recruiting results discussion thread

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: recruiting results discussion thread

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:33 am

HandDownManDown wrote:Walker/Sears, Korver/House, and Funk/Tolliver all would have been top 3; Providence and X barely got in but those weren't even bubble teams, and Booker's POY season was on par with PC/X performancewise.

+1 Nova, Marquette and GT are top-flight programs, and we're playing catchup. But Butler, X and CU have been competing already at a higher level than the rest of the BE, but with lower-rated talent. Some other BE teams have made bigger runs in the tourney. but we beat them in consistency. Now we're stepping up our program and we have the new league to help us. I'm not sure CU has ever had a better run of recruiting than the last 12 months: Ronnie, LGIII, Mo, Cole, Kreklow, Justin. And we're not even done this year. McQuaid went to MSU. Move on.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:14 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
HandDownManDown wrote:Walker/Sears, Korver/House, and Funk/Tolliver all would have been top 3; Providence and X barely got in but those weren't even bubble teams, and Booker's POY season was on par with PC/X performancewise.

+1 Nova, Marquette and GT are top-flight programs, and we're playing catchup. But Butler, X and CU have been competing already at a higher level than the rest of the BE, but with lower-rated talent. Some other BE teams have made bigger runs in the tourney. but we beat them in consistency. Now we're stepping up our program and we have the new league to help us. I'm not sure CU has ever had a better run of recruiting than the last 12 months: Ronnie, LGIII, Mo, Cole, Kreklow, Justin. And we're not even done this year. McQuaid went to MSU. Move on.

Good points here. One thing that is interesting is that in the BE the big programs that are on the east coast have recruiting pools that can tap into the highly rated athletes. Teams from the midwest who are not national names may have long term success but their athletes are often not as highly rated.

I think that is what has allowed Butler, X and CU to compete at such a high level over a long period of time. They are getting very good athletes, but guys who are more under the radar then they would be if they played on the east coast. And that doesn't just apply to smaller schools like those 3, look at Wisconsin's recruiting lists. It's a whole lot of 3-star athletes who aren't on a top 100 list anywhere. They get solid, smart players with good skills who fit their system... hmm, maybe that's something that would work?.. (don't tell St. Johns).
Chicagojayfan

Postby cu8493 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:01 am

Before people criticize the coaches too much, just think how frustrating it has to be for the coaches to chase a 17 year old kid for so long and have him continue to lead you on (and I don't mean that in a bad way) when it becomes apparent after the fact that you were probably never more than Plan B or Plan C for that kid. I don't think McQuaid was ever serious about coming to CU unless nothing else materialized. I'm not convinced he wouldn't have recommitted to SMU had MSU fallen through. We were his best alternative, but it would seem apparent that MSU was always the dream school. When they didn't offer earlier, he took SMU over us. I assume figuring if he can't go to MSU, then he might as well play close to home. When MSU became a possibility, he backed out of his SMU commitment and "reopened" his recruiting. Of course, the coaches had no option but to go all out to try again to sell him on CU. In the end it was probably an uphill battle they couldn't win. Yet, they pressed nonetheless, because you can't afford not to just on the off chance that it doesn't work out with his No. 1 option.

Morrow was probably always headed to UNL. He was born and raised Husker Red. If Miles had not lit a spark in the program last year, he may have opted to go elsewhere rather than waste four years there, despite his affinity for the school. But, the season they had, Miles, the new arena and rising optimism were apparently enough for him to decide that there is at least a chance his time at UNL would not be a waste. Still, our coaches needed to continue to pursue him, becasue they saw a good fit and they couldn't afford to not - just in case.

Even the blueblood programs lose their share of recruiting battles to the other guys. Of course, their consolation prizes are generally still top 150 players. Ours are not so much, which is why our coaches have to sell out on every possibility to get one of those players in. But, that is the life our coaches choose, and win one or lose one, their efforts are greatly appreciated. McQuaid would have been great, but he isn't make or break for our program.
cu8493

Postby Jet915 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am

I feel real bad for the coaches. How long have we been recruiting McQuaid? Probably almost 2 years and he chooses another school which just started recruiting him in July. Really stinks.

Fact of the matter is, the staff has shown that they have a great eye for talent. They recruited Ellenson very early before almost everyone else. They got Ronnie Harrell and Justin Patton before they blew up and became top 100 talent. I'm hopeful the same for Stewart.

I think the next step is getting already highly coveted top 100 talent to come here. McQuaid would have been the man, same with Clarke (although I think he's a longshot). We've made 3 NCAAs in an row, we have a brand spankin new practice facility, a national POY and 17000 fans a night. If we are gonna land some top 100 talent against other "BCS" programs, I think now is the time which is why I can understand some people being frustrated. If it doesn't happen now, it may not happen for awhile. Truth is, we've struck out on almost all the top 100 players (Clarke and maybe Poyser is left??). The consolation is that we have Watson and Huff coming next year along with Patton and Stewart so we still have great talent coming in. So far however, we've beaten Albany, Missouri State, FIU and Bradley for our 2015 HS recruits. Getting under the radar talent is great but we can't rely on it if we wanna compete in the Big East.
Jet915

Postby Jet915 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am

duplicate
Last edited by Jet915 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jet915

Postby R to the OB » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:42 am

Jet915 wrote:I feel real bad for the coaches. How long have we been recruiting McQuaid? Probably almost 2 years and he chooses another school which just started recruiting him in July. Really stinks.

Fact of the matter is, the staff has shown that they have a great eye for talent. They recruited Ellenson very early before almost everyone else. They got Ronnie Harrell and Justin Patton before they blew up and became top 100 talent. I'm hopeful the same for Stewart.

I think the next step is getting already highly coveted top 100 talent to come here. McQuaid would have been the man, same with Clarke (although I think he's a longshot). We've made 3 NCAAs in an row, we have a brand spankin new practice facility, a national POY and 17000 fans a night. If we are gonna land some top 100 talent against other "BCS" programs, I think now is the time which is why I can understand some people being frustrated. If it doesn't happen now, it may not happen for awhile. Truth is, we've struck out on almost all the top 100 players (Clarke and maybe Poyser is left??). The consolation is that we have Watson and Huff coming next year along with Patton and Stewart so we still have great talent coming in. So far however, we've beaten Albany, Missouri State, FIU and Bradley for our 2015 HS recruits. Getting under the radar talent is great but we can't rely on it if we wanna compete in the Big East.

+1
R to the OB

Postby LJay » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:55 am

Jet915 wrote:I feel real bad for the coaches. How long have we been recruiting McQuaid? Probably almost 2 years and he chooses another school which just started recruiting him in July. Really stinks.

Ask Bradley how they feel about Marlon Stewart. I guess shit really does flow downhill!!! :lol:
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Jet915 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:46 pm

LJay wrote:

Ask Bradley how they feel about Marlon Stewart. I guess shit really does flow downhill!!! :lol:

I hear you, works both ways.....sucks when it happens to us though!
Jet915

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:13 am

my twitter says we've offered Isaiah Roby from Dixon, IL 6'6 SF

kind of interesting that we're all of a sudden recruiting the QC area (Stewart).
cujaysfan

Postby R to the OB » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:36 pm

Roby is 2016, in case anyone was unaware.
R to the OB

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting