2013 SF Semi Ojeleye (Duke Transfer)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2013 SF Semi Ojeleye (Duke Transfer)

Postby bleedblue » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Grayshirting works by having a kid pay his way the first semester of a year and then going on scholarship the second semester. So if that works by semester then how come if a kid gets kicked off the team his scholarship wouldn't be available for a midseason transfer to use starting in the second semester?
bleedblue

Postby taa71458 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:44 pm

bleedblue wrote:Grayshirting works by having a kid pay his way the first semester of a year and then going on scholarship the second semester. So if that works by semester then how come if a kid gets kicked off the team his scholarship wouldn't be available for a midseason transfer to use starting in the second semester?

Do you have basketball examples where this has happened?
taa71458

Postby AttyAlum » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:15 pm

bleedblue wrote:Grayshirting works by having a kid pay his way the first semester of a year and then going on scholarship the second semester. So if that works by semester then how come if a kid gets kicked off the team his scholarship wouldn't be available for a midseason transfer to use starting in the second semester?

The only grayshirt situations that I am familiar with (e.g., Casey Harriman) consist of one full year where you pay yourself and go on scholarship thereafter. During the year that you are responsible for paying, you redshirt and can use whatever financial aid, scholarships, etc. for which you qualify.

I have never heard of a semester-semester grayshirt situation like you describe.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby LJay » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Lindeman was a gray shirt too.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:11 pm

pretty sure hibma was as well
cujaysfan

Postby fritzpointer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Back on topic I hope we get a visit from Semi. When does 2nd Sem. start at CU? Hope the Staff can get a yes this time. Go Jays!
Last edited by fritzpointer on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fritzpointer

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:57 pm

going to be tough to get a visit in before semester starts.

don't have a home game until wed with depaul on the 7th of jan followed by SH on that Sat - i'd guess that classes start on the following Mon.
cujaysfan

Postby Jet915 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:28 pm

Although not optimal, doesn't necessarily have to go to a game. Show him the practice facility and Clink. Couple of quotes from a recent article (before he cut his list):

Having finished his semester at Duke Saturday, Ojeleye is back in his hometown of Ottawa, Kansas. He said he plans to take a couple days to decompress before evaluating his list of offers and set up official and in-home visits.

“The list is decently long,” said Ojeleye. “I’ll probably take three or four visits and schools can come in home, too. That will save me some time and some traveling.”

“Obviously I want to play, but I want to go where I have a chance to learn and a chance to go to the NCAA tournament,” said Ojeleye. “If they have a good coaching staff, a good locker room and my family is all on the same page, that school has a good chance with me going there.”

“I am going to try to take some time, clear my head and make the best decision here in the next couple of weeks,” said Ojeleye. “I’ve gone through the recruiting process and know the questions coaches ask. I’ve been in college. It’s not so much where I’ll be staying. It’s all about the basketball. I don’t know have stress not knowing what I’ll be getting into. It’s all about finding what’s best.”
Jet915

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:11 am

It's been said on this board that transfers have different values in looking for a program than high school recruits. Some high schoolers get caught up in the "prestige" phenomenon but not transfers. They've played that game before and understand that it's more important to find a good fit, or a good culture with which you will mesh. As I said before, Semi probably would mesh well with most rosters of D1 programs, but there are lots of positives for him coming to Creighton. I see him starting over any wing player we currently have on our roster, with Ronnie as the possible exception given his expected development this coming year
Jaysker12

Postby Jet915 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:17 am

If Ojeleye somehow found his way on campus, I could see a lineup of Watson, Zierden, Ojeleye, Huff and Hanson. If we wanted to go "small", we could substitute Hegner for Hanson.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting