2013 SG Joe Coleman (Transfer)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2013 SG Joe Coleman (Transfer)

Postby HandDownManDown » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Jet915 wrote:It could be us thinking we can get Marshall or him hoping a "bigger" program gets in the picture.

This, at least based on what I've heard. Joe is waiting to see if there's a Door #3, and what might be behind it.
HandDownManDown

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:36 pm

mredle wrote:
DEK wrote:Not sure how that is even a decision for him to make, must be other things at play.

I followed Coleman's recruitment pretty closely the first time around and dreamt of landing him back then, since then I have followed his career at Minnesota with a vengeance. As some others have mentioned, he maybe still has a way to go to live up to his high school potential but I would still like to have him.

Reason I bring this up is I specifically remember his AAU coach (or High School, can't remember which), saying that he thought Coleman would be the perfect fit for Creighton, playing in the MVC. There was a lot of discussion around players that could have been stars in a conference like the MVC and really get a chance to develop their game that opted for the "bright lights" and more national spotlight of a BCS program only to fade to oblivion and relative obscurity. Coleman decided he wanted the BCS spotlight - I don't know if he has changed his mind since and it wasn't all that it promised to be or what, but how he is considering St. Mary's and their high school gym compared to Creighton, being on national TV for the majority of our games, 17,000+ a game attendance....just very odd that he is coming down to choosing between those programs.

The "other things at play" might be that the CU coaching staff may think they have a realistic shot at Jermine Marshall. They may be holding off on pulling the switch on Coleman until they know what Marshall will do. The combination of Doug and Marshall might really be something special with the support we can provide both players. I have no insider info on this. It is all just rank speculation.

Seems like a tough call, if we have a realistic shot at Marshall (and I'm not sure that we do), and all the Coleman talk is accurate. I can see the appeal of a very proven guy for this one year, which is our last chance to further capitalize on Doug's awesomeness and only chance to make a great first impression in a non-major conference. But, I personally have quite a bit of apprehension of the first year or so post-Doug, and like the idea of getting a promising player for the future who has had flashes of very good high major play (not that my opinions have any relevance for the situation). If we don't land Coleman, our 2014 recruiting becomes that more crucial. We're certainly in the mix for some quality in that class, but maybe not as well-positioned as we could be given our former MVC status and the construction reality of the practice facility. Of course, it's pretty conceivable that neither guy becomes a Jay.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby Jet915 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:42 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:
Jet915 wrote:It could be us thinking we can get Marshall or him hoping a "bigger" program gets in the picture.

This, at least based on what I've heard. Joe is waiting to see if there's a Door #3, and what might be behind it.

I just hope Joe realizes that our door might not be open for very long. He can find himself playing for a sanctioned program in a high school gym over 1000 miles from home.
Jet915

Postby DEK » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:49 am

Bluejay Bilas wrote:
If we don't land Coleman, our 2014 recruiting becomes that more crucial. We're certainly in the mix for some quality in that class, but maybe not as well-positioned as we could be given our former MVC status and the construction reality of the practice facility.

Couldn't agree with you more - I think 2014 is quite possibly our most important recruiting class in the history of the program. (I can hear it now, "every class is the most important class" blah blah blah) But seriously though, Doug is a once in a lifetime player, moving from mid-major to major conference is a once in a lifetime event, we need to capitalize on both of these NOW with this 2014 class - and the practice facility you mentioned as well.

I would welcome Joe as an "anchor" of what would seemingly be the 2014 class, but whether he comes or not, we really need to get some talent on the hilltop with those scholarships.
DEK

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:35 am

There were quite a few doors he was looking at.

Six initially...
The 6'4'' is said to be looking at Iowa State, Providence, Mizzou, San Diego St, Maryland along with Creighton.

Then added the Zags and St Marys as the process unfolded. Who is he waiting for, Utah St? Or Tubby at Texas Tech? Are we being used as a fallback school?
The majority of the transfer cases are generally a quick affair, makes one wonder just what is up in this case. He'd be a nice addition.

Agree that the 2014 class is very important, moving forward.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby mannygakou » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Coleman heading to St. Mary's, according to Jeff Goodman

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... en-gophers
mannygakou

Postby ZMagic30 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Dammit.
ZMagic30

Postby DEK » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 pm

that is "interesting"
DEK

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:43 pm

We're riding a long wave of striking out on athletic wings.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Message board speculation/questioning time:

1. Did we actually lose to Saint Mary’s on this one? If so, was the primary reason:
A. Related to playing time hopes;
B. A preference of staff and/or players;
C. A school preference;
D. A desire to be in the SF Bay Area rather than Omaha;
E. A desire to move a couple notches down from the Big 10 in league competitiveness;
F. The thought that the WCC Gaels will be winning more games in a couple of years than the Big East Jays; or
G. Something not listed.

2. Was any sort of offer from us to him contingent on:
A. Whether or not another more coveted transfer was interested in Creighton;
B. What sort of feedback we were receiving from 2014 guys;
C. Gibbs, and scholarship numbers for the 13-14 season;
D. Whether or not all the new and current players were committed to being on the team moving forward; or
E. Some behind the scenes, off-court stuff we’ll never know.

I want to believe that news like this has as much to do with what our staff wants and expects. I nonetheless fear that we’re still going to lose guys the staff covets to bottom-tier high major and higher-tier mid-major programs. We now have the circumstances and resources to be at least a middle-tier high major program, but we’ll see what things look like by the time the Joe Coleman’s of the world are graduating. I think we’ll like what we see at that point, but that doesn’t stop me from having some concern when it’s July 1, and we have no Gibbs news, no 2014 commits, and the knowledge that we have at least three open scholarships for 2014-2015, one of which is opening up because of Doug completing his eligibility.
Bluejay Bilas

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting