Available roster spots

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Available roster spots

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:07 pm

This topic has been discussed at length in this forum. But with Brooks committing, does that not mean we are "filled" in terms of roster spots? I know there was concern about Doug, but by either leaving for NBA or Greg paying his tuition, that's a non factor. If that's the case, I'm disappointed because Lee is interested and we don't have a spot for him. I've heard speculation and its been talked about here that there might be players transferring? Or possibly having their scholarships revoked. Is this true?
Jaysker12

Re: Available roster spots

Postby Bluejoe » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:13 pm

As of now, the roster is full, with Brooks taking Doug's spot (either NBA or Greg paying his way).

As is often said, though, you never stop recruiting. Players sometimes choose to leave or not enroll. So, if another commit comes along, the coaches are probably aware of someone not planning on returning.
Bluejoe

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 pm

I posted this quote below. As it turns out the statement regarding grad student funding is incorrect and inaccurate. Sorry for the mistaken notion-perception on my part. gtmo

Ethan should have enough credits to graduate this coming May. He can free up a scholie by playing next season as a graduate student. Grad students use a different funding stream.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... +transfers

Can a graduate student still participate as an NCAA athlete?
Yes. A Division I student-athlete with remaining eligibility may continue participating in athletics while enrolled in graduate classes.
To compete while in graduate school, a student-athlete must be within five calendar years of his or her initial enrollment in college. Student-athletes who have exhausted their five-year window for competition, but who have lost more than one season of competition due to injury, can apply for a waiver to continue playing.

A: Are there different rules for graduate students?

Student-athletes who have graduated are subject to the same release requirements as undergraduates and must have at least one year of eligibility remaining. To be eligible for the one-time transfer exception, football, basketball, baseball and men’s ice hockey student athletes must have been denied a scholarship renewal at their original school. If the student-athlete wishes to pursue a degree program not offered at the original institution, he or she is eligible for a waiver to compete immediately at the new school.

Again, sorry for the incorrect initial post.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby PAJay » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:56 am

Ok I will say what everyone (or at least some of you) thinking -- will Nevin Johnson and Avery Dingman be Jays next year? 2 players who have shown real flashes of special ability that have not yet been able to consistently contribute. While I personally would like to see both return, I can foresee that either or both of them might feel like a change of scenery would benefit them. And not a "downgrade" -- certainly they would both have transfer opportunities at mid-major schools. No inside information. No desire to see either go. But these are the kinds of discussions kids and coaches ought to be having this time of year. Not about "pulling" scholarships but about what is best for the kids.
PAJay

Postby LynchMob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:26 am

Who knows?

Kind of weird that everyone is assuming the guys who contributed something are more likely to go than IZ or GG who didn't contribute anything (obviously IZ didn't have the opportunity).
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby JD4JAYS » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:53 am

I don't know what the status of GG's achilles is today, but it certainly seemed to hamper him all year; especially his ability to play meaningful minutes. Does he bow out because of health reasons? Not saying I want him to go, and he certainly not saying he needs to go, but I'm just throwing out one possibility.
JD4JAYS

Postby AttyAlum » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 am

Maybe I'm just an old school kind of guy, but I don't see any value in speculating about individual players.

No need to make anyone feel unwelcome, unwanted or unappreciated.

They are all Jays.

Let's be respectful.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby FreddyMac » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Ethan should have enough credits to graduate this coming May. He can free up a scholie by playing next season as a graduate student. Grad students use a different funding stream.

Gtmo. If Ethan plays next year, and it's highly likely he's going to, then he's going to use up one of the available scholarships. There's no special grad student thing.
FreddyMac

Postby TrueBlueJay » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 am

AttyAlum wrote:Maybe I'm just an old school kind of guy, but I don't see any value in speculating about individual players.

They are all Jays.

Let's be respectful.

+1
TrueBlueJay

Postby HandDownManDown » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:48 am

AttyAlum wrote:Maybe I'm just an old school kind of guy, but I don't see any value in speculating about individual players.

They are all Jays.

Let's be respectful.

+2

I said as much when this nonsense started. And feeling that way doesn't make you old school.
HandDownManDown

Next

Return to Recruiting