2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Postby vivid_dude » Tue May 12, 2015 11:24 am

taa71458 wrote:Kind of like when people say Marcus Foster will not come to Creighton.

Nice! I had to go find it...

ictjay wrote:
Jays26 wrote:So what is the latest (on Foster)?

Is there any smoke here?????

??? [Foster] will not be at CU at anytime if that's what you are asking.
vivid_dude

Postby ictjay » Tue May 12, 2015 11:39 am

Yep, I should have put that one up instead of LG3. Nothing surprises me anymore. Friend of mines kid is a walkon at KSU. Figured that was as solid as any. Anymore, I figure if I'm batting 50% I'm doing well.
ictjay

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:10 pm

There's maybe a line that those who aren't close to the coaches should not cross when it comes to message board rhetoric: stating opinions as definitive fact (looking at you, ictjay). That said, most all of us have said things on this board we wish we could ctrl-z. No one should have to ingratiate themselves because something they posted on the internet was incorrect. It is common knowledge in this community which users have legitimate connections to our coaching staff. the remaining 95% of us who frequent this board, but do not have those connections, are very grateful for the information we receive through you. That said, in a vacuum where little to no information is available (or if someone feels that sharing said information on the internet is inappropriate), a message board is a place for friendly conjecture, discussion, and debate. I do not believe in the censorship of people's opinions simply because they are not "in the know". If everyone approached message boards with that mentality, where would that leave us? Twiddling our thumbs at home waiting for a new article on CU from the World-Herald? Us fans who are supportive of CU athletics deserve a place to celebrate wins, bemoan losses, question our coaching staff's abilities, and speculate on recruiting/ roster changes. We take in the information we can (going to games, following guys on twitter, talking to the staff, attending practice) and form our own opinions on certain matters. It's much easier to take a bold stance on these opinions because we are making them behind the safety of a computer screen. Thus is the nature of the internet, and our little niche corner of it

I understand all this jawing is mostly harmless fun, but can we dial it back just a little bit? :) Sorry for the longwinded lecture-y post
Jaysker12

Postby vivid_dude » Tue May 12, 2015 2:07 pm

I don't think anyone is trying to censor anyone. It's all in how you word it. If these two gentlemen said "I don't think Foster is coming to Creighton" or "Harrell shouldn't redshirt because...", I would have read it and moved along. Most would have. But they put it out there definitively, as fact. They may have had some solid justification for the opinion, but that still doesn't make it fact, as it was stated. See the distinction?

At the end of the day, people can say almost whatever they want on here. But if you state something as fact with very little foundation or basis, you open yourself to disparagement. I predicted in the preseason that Toby Hegner would be our best player in 2014-2015. But I didn't say "Toby Hegner will clearly be our best player this season." It's the difference between a wrong prediction and stating something as fact, which is clearly opinion.

Offseason semantics debates! Gotta love 'em!
vivid_dude

Postby PorkTornado » Tue May 12, 2015 2:23 pm

vivid_dude wrote:I don't think anyone is trying to censor anyone. It's all in how you word it. If these two gentlemen said "I don't think Foster is coming to Creighton" or "Harrell shouldn't redshirt because...", I would have read it and moved along. Most would have. But they put it out there definitively, as fact. They may have had some solid justification for the opinion, but that still doesn't make it fact, as it was stated. See the distinction?

At the end of the day, people can say almost whatever they want on here. But if you state something as fact with very little foundation or basis, you open yourself to disparagement. I predicted in the preseason that Toby Hegner would be our best player in 2014-2015. But I didn't say "Toby Hegner will clearly be our best player this season." It's the difference between a wrong prediction and stating something as fact, which is clearly opinion.

Offseason semantics debates! Gotta love 'em!

You know something that I can say with 100% certainty? Creighton number one. Everything else sucks.
"I know words, I have the best words."
PorkTornado

Postby Jaysker12 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:47 pm

When does summer league start?? Went back and reread a lot of this thread...I'm getting quite anxious to see what Justin will have to offer to the team this coming fall. With Cole and Toby likely taking 95% of the available minutes at the 4 spot, it will be interesting to see the shakedown at the 5. Sure hope this isn't the case, but it would really be something if the coaches decided JP was ready to contribute more than Zach and they ended up giving him more minutes. I would love it if someone 'in the know' would be able to keep the board updated on his progress through summer practices - weight, adjusting to game speed, skill development etc.
Jaysker12

Postby JacobPadilla » Sun May 17, 2015 11:41 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:When does summer league start?? Went back and reread a lot of this thread...I'm getting quite anxious to see what Justin will have to offer to the team this coming fall. With Cole and Toby likely taking 95% of the available minutes at the 4 spot, it will be interesting to see the shakedown at the 5. Sure hope this isn't the case, but it would really be something if the coaches decided JP was ready to contribute more than Zach and they ended up giving him more minutes. I would love it if someone 'in the know' would be able to keep the board updated on his progress through summer practices - weight, adjusting to game speed, skill development etc.

Another month or so. Summer League starts late June.
JacobPadilla

Postby vivid_dude » Mon May 18, 2015 10:07 am

Jaysker12 wrote:...it would really be something if the coaches decided JP was ready to contribute more than Zach and they ended up giving him more minutes.

This raises a question (for me anyway). Which would people prefer?

Scenario 1: JP redshirts, works with top shelf coaches on his weaknesses, hits the weights for a year, gets a year of practice against GG, ZH, etc., gets used to college, comes in more mentally and physically prepared to play on a 2016-2017 team that, on paper, seems even better than what we have this year and maintains 4 years of playing eligibility.

Scenario 2: No redshirt, loses that valuable year of eligibility, plays 8-10 minutes per game, shows flashes but creates headaches as an inexperienced, green player, but gains valuable real-game experience and some confidence going forward.

Of course, there are other scenarios where JP doesn't redshirt and becomes an All Big East caliber player, but those are more unlikely (IMO), so of the two above, which is the more responsible choice? For JP? For Creighton?
vivid_dude

Postby Duke1Agn » Mon May 18, 2015 10:13 am

I don't think there is any scenario where Patton redshirts. So I'll go with scenario 2, but will say he gets closer to 10-12 minutes a game.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby BlueJay_Slim » Mon May 18, 2015 10:48 am

I agree...even if it's for perception...we don't want other top-shelf recruits looking at Creighton and thinking we would redshirt them.
BlueJay_Slim

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting