2013 SG Joe Coleman (Transfer)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2013 SG Joe Coleman (Transfer)

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:15 pm

Gonzaga just landed SG Silas Melson for 2014. That should increase our chances with Coleman I would think. Seems like Coleman never visited Gonzaga (yet) according to Gonzaga insiders. Is it possible Coleman coming is contingent on the Grant Gibbs situation? If Gibbs gets a 6th year, he takes Doug's scholarship, if he doesn't get it, that leaves it for Coleman.
Jet915

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:49 pm

What I heard is Grant isn't getting Doug's scholarship either way.
HandDownManDown

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Also, after reading over the Zags board, they're lukewarm on him - and that might be a charitable conclusion. Some outright asked why they were recruiting him.
HandDownManDown

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:45 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:Also, after reading over the Zags board, they're lukewarm on him - and that might be a charitable conclusion. Some outright asked why they were recruiting him.

Link?
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby mredle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:Also, after reading over the Zags board, they're lukewarm on him - and that might be a charitable conclusion. Some outright asked why they were recruiting him.

Mark Few is still the coach right? I don't think the board will make those decisions.
mredle

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:26 pm

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com ... hp?t=46250

Of course the board isn't making decisions about Coleman; that was never my point. My point was simply that for whatever reason they were nowhere near as pumped about the potential of him as a Bulldog as we are as a Jay.
HandDownManDown

Postby Nord » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:30 pm

I can see why Gonzaga fans may not be super excited. I live in Minnesota and follow the Gophers. Coleman has not lived up to expectations -- 0.296 from 3, 0.680 from the line, only 8.7 ppg, 1.5 assists. What is so exciting again? He's streaky and needs to improve. He may be one of the better athletes on the team if the Jays get him, but the jumping and running are not as fun to watch when the ball clanks off the rim. I'd take him but temper the excitement a little until he works to improve his game.
Nord

Postby Jet915 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 3m
Creighton and Saint Mary's are both in the mix for Minnesota transfer Joe Coleman, per a source. Two years of eligibility remaining.

If this is the case, what's he waiting for unless he doesn't want to play high level competition and would rather play in a high school gym......I could be wrong but makes me think we are waiting on the Gibbs situation to sort out first.
Jet915

Postby Jaysker12 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:58 pm

So if I understand this situation correctly, transfers are on scholarship while sitting out for a year? I did not know that. Regardless, choosing between Gibbs and Coleman is a good pickle to be in. If Gibbs' request falls through and we accept a commit from Coleman, our coaching staff can focus recruiting efforts in the 2014 class on landing a PG/wing.
Jaysker12

Postby HandDownManDown » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:31 am

Take this for what it's worth.

I've heard that Grant isn't getting Doug's scholarship no matter how this plays out; even if Grant gets a 6th and we don't land anyone for Doug's scholarship, that it'll remain with Doug. He'll be paying his own way for however many postgrad credits he'll need to be eligible.

Of course this is just rumor, but the person that told me is the same guy (who I know for a fact has an 'in') who told me the first week of April that Yates was granted his release, but that he didn't want it public until the end of the semester, which was exactly what happened.

And that would make sense since Hilltopalum has us in for the Penn State guy as well. My guess is that Coleman is first up for Doug's scholarship, and if he passes they'll go doubly hard for the Penn State kid. That leaves Grant as a completely separate entity.
HandDownManDown

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting