Available roster spots

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Available roster spots

Postby PAJay » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:26 pm

I was saying any Jay may be in the same position as Doug McD -- should I stay or should I go? Looking back over this thread (short as it is "Potential Conference"-wise) I see nothing but support for all of the current team and recruits. We'd like you all to come back and improve and contribute but, if you (not Creighton, but you) think it is in your best interest and your family's best interest to leave -- that is ok. We will support your decision. Always a Jay. That said there are certain players that we can speculate about more than others. There a few on the current team, if I put myself in their position, I would struggle with what to do -- not because of lack of talent or lack of class, but simply because sometimes it may be time for a change.
PAJay

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Another Bluejay Bilas rambler:

I know that at least some of us want to see all current members of the team stay Jays for the entirety of their college careers. That may happen, and I would be happy to watch each of these guys stick around and battle for time. From an outsider's perspective, every player on the team appears to represent Creighton University extremely well.

I also sense that many of us, including some of the same people who do not want to see any transfers out, would like to see the team add another player. However, even if the scholarship limits were not absolute, either because someone’s parents are footing the bill or there was an imaginary no-scholarship graduate player world, there still remains at least one major obstacle: games only last 40 minutes. As college fans, it is understandable that we want to support a program (1) with a lot of depth and talent, (2) that does not directly or indirectly suggest that certain players look into transfer options. But, every kid who accepts a basketball scholarship to Creighton or another school wants a chance to get meaningful playing time during his career. If we have 13 scholarship players, plus a walk-on returning 2-time All American, and one or two other scholarship guys who find a real or magical way to be on the team without a scholarship, several guys are going to ride the pine for 35-40 minutes a night (the same will be true if Doug goes pro). We saw plenty of bench warming last season, and we did not have the same player numbers that some on here seem to be suggesting. I just don’t think that it is realistic to expect the average player, especially the average Sophomore, Junior or Senior, to be okay with that.

I know that most of you on this board understand that. I just feel like such things need to be stated periodically, when a portion of the board seems to be itching for another commitment, while another portion, with some overlapping members, seems in favor of seeing all of the same guys wearing a Creighton uniform next season. As always is true on message boards, there is a lot of dancing around the realities of the game and player expectations and desires.

As for individual speculation, there is no need to throw out names. We all know who plays a lot of minutes and who does not. We know how many years of eligibility specific guys have remaining. And we know what recruits are coming in. As was typically true with Dana's transfers, if someone leaves this season or in the future, it will likely not be a shock to those of us who follow the program. If people want to start the handwringing after the fact, fine. However, it annoys a segment of the online fan community to speculate or discuss transfer rumors ahead of time, and potentially, if not likely, paints the fanbase in a negative light for a current player, current player's family member, prospective player or prospective player's family member. I think a pretty limited audience reads this board, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that people with real or potential ties to the team do from time to time see or hear about what message board posters say.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby fritzpointer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 am

After seeing the stories writen about the 3-h's it just gets you fired up about the future. Not only very good players but good kids. Can't wait to see the three of you in blue. Go Jays!
fritzpointer

Postby LynchMob » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:19 am

Can somebody clarify, with a citation preferably, if we ever figured out if the 'dad scholie' is a real thing or not? I have heard a lot of conflicting info for three years now. Some say he can walk on and it wouldn't count as a scholarship player, some say he can walk on but it would have to count for some reason.

Tyler Self walked on at KU and is definitively not using up a scholarship. So therefore, the only way Doug's scholarship would count is if there is some kind of NCAA review process or investigation that would determine that Doug is "too good" to be a walk-on. I've never heard of anything like that.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby fritzpointer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:26 am

Raz. has stated many times that Doug can walk on. I don't understand why we have to ask the same ? over and over. It doesn't count as a scolly if he walks on. Go Jays!
fritzpointer

Postby LynchMob » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 pm

fritzpointer wrote:Raz. has stated many times that Doug can walk on. I don't understand why we have to ask the same ? over and over. It doesn't count as a scolly if he walks on. Go Jays!

Well that's what I thought but people keep acting like that couldn't happen for some reason.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby wildjays » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:09 pm

LynchMob wrote:
fritzpointer wrote:Raz. has stated many times that Doug can walk on. I don't understand why we have to ask the same ? over and over. It doesn't count as a scolly if he walks on. Go Jays!

Well that's what I thought but people keep acting like that couldn't happen for some reason.

I think the confusion originally had to do with whether Doug was going to get paid for totally by his family or whether coach could take advantage of the tuition remission benefit that Creighton employees had. #1 there is a time period that you have to be employed before your dependents can use the benefit. #2 if the benefit was used then it wouldn't count as a walk-on it would fall under as a scholarship and count against the hoops scholies.

So as long as his way is paid for directly by the family without any type of scholarship or tuition free $ then he would be considered a walk on. I hope that clarifies the confusion and helps everyone understand better. Should be the end of that talk.
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby Jet915 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:27 pm

So with Lee and Severe off the table, anyone else we are looking at for 2013?
Jet915

Postby Jay09 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm

I would love one more shooting guard or someone that could slash to the basket

ala-Justin Carter, Nick Porter type player
Jay09

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:06 pm

All is not kosher on the Hilltop...

We have approx 25-27 offers on the table for 2 to 3 spots on the roster. If our friend Joe Coleman (after his visit yesterday) decides to come aboard, there are 2 available spots. I will be happy to see HillTopAlum's (HTA) new breakdown when it comes out (today or tomorrow), to narrow down the prospective candidates for the available openings. I also agree with HTA's prior opinion that the coaches are looking to bring in 3-5 new recruits for 2014.

Coleman and 2 Frosh = no problems.
3 Frosh = no problems.
more than 3 recruits = problems.

2014 - We are looking at 6 Bigs (3 offers) and 5 SFs (5 offers) and wildcard (Keion Alexander - 2014 or 2015?)
2015 - 6 Bigs (4 offers) and 1 SF (offered) and the wildcard.

What gives? The coaches and players have had their annual chats. There had to have been some concerns voiced regarding longevity and continuing to be on the team. Were the players told what "they wanted to hear"? Were they given a realtime assessment of their status? Are the Jays only bringing aboard 3 recruits for 2014? WTHeck is going on up there?

Does Coleman take guards off the table? Still go for a PG?
If Coleman says no...does an SG take precedence over a PG?
We're going hard for a SF - seems the top priority?
Turner/Dastrup/Chukwu/Miller/Omara? We have 3 centers already.

Inquiring fans want to know...
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting