2015 SG Matt McQuaid (Michigan State Verbal Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 SG Matt McQuaid (Michigan State Verbal Commit)

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:16 am

We look like a bunch of Husker fans. Shameful....
SonofFrankTomera

Postby jayball » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:23 am

SonofFrankTomera wrote:We look like a bunch of Husker fans. Shameful....

Nah these are Husker fans

we just have a few people that are chicken littles after a recruit chooses someone else.

Most folks usually relax after the class is finalized. We will find players.

I'm am really bullish on our future. I think the Big East will be a top 3-4 basketball league in years to come. I think we will be able to sell our fans, facilities, our style of play, and commitment to basketball to a lot of kids.

we just aren't going to get everyone that we want.

We will get enough to compete and prosper.
jayball

Postby bleedblue » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Here's my 2 cents on all this.

We lost a great recruit to MSU. The fact that we were in a final two with them says so much for how far this program has come. Yes it would have been great to get him but we will not get every recruit we go for when we are competing with the Michigan states and UNCs. I'm just happy we are competing with them for recruits now instead of Wichita and UNI. Time to move on to plan b whoever that may be now, Poyser looks to a great prospect too and we still have Clarke. Both are also top 100 prospects. Losing a recruit is nothing to ever be upset about, it's an 18 year old kid making a life choice that he thinks is best for him. Congrats to Matt and MSU best of luck to them.
bleedblue

Postby section202jay » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:44 pm

Chill folks. He had a chance to play for Izzo. That's tough to compete with. Good luck to him.
section202jay

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:04 pm

bleedblue wrote:Here's my 2 cents on all this.

We lost a great recruit to MSU. The fact that we were in a final two with them says so much for how far this program has come. Yes it would have been great to get him but we will not get every recruit we go for when we are competing with the Michigan states and UNCs. I'm just happy we are competing with them for recruits now instead of Wichita and UNI. Time to move on to plan b whoever that may be now, Poyser looks to a great prospect too and we still have Clarke. Both are also top 100 prospects. Losing a recruit is nothing to ever be upset about, it's an 18 year old kid making a life choice that he thinks is best for him. Congrats to Matt and MSU best of luck to them.

Not knocking Mich St - difficult to do as they have an outstanding program built up and has been in place for years now - but here's gtmo's take on recruiting (not just McQuaid):

The Jays have "done good" in so short a time (2nd season of competition coming up) in the Bigs. Who'd a thunk it 1.5 years ago: Creighton - in the a Big East. However, now that the "newness" has worn off - no more new car smell, a ding or 2 on the doors...It is high time to tighten our belts, roll up our sleeves, and bear down on the BE and the national scene. Creighton has been thru the recruiting wars before - have been in the top 2-3 for Top 100 kids before - and, as David to Goliath, the Jays have lost more than I care to dredge up- Stover, Westbrook, several Iowa kids, Eliason, on & on. No, CU will never get every kid it seeks, may never reach a goal of getting 1 in 8 or 1 in 10, but will improve our capture ratio. It will not lessen the sting when we lose one to the so-called elite. I just hate losing - especially when all around "expect" the Jays to lose.

I take no consolation, no good feelings, in being the Bridesmaid/2nd fiddle in these recruiting wars. As in the season, the object is to win the battle. There is no secondary feel good associated with losing a recruiting battle - whether it be Fresno St, Michigan St, Appalachian St, or "Show me" St. It is a loss, it stings, and when one of the so-called elite teams walks in and snags a kid from under us (UCLA- Stover, Westbrook), expects to get the kid based on their name & rep (Mich St), it's like someone twisting the blade after stabbing - as though it is a foregone conclusion that they win/we lose. Aargh! That is the worst aspect of battling on the top tier. No matter: UCLA, KU, the ACC, B1G, Texas, or any of the so-called elite schools...nothing better than breaking out a can of whup ass on any/all of them - whether on the court/pitch or in the recruiting wars!

Just saying.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Previous

Return to Recruiting