2017 Aguek Arop Omaha South (San Diego St Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 Aguek Arop Omaha South

Postby Duke1Agn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:14 pm

1620Jay wrote:
R to the OB wrote:What I don't understand is why a coach would put in a ton of time getting a commit from a player that wouldn't step on the floor for at least two years. I would rather focus on players for this year and next rather than two years or more down the road. How would a coach know that a player wouldn't de-commit in a year and end up signing somewhere else? He wouldn't. Just seems like a waste of time this early on. Maybe Miles and his staff didn't put in much to get Arop to commit, but probably not.

It's not a bad thing to get in on prospects early. My guess is Arop's commitment hasn't had any impact on Nebraska's class this year. It didn't stop Miles from doing work to pick up a commit from Andrew White.

That's a really nice snag. He'll be good.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:22 pm

b-jay fan wrote:Maybe I am missing something and the comments were a bit more tongue in cheek than I was reading (much can be lost in translation over message board communication), but I would appreciate it if we would hold ourselves to a bit higher standard than we currently are with regard to constantly needing to one up the team from Lincoln if something goes right for them. Great for them, they got an in-state recruit. I don't follow this all close enough to know whether we had in fact cooled on this prospect, but that being said, we don't need to lower ourselves to their level saying we were going after "better prospects"--we are going after different prospects. I hope the state of Nebraska turns into a much more fertile recruiting ground than it has been in the past, and as of right now, it seems to be heading in that direction. There were many years where the state did not have a high D-1 prospect. Now, we have several at a time. This is great news for Creighton.

If you couldn't tell that stuff was tongue in cheek, you must not spend much time reading message boards. It was pretty obviously so and in reference to prior recruiting discussions. Heck, even 1620Sker didn't take that bait.

Pretty much everyone would have been pumped for an oral commit to CU from this kid, even so all that can happen in the next three years.

Good day for Miles and company, no doubt.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:25 pm

1620Jay wrote:
R to the OB wrote:What I don't understand is why a coach would put in a ton of time getting a commit from a player that wouldn't step on the floor for at least two years. I would rather focus on players for this year and next rather than two years or more down the road. How would a coach know that a player wouldn't de-commit in a year and end up signing somewhere else? He wouldn't. Just seems like a waste of time this early on. Maybe Miles and his staff didn't put in much to get Arop to commit, but probably not.

It's not a bad thing to get in on prospects early. My guess is Arop's commitment hasn't had any impact on Nebraska's class this year. It didn't stop Miles from doing work to pick up a commit from Andrew White.

I think it is a good take for them. My view is that his upside depends on how much bigger he can get and on his skills development. He's very good for his age, but he looks destined to play SF, so they have to want him to grow at least a couple of inches. He does have very long arms and good athleticism, so the projection is good. Locking him up now means they have a better chance of weathering the storm of other coaches if he blows up. At the very least, he's a good, athletic local guy to help make inroads on the younger kids who are coming up in NE.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
b-jay fan wrote:Maybe I am missing something and the comments were a bit more tongue in cheek than I was reading (much can be lost in translation over message board communication), but I would appreciate it if we would hold ourselves to a bit higher standard than we currently are with regard to constantly needing to one up the team from Lincoln if something goes right for them. Great for them, they got an in-state recruit. I don't follow this all close enough to know whether we had in fact cooled on this prospect, but that being said, we don't need to lower ourselves to their level saying we were going after "better prospects"--we are going after different prospects. I hope the state of Nebraska turns into a much more fertile recruiting ground than it has been in the past, and as of right now, it seems to be heading in that direction. There were many years where the state did not have a high D-1 prospect. Now, we have several at a time. This is great news for Creighton.

If you couldn't tell that stuff was tongue in cheek, you must not spend much time reading message boards. It was pretty obviously so and in reference to prior recruiting discussions. Heck, even 1620Sker didn't take that bait.

Pretty much everyone would have been pumped for an oral commit to CU from this kid, even so all that can happen in the next three years.

Good day for Miles and company, no doubt.

Maybe a bit tongue in cheek, but some reality there. Were we interested? Definitely, but I don't think we were willing to offer and take him this early without seeing if he gets bigger and his skills develop. We might even be more interested in Marques Wilson than in him.

I think he's a good pickup for NU and it is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years. Omaha has more BB talent than I can remember seeing coming up soon.
Chicagojayfan

Postby R to the OB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:38 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:Maybe a bit tongue in cheek, but some reality there. Were we interested? Definitely, but I don't think we were willing to offer and take him this early without seeing if he gets bigger and his skills develop. We might even be more interested in Marques Wilson than in him.
I think he's a good pickup for NU and it is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years. Omaha has more BB talent than I can remember seeing coming up soon.

This is great for all college teams in the state, not just Creighton and Nebraska.
R to the OB

Postby 1620Jay » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:26 pm

R to the OB wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:Maybe a bit tongue in cheek, but some reality there. Were we interested? Definitely, but I don't think we were willing to offer and take him this early without seeing if he gets bigger and his skills develop. We might even be more interested in Marques Wilson than in him.

This is great for all college teams in the state, not just Creighton and Nebraska.
Arop's 8th grade brother is expected to attract high major interest also. My guess is both NU and CU will be after him. Major talent in Nebraska for sure helps when recruiting against Big East and Big Ten foes. Hope it continues.
1620Jay

Postby Trifecta » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:08 pm

Some people posting on this thread should get their sarcasm detectors recalibrated lol.

Seriously, a couple of great commits for Smiles today
Trifecta

Postby JacobPadilla » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:57 am

From what I've heard, Creighton definitely was paying attention to him (they saw him play a handful of times this summer, and he visited unofficially), but wasn't ready to make the offer and was surprised Nebraska offered and he committed so quickly. I'm happy for him though. He's a good kid with a great work ethic.

Chicago, from what I've heard, your statement about Wilson is true.

As for putting in effort for a kid so young, I don't see how it detracts much at all from the overall recruiting effort. It's not a "waste of time". Nebraska saw him play at tournaments that several other prospects participated in, so it's not like they went out to the middle of nowhere to see him by himself. He's an in-state kid, so they didn't have to go far. An unofficial visit for him was simply a 45-minute drive. And from what I can tell (I'm going to try to get a hold of him soon), he just really liked Miles (and the facilities impressed him as well).

His 8th grade brother's name is Akol, by the way.
JacobPadilla

Postby section202jay » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:50 am

I think it's awesome to see all this talent coming out of Omaha now. Three D1 teams all within a roughly 40 mile radius will need that to continue. I'm excited to see how guys like Thurman, Patton and Arop do for each school. Obviously there will be others.
section202jay

Postby White&BlueDude » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:25 am

1620 The Zone reported this morning that Nebraska and Arop have parted ways. Sounds like Miles pulled the scholarship from him.
White&BlueDude

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting