2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Postby cujaysfan » Mon May 18, 2015 10:54 am

if nothing else - he's a change of pace vs the other two bigs

where they're physical bangers - patton is finesse at this point.

have to believe there will be some minutes for him. plus - we really want him to have some seasoning as 2016-17 should be a team to do some damage.
cujaysfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon May 18, 2015 10:58 am

2010 - WA - NR ...#2 HS recruit - redshirts (updated)
2011 - Geoff - NR ...#2 HS recruit - redshirts (updated)
2012 - IZ - NR ...best HS recruit - redshirts (updated)
2013 - Hegner - NR ...best HS recruit - redshirts
2014 - Harrell - #68-84...best HS recruit - redshirts
2014 - Gilmore - #134... #2 HS recruit - DNP
2015 - Patton - #24-45...best HS recruit - redshirts?
2015 - Thomas - NR... #2 HS recruit - redshirts or DNP?
2016 - ?? - #??---best HS recruit - redshirts?
2017 -

Can you legally rs a top 50/top 25 recruit? Is it done? Has it been done before? As noted on Holyland - Bo Ryan's recruiting suffered as he
either RS'd or DNP'd a top kid.

Postby MUBoxer » Fri May 15, 2015 10:35 am

chicagojayfan wrote:
To be blunt, I probably discount them more than I should simply because their "crystal ball" seems to be the kiss of death for Creighton's recruiting. If they say it's a done deal, the guy is going somewhere else.

So you aren't objective, thus discounting them and how reputable they can be.

Regarding your 5 star talent point McDermott was not a 5 star talent in High sschool, flew tremendously under the radar, so did D Wade, but neither of them were 5 star talent in high school.

I will say this, go the Bo Ryan route and red shirt or barely play your biggest recruit in ages and see what happens. It took years before Bo Ryan wasn't laughed out the doors of top recruits.

Update: Redshirting IS a trend at CU.
If Patton should RS it would definitely continue (denote) a trend by the coaching staff. Such a trend would be used by
recruiting opponents as a weapon against the Jays. "Frosh redshirt at CU" would be the watchword phrase in the campaigns
of opposing coaches and recruiters.
Update: It is not farfetched to imagine that opposing staffs are Already using our documented history against us.

I expect Justin to initially get 10-15 mpg of PT, which should grow to his alloted 20 minutes during mid to late January. GG 20 mpg and JP 20 mpg. GG started 1st half of season, with perhaps JP getting the starting nod later in the season. Hanson and Hegner may see spot duty at the 5 - less than 5 mpg.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Mon May 18, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby vivid_dude » Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 am

Very good points about the perception. I wonder if this staff would factor that into their decision? If they truly believe that it is in JP's best interest to redshirt, would they act opposite to that just so we wouldn't gain a "reputation?" Coach Mac doesn't strike me as a coach/leader that would let perceptions interfere with what's best for his players. Same probably applied to Coach Ryan. Mac, however, strikes me as more "savvy" than Coach Ryan, so maybe he would. But...none of us thought Harrell would redshirt. Holy crap, I'm talking in circles.

Let's all pray that JP comes on campus and makes it a non-story by being so good, it's not even a consideration.
vivid_dude

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:22 pm

The coaches should not, and will not, withhold a redshirt year from Justin if he needs it, for the sake of giving off the 'proper image' to other top recruits. That will play absolutely zero factor into the decision. If our coaches are indeed smarter than the ranking services, as many around here boast, they know how good a player JP is. They won't care that a few arrogant kids, 99% of whom we won't be in competition for regardless, are put off by the fact that our coaches care the most for our recruits' longevity and wellbeing. Each player is unique in their level of readiness for D 1. Sure, you rarely see a top 25 recruit receive a redshirt, but if that's what is best, shouldn't it be what is done? On the flip side, if you don't redshirt him and it becomes sorely obvious he needed it, what do you do then? You're stuck with a player for an entire season who looks lost on the court, can't contribute anything meaningful, and missed out on all the potential development that a redshirt could have given them. Sound familiar?

I believe the coaches will do what is best for Justin and his development as a basketball player. Anyone making definitive statements about his roster status next season better be prepared to look stupid on here if you're incorrect...if you're asking my unprofessional prediction: for the sole reason we successfully managed three big men in the rotation last year, he plays, and his minutes gradually increase throughout the season. Hits the weights hard over next summer and comes back looking miles better in his second year
Jaysker12

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon May 18, 2015 1:45 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:On the flip side, if you don't redshirt him and it becomes sorely obvious he needed it, what do you do then? You're stuck with a player for an entire season who looks lost on the court, can't contribute anything meaningful, and missed out on all the potential development that a redshirt could have given them. Sound familiar?

I believe the coaches will do what is best for Justin and his development as a basketball player. ...if you're asking my unprofessional prediction: for the sole reason we successfully managed three big men in the rotation last year, he plays, and his minutes gradually increase throughout the season. Hits the weights hard over next summer and comes back looking miles better in his second year

What you talking about, Willis?

WA, GG, IZ (4th yr Junior), and Hegner (3rd yr Sophomore) have all "benefitted" from receiving a redshirt year. Having gained 5 years to play 4, all four have shown consistent ups and downs since then in their careers to date. Perhaps the redshirting "benefits" are overstated? Jaysker12, are you suggesting they be given the LG3 treatment? All are good roleplaying players, but none of them to date has shown the potential to "break out" as a star player. Perhaps that extra year would be better served by gaining an additional player vs holding over an older, well known, but less productive player?

:o
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby mredle » Mon May 18, 2015 2:58 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:2010 - WA - NR ...#2 HS recruit - redshirts (updated)
2011 - Geoff - NR ...#2 HS recruit - redshirts (updated)
2012 - IZ - NR ...best HS recruit - redshirts (updated)
2013 - Hegner - NR ...best HS recruit - redshirts
2014 - Harrell - #68-84...best HS recruit - redshirts
2014 - Gilmore - #134... #2 HS recruit - DNP
2015 - Patton - #24-45...best HS recruit - redshirts?
2015 - Thomas - NR... #2 HS recruit - redshirts or DNP?
2016 - ?? - #??---best HS recruit - redshirts?
2017 -

Can you legally rs a top 50/top 25 recruit? Is it done? Has it been done before? As noted on Holyland - Bo Ryan's recruiting suffered as he
either RS'd or DNP'd a top kid.

Postby MUBoxer » Fri May 15, 2015 10:35 am

chicagojayfan wrote:
To be blunt, I probably discount them more than I should simply because their "crystal ball" seems to be the kiss of death for Creighton's recruiting. If they say it's a done deal, the guy is going somewhere else.

So you aren't objective, thus discounting them and how reputable they can be.

Regarding your 5 star talent point McDermott was not a 5 star talent in High sschool, flew tremendously under the radar, so did D Wade, but neither of them were 5 star talent in high school.

I will say this, go the Bo Ryan route and red shirt or barely play your biggest recruit in ages and see what happens. It took years before Bo Ryan wasn't laughed out the doors of top recruits.

Update: Redshirting IS a trend at CU.
If Patton should RS it would definitely continue (denote) a trend by the coaching staff. Such a trend would be used by
recruiting opponents as a weapon against the Jays. "Frosh redshirt at CU" would be the watchword phrase in the campaigns
of opposing coaches and recruiters.
Update: It is not farfetched to imagine that opposing staffs are Already using our documented history against us.

I expect Justin to initially get 10-15 mpg of PT, which should grow to his alloted 20 minutes during mid to late January. GG 20 mpg and JP 20 mpg. GG started 1st half of season, with perhaps JP getting the starting nod later in the season. Hanson and Hegner may see spot duty at the 5 - less than 5 mpg.

DOUG MCDERMOTT?
AUSTIN CHATMAN?
ZACH HANSON?

If they think you will benefit from it and the team doesn't need a skill set that you bring (ala DMac) you may redshirt, if not, you don't.
mredle

Postby HandDownManDown » Mon May 18, 2015 6:10 pm

This is pretty simple IMO.

Last year...happened. As such I have real doubts that Mac will do any game playing with PT; we need to show real improvement or we are really risking our momentum. Most of the hoops world has given us a pass on last season and even gave our efforts with a talent challenged team the thumbs up, but that is probably a one shot deal. So, its my guess that whoever is the best at what Mac needs will play, regardless of recruiting rankings.

Patton's PT will all depend on his skills and our needs. I can't see him redshirting unless there's absolutely no way he can be a contributor because the three options at the 5 all come with downside, either due to health, inexperience, or stalled development. There's opportunity there.

And plus, redshirting would be pointless if theres a chance for him to bail to the NBA after four years of college. He blows up as a redshirt junior and you'd have to think that's it due to his height and skill set.

So no to the redshirt, PT TBD, IMO.
HandDownManDown

Postby BigMac » Fri May 22, 2015 4:42 pm

I see JP as kind of a 6'11" Josh Doltzer or Antoine Young as far as being an early Omaha recruit who the coaches have n kept track of closely, know how important he is for the city and school and future local talent. He's an important franchise player who will hopefully shine in Italy and then swat the opening tip on opening night and every game after. My humble opinion. FWIW, he's the highest ranked frosh since Benoit Benjamin.
BigMac

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Thu May 28, 2015 8:26 am

BigMac wrote:FWIW, he's the highest ranked frosh since Benoit Benjamin.

Real Bilas posted this newspaper clipping this morning. It's from 1982. Sorted by height, not ranking. Insane though that Creighton had 1 of the top 40, and Omaha produced 2 of the top 40.

1992 was impressive for the Omaha metro, too, but not two top 40 guys impressive (#16 and #76, and Nee with those two plus #48):

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.sport.basketball.college/RqxqH-Achn8
Bluejay Bilas

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:49 pm

Justin is playing in an All-Star game at Creighton Prep tonight if anyone is bored. Boys start at 7:45.
JacobPadilla

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting