorses it. If you have ever been a parent, my guess is that you have experienced your children engaged in bad conduct (which of course runs across a spectrum of seriousness). You didn't endorse it even if you didn't seek to shun or disown the child. You likely also gave them a second chance.
mredle

Postby #RollJays » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:37 pm

I will take the 6'8 guy that can rebound and shoot 3's. Those seem valuable.
#RollJays

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:24 pm

#RollJays wrote:I will take the 6'8 guy that can rebound and shoot 3's. Those seem valuable.

Not the hottest of takes since not one person has questioned his skills or whether he'd be valuable on the court. That's not the debate with this particular player.

Just read that he's visiting Gonzaga and New Mexico. So, decision could still be several weeks away.
vivid_dude

Postby Jet915 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Just recommitted to BC.....
Jet915

Postby LJay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:53 pm

another (highly indirect) link of CU and the MVC comes to a close:

89 - 60
LJay

Previous

Return to Recruiting