2015 recruits

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 recruits

Postby HandDownManDown » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Nobody's laughing because no one is really paying attention. Or if they are they likely feel a lot better about the two we do have than you do.
HandDownManDown

Postby cu1979 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:22 pm

my thoughts are that the coaches are happy with the roster for next year. They were holding out for Mcquaid and Clarke but they didin't get them.

They couldn have gone after lesser recruits but they think that they may have better options in the spring. (transfers, late bloomers)

I trust the coaches will eventually get a team that will put them towards the top in the Big East.
cu1979

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:42 pm

cu1979 wrote:my thoughts are that the coaches are happy with the roster for next year. They were holding out for Mcquaid and Clarke but they didin't get them.

They couldn have gone after lesser recruits but they think that they may have better options in the spring. (transfers, late bloomers)

I trust the coaches will eventually get a team that will put them towards the top in the Big East.

Agreed. First people shouldn't underestimate Stewart. He was blowing up before getting hurt and I think he ends up in the top 150.

Second, the work our coached have done is amazing. . Two top 100,150 guys last year, two more this year, and two transfers who were looking at schools that traditionally finish above the legacy big East teams that remain. .. Huff and Watson are top 25 type recruits in my mind.

Winning 20 this year and 25+ next year will be the wake up call for the conference
Chicagojayfan

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:50 pm

Patton is singlehandedly saving this class. Otherwise, I think there would be some serious cause for concern. Can't bank on a top 50 player being in your backyard every year.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:07 pm

Duke1Agn wrote:Patton is singlehandedly saving this class. Otherwise, I think there would be some serious cause for concern. Can't bank on a top 50 player being in your backyard every year.

Not to pick on you as I like your posts, but I think people who bag on Stewart are either ill-informed or lazy. Obviously, we'll see where he ends up in the rankings and how he plays, but he was blowing up when he hurt his hand and missed a lot of the summer evals.. and had a lot of top programs coming to see him when we found him.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
Duke1Agn wrote:Patton is singlehandedly saving this class. Otherwise, I think there would be some serious cause for concern. Can't bank on a top 50 player being in your backyard every year.

Not to pick on you as I like your posts, but I think people who bag on Stewart are either ill-informed or lazy. Obviously, we'll see where he ends up in the rankings and how he plays, but he was blowing up when he hurt his hand and missed a lot of the summer evals.. and had a lot of top programs coming to see him when we found him.

I'm a Stewart fan, and I think he's going to be a really nice player for us. Speaking strictly from a "splash" perspective, he was under the radar and we didn't have fight it out with any schools to get him. I suppose that's why I didn't mention him above. Not knocking him at all; I'm really glad he's a Jay.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby HandDownManDown » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:08 pm

I don't buy this. It's like saying that if UConn hadn't pulled the St. Joe's game out of the fire their season would have been crappy. They didn't, and we wound up with Patton.

We're still green as it applies to the BE. We were never going to walk in and knock off UConn for guys. Never. Stuff like that takes time.

What we do have are six terrific recruits AND guys like Hegner and Hanson. That is four years of quality hoops. Four more years of national relevance and success and we start winning battles like this. In the mean time, we will continue to be opportunistic, outhustle people, outcoach others, and be just fine.
HandDownManDown

Postby HandDownManDown » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:14 pm

And Rob, I can't believe you so passionately pump up Hanson on the Holyland board - based on everything you've posted here, an unrated, under scouted guy like him is the opposite of what type of recruit you practically DEMAND we cash in on, lest we become league laughingstocks.
HandDownManDown

Postby R to the OB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:54 pm

I don't think I ever said anything derogatory about Stewart or Patton. I strongly believe that they are going to be great players. All I said was that on paper this class doesn't look very strong so far to Big East Fans. You've read what guys like Bill Marsh and Hoya are saying on HLOH, that Creighton needs a major talent upgrade. They only see the stars and ratings. Stewart, Patton, Watson, and Huff are all great under the radar type players and will get results on the court, however.
My main concern is this question: how long can we rely on under the radar guys or late bloomers in our backyard? Can we expect another Patton or Stewart to land in our lap? I don't know the answer to that.
R to the OB

Postby westojay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:08 pm

R to the OB wrote:I don't think I ever said anything derogatory about Stewart or Patton. I strongly believe that they are going to be great players. All I said was that on paper this class doesn't look very strong so far to Big East Fans. You've read what guys like Bill Marsh and Hoya are saying on HLOH, that Creighton needs a major talent upgrade. They only see the stars and ratings. Stewart, Patton, Watson, and Huff are all great under the radar type players and will get results on the court, however.
My main concern is this question: how long can we rely on under the radar guys or late bloomers in our backyard? Can we expect another Patton or Stewart to land in our lap? I don't know the answer to that.

Now with Watson and Huff, this is where you are wrong. Those two are NOT under the radar guys, they are proven legit Div 1 basketball players. Mo was 3rd in the nation in assists last year and Illinois had no answer for him in the NIT game. Huff was 2nd on his team in scoring and one of the better outside shooters in the nation last year. Huff has done nothing but garner praise for his game and hard work ever since he has set foot on campus this year. Would not say Patton is under the radar anymore. In fact, he is one of the best big man prospects in the nation now. And if you are going to go by what other BE team fans say on a message board about our talent evaluation than so be it I guess. Would you consider Harrell or Gilmore to be under the radar?
Last edited by westojay on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westojay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting