2015 SG Matt McQuaid (Michigan State Verbal Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 SG Matt McQuaid (Michigan State Verbal Commit)

Postby ZMagic30 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:59 am

Did he commit to Michigan State or did his dad commit to Michigan State?
ZMagic30

Postby R to the OB » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:59 am

taa71458 wrote:
R to the OB wrote:
taa71458 wrote:Not to mention they all have been recruiting Big East for a long long time. They're players were recruited for that. So far we have 4

There's no guarantee that Hegner, Hanson, Milliken, and Groselle will be able to compete. I'd like to think so, but we won't know until they are on the floor. All but Milliken were recruited to play in The Valley, not the Big East.

I was actually referring to Harrell, Gilmore, Watson and Huff

I know. I was just pointing out that the players we will likely lean on this year weren't recruited with BE in mind.
R to the OB

Postby SchlegelsPenthouse » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:01 am

westojay wrote:Exactly. We have great shooters already in Huff, Harrell.. McQuaid would have been icing on the cake. With Mo Watson, Patton, and Leon we will be fine. Yes we do want depth, but depth is overrated in college basketball. Most teams run about 8, maybe 9 deep.

And you left off Zierden. Guy was a shooter out of high school and was really starting to find his stroke before the injury. Hopefully he will come back stronger and get more shooting opportunities!
SchlegelsPenthouse

Postby HandDownManDown » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:05 am

Dude picked against us twice now. Let it go already.

Last year we wound up with 4 BE caliber guys. Huff was honorable mention MWC and Mo was probably the most talented player on his team, and was top 100 in HS to boot. Six recruits, six playas.

A little perspective: coming off a Final Four yeat, Wichita gave a scholarship to an NAIA D2 player who averaged like 4 pts and 2 rebounds. Other than Shamet it looks like their whole class will be sub-250. Think about that.

And the next person that rips on Hegner, Milliken, et. al gets put in time out - not only haven't you seen them, they were largely recruited for a different conference anyway.
HandDownManDown

Postby mel ott » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:08 am

HandDownManDown wrote:Dude picked against us twice now. Let it go already.

Last year we wound up with 4 BE caliber guys. Huff was honorable mention MWC and Mo was probably the most talented player on his team, and was top 100 in HS to boot. Six recruits, six playas.

A little perspective: coming off a Final Four yeat, Wichita gave a scholarship to an NAIA D2 player who averaged like 4 pts and 2 rebounds. Other than Shamet it looks like their whole class will be sub-250. Think about that.

And the next person that rips on Hegner, Milliken, et. al gets put in time out - not only haven't you seen them, they were largely recruited for a different conference anyway.

+1
mel ott

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:30 am

We have a great start to our 2015 class...2 excellent players (and the PG spot is covered) - Creighton is sitting pretty. Yep, it stings a bit to lose Matt. Great comment ZMagic30. ;) So be it - win a few, lose a few. Movin on.

Let's focus on bringing in Chris Clarke and hold the last spot for a Spring commit and/or one of the 800 or so transfers next spring.
The Jays are in great shape recruiting-wise...with room to negotiate in the Spring. Let's get ready to rumble for 2014-15.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby jfan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:56 am

I think that the MSU offer or the potential of the offer was the trigger for Matt leaving SMU. He had the offer from us for a long time and he didn't visit any other big name schools. I think the family connection was the deciding factor or else maybe he felt MSU was the higher profile program! Who knows. In any case, he did give us a serious look and obviously the more top 150 kids we get to take a look at Creighton, the better our chances for that type of commit. Before the BE, top 150 visits did not happen as often as they will now. Still stings!
jfan

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:03 am

Last edited by bluejayfan00 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluejayfan00

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:16 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:Haven't been this frustrated about a recruit in a long time. I'm more on the pessimistic side. Yeah, Patton blew up. But, there's a VERY good chance he doesnt even qualify and he'll end up having to go JUCO for 2 years because of his grades. That's probably 50/50 right now. He was going to be a project anyways, and Stewart probably will be as well. I think we shift all the attention to Chris Clarke. If we don't land him, then I'm not sure where we go from here. Also, McQuaid picked MSU because it's MSU. It's Izzo, the Big Ten. He was perfect for our system. MSU already has a similar player for the 2015 class and I really thought that was going to give us the edge. But, goodluck to him and maybe in a couple years we could be in this discussion with him again.

I'm sorry, but where are you hearing there's a "VERY" good chance that Patton isn't going to qualify? Don't talk about stuff you don't have actual knowledge of. Also, Patton won't be a "project". Have you seen him play in person? Have you seen him scrimmage with the current squad? Patton will be an big time impact player the minute he steps on campus. You can count on that. Folks here are seriously underestimating how good he is.

I can't stand these sky-is-falling posts. We missed out on a recruit. It happens. Move on. He's denied Creighton twice now. I don't foresee the staff giving it a 3rd try if things don't work out at MSU. They spent enough time and effort on him.

How about we take a second to consider all the good things happening with the program? Patton, Watson, Harrell, and LGIII are all top 50 to top 150 players. We've never had that on our roster. Ever. Stewart, by all accounts will likely be in at least some of the final Top 100/150 rankings based on comments from the folks that actually do the scouting and put the lists together. He'd likely already be there if it weren't for his injury over the summer. Add in Cole Huff, and our roster for 2015-2016 is loaded. We just opened one of the nicest practice facilities in the country. We have had plenty of good news lately. Stop acting like a missed recruit means the program is going under.

Rant over. Go Jays.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby LynchMob » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:23 am

You people are ridiculous. Rome wasn't built in a day. You think that if you don't have a top-10 class every year you can't succeed? Creighton has never had a top class or anything close.

Go ask WCC how many top-10 (or top-anything) classes they've had on the way to the Final Four.
Last edited by LynchMob on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting