2013 (?) Keion Alexander, CU commit(?)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2013 (?) Keion Alexander, CU commit(?)

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Polyfro wrote:He just tweeted a couple of things about coming to CU:

Keion Alexander
Can't till this is all over!! People always try to mess things up for you when they see you doing good. 1 more year tho and its all over

Keion Alexander
I'll be in Omaha one year from now tho. #creighton14

Keion Alexander
Grown men being pettty but I'm not decommitting for nobody. I'll wait a year, not going to hurt me. Just made me hungrier. I'm a bluejay!

sometimes kids can spend an extra year in prep school to get qualified without going to JUCO. This is particularly a good option for saving their ability to have 5 years to play 4 when they get to college. That might be what is going on here.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Assuming there is truth to this, I really hope the staff knows what they are doing. When previous posts mention that there is not much online about this kid, that’s no joke. One of the top hits I saw was for a 2009 Yahoo Answers post. Not very encouraging. St. John’s, in comparison, just signed a five-star kid last week.

The coaches have earned our trust with the past two seasons. That said, their recruiting acumen is very much up in the air, as it is too early to adequately judge the 2011 or 2012 classes. But, a lot of our guys current and future appear to be stretches in the context of the Big East, so it is at least somewhat concerning to see that we may be offering scholarships to players who are barely on any scouting radar. Not to mention the fact that the team has very little, if any, scholarship room for the 2014 class.

This kid and others might prove to be very equipped for high major play, and the intent of my post is not to pick on any players. The coaches, on the other hand, who are very well compensated, are certainly worthy of close scrutiny as we watch the early days of Creighton’s Big East life.

The staff really seemed to have a solid MVC-based plan, and were nicely putting together a team designed to compete for titles in that league. I hope to like what I see in the next couple of years as they adjust to the new conference.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby Jet915 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Bluejay Bilas wrote:Assuming there is truth to this, I really hope the staff knows what they are doing. When previous posts mention that there is not much online about this kid, that’s no joke. One of the top hits I saw was for a 2009 Yahoo Answers post. Not very encouraging. St. John’s, in comparison, just signed a five-star kid last week.

The coaches have earned our trust with the past two seasons. That said, their recruiting acumen is very much up in the air, as it is too early to adequately judge the 2011 or 2012 classes. But, a lot of our guys current and future appear to be stretches in the context of the Big East, so it is at least somewhat concerning to see that we may be offering scholarships to players who are barely on any scouting radar. Not to mention the fact that the team has very little, if any, scholarship room for the 2014 class.

This kid and others might prove to be very equipped for high major play, and the intent of my post is not to pick on any players. The coaches, on the other hand, who are very well compensated, are certainly worthy of close scrutiny as we watch the early days of Creighton’s Big East life.

The staff really seemed to have a solid MVC-based plan, and were nicely putting together a team designed to compete for titles in that league. I hope to like what I see in the next couple of years as they adjust to the new conference.

Agree wholeheartedly, Coach Mac and staff will be really earning their paychecks once Doug leaves and recruiting Big East talent is a huge question mark for this staff.
Jet915

Postby Jay09 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:57 pm

does anyone actually know if we were recruiting him as a scholarship player? could have been recruited as a walk on with the information that is out there on him it seems more likely.
Jay09

Postby DEK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Bluejay Bilas wrote:
The coaches have earned our trust with the past two seasons.

Not sure I would buy that...two words: Doug McDermott.

As far as I am aware, the only players this staff is responsible for is:

Andre Yates - question mark
Zierden - question mark after a redshirt year
Geoff Groselle - bigger question mark after a redshirt season
Nevin Johnson - obviously was not a big success after his transfer
Avery Dingman - will be interesting to see what happens here, no doubt he can shoot but the rest remains to be seen perhaps
Austin Chatman - No doubt shouldered a big load for us this year, but was greatly aided by having Doug and our other shooters to pass to as well as Grant to run the show a lot of times - might be scary to see how Austin adapts without those 3 over the next 2 years
Grant Gibbs (I am pretty sure they get credit for this) - no doubt, a great get with Grant, arguably the heart and soul of our team last year if not the last 2

I will reserve the right to hand out my trust until they show they can recruit/win without Doug
DEK

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:21 pm

DEK wrote:
Bluejay Bilas wrote:

Avery Dingman - will be interesting to see what happens here, no doubt he can shoot but the rest remains to be seen perhaps
Austin Chatman - No doubt shouldered a big load for us this year, but was greatly aided by having Doug and our other shooters to pass to as well as Grant to run the show a lot of times - might be scary to see how Austin adapts without those 3 over the next 2 years
Grant Gibbs (I am pretty sure they get credit for this) - no doubt, a great get with Grant, arguably the heart and soul of our team last year if not the last 2

I will reserve the right to hand out my trust until they show they can recruit/win without Doug

This staff gets credit for DMD also.
Can they win without DA's leftovers, is the bigger question? DMD alone cannot win titles.

I, for one, have confidence that this coaching staff can get'er done with next level recruiting. Coach recruited well at Moo U, brought in very good talent. IMO the 2014 and 2015 classes will tell the tale. Land 2 (or more) of our Big 4 in 2014 - Myles Turner, Reid Travis, Victor Law, and either SG Terrell/DeBerry. That (and $2.78 for a Starbucks coffee) should be sufficient to gain everyone's trust - even DEK's.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby mredle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Bluejay Bilas wrote:Assuming there is truth to this, I really hope the staff knows what they are doing. When previous posts mention that there is not much online about this kid, that’s no joke. One of the top hits I saw was for a 2009 Yahoo Answers post. Not very encouraging. St. John’s, in comparison, just signed a five-star kid last week.

Bilas
Do you think kids sought by Big 10, Big 12 and SEC are a stretch for the Big East? Just want to know?

mredle

Postby mredle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:57 pm

DEK wrote:
Bluejay Bilas wrote:

I guess this means we mark DEK down as "Anxious to see Doug go to the NBA so the coaches can earn his trust!
mredle

Postby DEK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Quite the opposite actually, I will be the happiest person on the planet if DMD comes back...I don't think people are understanding how badly we need him, unless they just are not talking about it because they are hoping he comes back...

If DMD comes back, Creighton gets another year in the spotlight, is a Big East success story and gives the coaching staff a real chance to recruit kids to the Big East while Creighton is still a hot name.

If DMD leaves, we are going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel with Depaul and I think the staff will have a difficult time getting out of the shadow of the majority of Coach Mac's success was all at the hands of his son, making it difficult to bring in the kids that we need to be competitive in the Big East.

Hope I'm wrong, but without Doug I really do not understand how we can even sniff .500 in the Big East next year....
DEK

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:34 pm

mredle wrote:
Bilas
Do you think kids sought by Big 10, Big 12 and SEC are a stretch for the Big East? Just want to know?]

I think quite a few unranked kids, and some ranked kids, prove to be a stretch for all of the high major leagues, and we happen to have a current and anticipated roster of high major/mid major tweeners with some more straight mid major guys. My general statement about unranked kids is part of the reason there are so many transfers each year.

Not sure the stretch statement was the key part of my point, but the reality is that most all of the teams in the high major leagues get higher rated recruits than Creighton or our good Valley competitors, and plenty of teams with talent still struggle at that level. Our coaches know this, and seem to be hitting the pavement pretty hard. Which is why I'm uncertain what to think about the player who is the subject line of this thread.

I also think fit, system and good coaching can compensate for relative recruiting weakness, but getting top talent is still important.
Bluejay Bilas

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting