2014 G Mike Williams (Rutgers Verbal Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

2014 G Mike Williams (Rutgers Verbal Commit)

Postby hilltopalum » Wed May 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Creighton offered Williams a few weeks ago. Williams is turning heads at EYBL for the NY Lightning. He's been arguably one of the top 10 performers thus far. Here is an article on his play.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/08/mike-williams-getting-more-attention-after-first-nike-eybl-event/
Last edited by hilltopalum on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hilltopalum

Re: 2014 G Mike Williams (Offered)

Postby @BlueJays » Mon May 20, 2013 1:25 pm

FROM ESPN INSIDER. 5/20/2013

2014 PG Mike Williams (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Loughlin) already has a big list of offers that includes Rutgers, Virginia, George Washington, Fordham, Drexel and Creighton, but Greg McDermott's Bluejays may be the one to beat in this recruiting battle.

The 6-foot-2, 175-pounder tells Recruiting Nation's Dave Telep that Creighton is charging hardest while Fordham and Rutgers are coming on. "Creighton is interesting because the Jays are changing leagues (joining the new incarnation of the Big East) and looking to expand their recruiting footprint," Telep writes.

Here's more from Recruiting Nation on the promising young point guard.

Recruiting Nation
2014 PG Mike Williams
"While his best asset may be his ability to make shots from long-range, he's actually a pretty versatile guard who is capable of playing on or off the ball, has an instinct for making the right pass at the right time, and gets more done off the bounce than he is often times given credit for. He's capable of putting points on the board in all three-ranges, has a natural feel for the game, and is a good rebounder from the backcourt. ... He's not a true point guard and a little undersized to play off the ball. He can be a little streaky as well, not just with his jumper, but with his total production on the offensive end of the floor. He needs to prove he's capable of handling the ball and making decisions against pressure on a full time basis and better utilize his quickness on the defensive end."
@BlueJays

Postby AttyAlum » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:51 am

Latest ESPN Insider article on Big East recruiting indicates that Williams could be the first high schooler from NY that we sign in our new foray into that area.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:34 am

I think we need to focus on some other guards before this guy. He's a good player, but I've always thought he's more a mid-major level guy. This website says under college projection "mid-major" http://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/mike-williams-pg-2014 And, if you look at his offers, His only other BCS offers are St.Johns and Rutgers. Like I said I think he's a good player, but we should take a chance on guys like Jared Terrell, Law, Demery, etc.
bluejayfan00

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:05 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:I think we need to focus on some other guards before this guy. He's a good player, but I've always thought he's more a mid-major level guy. This website says under college projection "mid-major" http://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/mike-williams-pg-2014 And, if you look at his offers, His only other BCS offers are St.Johns and Rutgers. Like I said I think he's a good player, but we should take a chance on guys like Jared Terrell, Law, Demery, etc.

I would agree. The last thing we need for our roster is a 6'2 combo guard (IZ, JM, DB). We need to stick to the 6'0-6'2 range for true PG's, and 6'3-6'5 for combo/SG's.
Jaysker12

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:I think we need to focus on some other guards before this guy. He's a good player, but I've always thought he's more a mid-major level guy. This website says under college projection "mid-major" http://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/mike-williams-pg-2014 And, if you look at his offers, His only other BCS offers are St.Johns and Rutgers. Like I said I think he's a good player, but we should take a chance on guys like Jared Terrell, Law, Demery, etc.

I would agree. The last thing we need for our roster is a 6'2 combo guard (IZ, JM, DB). We need to stick to the 6'0-6'2 range for true PG's, and 6'3-6'5 for combo/SG's.

Mr Williams is listed as a PG by the quoted sources given in this thread. So he has plenty of competition: Nairn, Benson, Cohen, Caleb Joseph, others.

Demery and Law are 6' 6" - 6' 7" SFs
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby ZMagic30 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:13 pm

Committed to Rutgers.
ZMagic30

Postby AttyAlum » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:18 pm

ZMagic30 wrote:Committed to Rutgers.

A few posters above stated that they didn't want him anyway. They are probably happy.

I think it is less than a positive development. According to this story, he is one of the best shooters in NYC: http://zagsblog.com/articles/mike-williams-to-rutgers/
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Return to Recruiting