2013 SG Joe Coleman (Transfer)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2013 SG Joe Coleman (Transfer)

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:04 pm

LJay wrote:
Jet915 wrote:You are speculating that we are waiting for someone else. Sure, Marshall would be a great get but from all accounts, he hasn't visited us yet. The fact is Coleman visited Creighton for 3 days and he also visited St. Mary's and he chose St. Mary's.

Scout.com reports that Marshall was at ASU starting Thursday and was at Creighton over the weekend.

Well, that's good to know, hopefully the staff can close the deal with him.
Jet915

Postby LJay » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Wow, what a great place to spend the remainder of your college years.

March 1, 2013

Saint Mary’s fans should enjoy the ride this March because it might be a while before the Gaels can get back to the NCAA Tournament.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions on Friday announced that the Saint Mary’s basketball program will be hit with a four-year probation, reduced scholarships for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons, recruiting restrictions and a five-game suspension next year for coach Randy Bennett among other penalties.

The penalties do not go into effect until after this season, meaning the Gaels (25-5) are free and clear to participate in the NCAA Tournament should they win the West Coast Tournament or receive an at-large bid. With All-American candidate Matthew Dellavedova among four seniors and with the recruiting restrictions coming down, it’ll be a challenge for the Gaels to stay relevant on the national stage.

Saint Mary’s stands accused of “failure to monitor” the program and an unnamed former assistant coach has been charged with “unethical conduct” and Bennett accused of “failure to promote atmosphere of compliance.”

Saint Mary's athletics director Mark Orr declined to name the assistant but said the coach started working at the university in 2008 and resigned in August 2009. The report also said the coach previously worked for a professional sports agency. Keith Moss, a former sports agent, coached at the university for the 2008-09 season and resigned in August 2009.

“As the Committee on Infractions report reveals, we can all do a better job of ensuring that our staff and student-athletes positively reflect the College in everything that we do,” Saint Mary’s athletics director Mark Orr said in a statement. “Coach Bennett understands Saint Mary’s strong commitment to NCAA rules compliance and we will continue to work with him to ensure that compliance remains paramount.

“We have already undertaken many corrective actions in response to the NCAA investigation and I am confident that we are a stronger institution because of them.”

The investigation stems from Saint Mary’s recruitment of three international prospects, including impermissible travel and accommodations for the players’ families. When investigating the program, the NCAA also uncovered violations of Gaels players receiving “impermissible training and coaching sessions from trainers not employed by the school,” the NCAA said.

“I am disappointed,” Bennett said. “I cooperated fully with the investigation and accepted responsibility where I came up short. The penalties are clearly excessive and although I’m still reviewing the report and trying to understand it, I know already that the report fails to include important mitigating information and tells only part of the story. I’ll continue to review the report and consider my options.”

The unnamed former assistant received a two-year show cause penalty, meaning that if any college wishes to hire him at any point the next two years, he and the school would have to seek the NCAA’s approval.

Other details of the NCAA report:

-- The probation will run from March 1, 2013 through Feb. 28, 2017.

-- Bennett may not recruit off-campus during the 2013-14 academic year.

-- Reduction of scholarships from 13 to 11 for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.

-- Elimination of foreign tours by the team until the start of the 2017-18 season.

-- The Gaels may not participate in an inseason tournament until the 2015-16 season.

-- Players may not receive skill instruction during the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby mredle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Jet915 wrote:You are speculating that we are waiting for someone else. Sure, Marshall would be a great get but from all accounts, he hasn't visited us yet. The fact is Coleman visited Creighton for 3 days and he also visited St. Mary's and he chose St. Mary's.

Sure. I'm SPECULATING that maybe we wanted someone else more. You're SPECULATING that the staff struck out. So what? Maybe an ocean front view is what he's searching for.
mredle

Postby jays911 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:25 am

mredle wrote:

Sure. I'm SPECULATING that maybe we wanted someone else more. You're SPECULATING that the staff struck out. So what? Maybe an ocean front view is what he's searching for.

If so, he chose the wrong place. I made the St. Mary's trip last season, and it is in the middle of nowhere in the east bay area way east of Oakland. Pretty campus, but the gym is smaller than Creighton Prep's, and the ocean is a long ride away.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:29 am

And mredle must be forgetting we've struck out on like the last 100 wings we've pursued - and spare me the recruiting battle we won for our news jucos over TCU, etc. The list of wings we've struck out on is long, and getting longer.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby mredle » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 am

McKinney's Neighbor wrote:And mredle must be forgetting we've struck out on like the last 100 wings we've pursued - and spare me the recruiting battle we won for our news jucos over TCU, etc. The list of wings we've struck out on is long, and getting longer.

It's interesting that this "problem" is positional. I'm sorry but you will have to explain that one to me cuz it makes no sense to me.
mredle

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 am

mredle wrote:
McKinney's Neighbor wrote:And mredle must be forgetting we've struck out on like the last 100 wings we've pursued - and spare me the recruiting battle we won for our news jucos over TCU, etc. The list of wings we've struck out on is long, and getting longer.

It's interesting that this "problem" is positional. I'm sorry but you will have to explain that one to me cuz it makes no sense to me.

I think a better word that "wing" would be "athlete". In last year's class, we targeted Shirmane Thomas, Marcus Foster, Kendal Harris, Jon Severe, and E.C. Matthews. The main attraction for those players is that they had a high level of athleticism, same as Coleman. Darian Harris is a great addition, but his main attractions are high IQ and good shooting, not athletic ability.
Jaysker12

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 am

Try this theory on for size.

Coleman has his list down to Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and us, and visits all three. The Zags don't make SG a high priority, and when they sign a top 125 guy at that spot for the '14 class, they withdraw, dropping his options to us and St. Mary's (which seems to be exactly what happened).

Coleman isn't a big fan of his choices, so he sits on them to see what else might pop up. Meanwhile, Marshall comes in this weekend for us. We estimate our chances as being very good; coupling that with Coleman's waffling, GM decides to go all-in on Marshall. On Monday morning, the staff calls Coleman to let him know that we've had a change of heart - since we can't have him taking what would be Marshall's scholie - and wish him the best of luck.

Now Coleman is down to one viable option. Realizing one is better than zero, he calls St. Mary's and lets them know that they're the winner of the sweepstakes. And by the afternoon, it's on Goodman's twitter feed.

That would explain everything. One can only hope that's the arc of things.
HandDownManDown

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:48 am

HandDownManDown wrote:Try this theory on for size.

Coleman has his list down to Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and us, and visits all three. The Zags don't make SG a high priority, and when they sign a top 125 guy at that spot for the '14 class, they withdraw, dropping his options to us and St. Mary's (which seems to be exactly what happened).

Coleman isn't a big fan of his choices, so he sits on them to see what else might pop up. Meanwhile, Marshall comes in this weekend for us. We estimate our chances as being very good; coupling that with Coleman's waffling, GM decides to go all-in on Marshall. On Monday morning, the staff calls Coleman to let him know that we've had a change of heart - since we can't have him taking what would be Marshall's scholie - and wish him the best of luck.

Now Coleman is down to one viable option. Realizing one is better than zero, he calls St. Mary's and lets them know that they're the winner of the sweepstakes. And by the afternoon, it's on Goodman's twitter feed.

Problem is, I'm pretty sure he never made it to Gonzaga, second, that would mean they were really sure about Marshall, yet we have yet to hear anything.

Jet915

Postby mredle » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:43 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:Try this theory on for size.

As long as we're speculating, your theory is as reasonable as everyone elses.

mredle

Previous

Return to Recruiting