2013 SG Joe Coleman (Transfer)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2013 SG Joe Coleman (Transfer)

Postby HandDownManDown » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:32 pm

The article said that he liked their history of developing guards, plus the prospect of more immediate PT.
HandDownManDown

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:39 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:The article said that he liked their history of developing guards, plus the prospect of more immediate PT.

I get that, and I'm sure there is truth to that. Just wondering what else was at play. You don't simply decide to go from your hometown Big 10 school to a very good, but quite likely trending downward WCC program because of (1) what that program’s done with a couple of great Southern Hemisphere guards and (2) likely playing time, when high majors are supposedly interested in you and you’ve also taken an official visit to a program 6 hours from home that objectively is better in most categories than Saint Mary's (not including that ugly 2013 game). I'm not trying to disrespect the Gaels or overestimate Creighton MBB's appeal, but if Mac is legitimately losing this sort of battle on the regular, I am concerned. That's why I'd like to know whether both schools (and others) were really offering the same thing.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:48 pm

Bluejay Bilas wrote:
HandDownManDown wrote:The article said that he liked their history of developing guards, plus the prospect of more immediate PT.

I get that, and I'm sure there is truth to that. Just wondering what else was at play. You don't simply decide to go from your hometown Big 10 school to a very good, but quite likely trending downward WCC program because of (1) what that program’s done with a couple of great Southern Hemisphere guards and (2) likely playing time, when high majors are supposedly interested in you and you’ve also taken an official visit to a program 6 hours from home that objectively is better in most categories than Saint Mary's (not including that ugly 2013 game). I'm not trying to disrespect the Gaels or overestimate Creighton MBB's appeal, but if Mac is legitimately losing this sort of battle on the regular, I am concerned. That's why I'd like to know whether both schools (and others) were really offering the same thing.

I completely agree with your first sentiment. With the move to the Big East, it was assumed that we'd win most battles of this type. With time being split between a sophomore Zierden and senior JUCO's Brooks and Milliken, I almost have to believe Coleman did not like his chances of receiving 20+ minutes a game. Especially if his 3 point shot had not improved the entire year. I wonder if the staff made that starkly clear to him.
Jaysker12

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:09 pm

This is pretty disappointing that we lost out to St. Mary's. The staff has struck out ALOT recently. I'll reserve judgement until we get 2014 commits but this trend is a little worrisome....
Jet915

Postby mredle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Jet915 wrote:This is pretty disappointing that we lost out to St. Mary's. The staff has struck out ALOT recently. I'll reserve judgement until we get 2014 commits but this trend is a little worrisome....

What is the assumption that the "staff struck out" based upon? We have seen posts where people have discussed the disappointment he has been in Minnesota. How high on our board was he really? When he talks about St. Mary's history in developing guards we immediately give that credit. When was the last time you heard one of these recruits tell the truth and say "Look, I'm going with my 5th choice because the first three weren't that interested in me and the 4th didn't want to commit to me because there is somebody they want more; because that guy has the potential, with what they've got, to help take them very far in the post season; and they don't think I can do that, and I don't want to be left at the altar with no good basketball options available."
mredle

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:52 pm

You are speculating that we are waiting for someone else. Sure, Marshall would be a great get but from all accounts, he hasn't visited us yet. The fact is Coleman visited Creighton for 3 days and he also visited St. Mary's and he chose St. Mary's.
Jet915

Postby LJay » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Hard to respect a decision based on the path of least resistance to getting PT. That sounds like a pussy to me. We are somehow 5 deep at the 2?! There is plenty of PT for talented 2's and 3's at CU over the next couple years.

For him to go to a team going on double secret probation is beyond baffling and I would think that of any kid that goes to St. Mary's over the next couple years.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby LJay » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Jet915 wrote:You are speculating that we are waiting for someone else. Sure, Marshall would be a great get but from all accounts, he hasn't visited us yet. The fact is Coleman visited Creighton for 3 days and he also visited St. Mary's and he chose St. Mary's.

Scout.com reports that Marshall was at ASU starting Thursday and was at Creighton over the weekend.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:02 pm

LJay wrote:Hard to respect a decision based on the path of least resistance to getting PT. That sounds like a pussy to me. We are somehow 5 deep at the 2?! There is plenty of PT for talented 2's and 3's at CU over the next couple years.

For him to go to a team going on double secret probation is beyond baffling and I would think that of any kid that goes to St. Mary's over the next couple years.

A pussy? Wow........
SonofFrankTomera

Postby bluejayfan00 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:04 pm

Well, now that this is settled, we can go all in for Marshall. I would honestly rather have him anyways. He could help a TON in the first year. An extra 13-15 points to go along with Dougies 20+ doesn't hurt :D
bluejayfan00

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting