2015 PG Traci Carter (Marquette Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 PG Traci Carter

Postby taa71458 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Jeremyhauer wrote:
If we had a scholly left I think we could have gone after him and Dillard harder. We have to wait to see if a scholly opens up before we step up our recruitment on the remaining targets.

Highly doubt the lack of an open scholarship is dictating how hard we are going on guys
taa71458

Postby JayPak » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:43 pm

taa71458 wrote:
Jeremyhauer wrote:
If we had a scholly left I think we could have gone after him and Dillard harder. We have to wait to see if a scholly opens up before we step up our recruitment on the remaining targets.

Highly doubt the lack of an open scholarship is dictating how hard we are going on guys

Agreed. Not a lack of effort. Just losing straight up, to a fellow conference member in this case. Gonna have to contend with Carter for the next 4 years. Wojo's won again. Dude nails recruiting.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Duke1Agn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:32 am

Yea this had zero to do with us not trying or lacking an open scholarship . Our staff just doesn't excel when up against other major programs. We will be fine.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Jeremyhauer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:28 am

Looks like I'm in the minority with my opinion. There are no scholarships open right now. We all know that might change after the season ends. If you look at the 2015 recruiting efforts, Creighton seems to have a number of offers still out. Why haven't any of these 2015 offers been on visits? Why was Dillard planning on coming end of the month, after the season? Why didn't Carter get on campus? The JUCO guys are planning on taking visits after the season.

I get that these players all have their own seasons to play and that scheduling visits might not be the easiest, but to me it makes sense that the staff won't really turn up recruiting efforts until a scholarship opens up.

For ex. What if Creighton was able to schedule Dillard or Carter for a visit within the last couple of weeks? Dillard or Carter loves Creighton and commits. What does the staff do then? They would have to possibly force open a scholarship. Wouldn't it make sense to just wait until the end of the season and see if someone leaves? Then the staff can go full steam ahead trying to land a commit.

Do you guys not think that if Carter, Dillard, or who ever wanted to wait until after the season, the Jays would have had a better shot? It is still my opinion that Creighton did not benefit in the recruiting process by players committing before the season ended.
Jeremyhauer

Postby taa71458 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:33 am

I believe schools over sign all the time. I think it's more of a lack of interest on the players side than the coaches side.
taa71458

Postby taa71458 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:47 am

Sounds like he's headed to Marquette
taa71458

Postby ZMagic30 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:57 am

Our coaches just can't land the big ones right now. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with lack of interest on our end - we need talent upgrades. The talent just isn't interested in us at this point in time.
ZMagic30

Postby TrueBlueJay » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:57 am

ZMagic30 wrote:Our coaches just can't land the big ones right now. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with lack of interest on our end - we need talent upgrades. The talent just isn't interested in us at this point in time.

So the recruits coming in next year have no talent? :roll:
TrueBlueJay

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:17 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:
ZMagic30 wrote:Our coaches just can't land the big ones right now. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with lack of interest on our end - we need talent upgrades. The talent just isn't interested in us at this point in time.

So the recruits coming in next year have no talent? :roll:

The two players we faced stiff competition from recruiting-wise are both transfers. Transfers might be our best bet to acquire talent at this point, because there appears to be a stigma amongst talented high schoolers with heavy scouting that CU is still a small-time program. Butler suffers from the same problem if you look at the players they've secured. When a Mich. State comes knocking for a guy like McQuaid, well there's not much the coaches can do other than sell their own pitch. All three 4 year players we signed had zero interest from other schools when we signed them. My advice to the coaches is to continue to scour for high quality D-1 transfers. Those guys are no nonsense when it comes to picking a new school. They don't get caught up in the romance of the recruiting process; they know exactly what they want. Huff turned down a legit offer from Michigan to come play for us. That's the type of recruiting battle the coaches should strive to win every year
Jaysker12

Postby cu8493 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:47 am

Some (perhaps many) schools over sign all the time. Not all schools. I think this is a unique year for CU. We said goodbye to seven kids Saturday - four scholarship players and one starter/walk on, who all played significant minutes. That is five playing spots to be filled. We have two transfers waiting and one redshirt. We have four recruits coming in. Those six are sure to be here next year. Of the seven returning scholarship players, two (Harrell and LGIII) have plenty of opportunity to move into considerable playing time. Groselle looks to have taken hold of the starting center spot. He is graduating, but I can't imagine him wanting to not come back given the huge improvement he made this year and the chance to be the guy next year - and perhaps the top true center in the Big East. Hegner and Milliken certainly aren't going anywhere. So that leaves Zierden and Hanson as the only question marks. I don't see Zierden not coming back unless the knee injuries are just too much - which doesn't seem to be the case. I don't know about Zach, but lots of players suffer through the sophomore swoon. I don't see the coaching staff giving up on him. It seems that this may well be the year that no one bolts.

The staff is going to keep recruiting, because reality is that kids do leave, even ones that are a surprise. On the other hand, if a recruit asked our staff, are you going to have any scholarships open for sure, I would hope that unless one of the kids has already said he is not coming back our staff has the ethics and morality to have told the recruit no we can't promise there will be a scholarship open until we meet with the players at the end of the season. And I sure as hell hope they never pull a scholarship from a signed or committed recruit to give to someone they decide is a better option. No doubt we would have asked the recruit to be patient so we can see in a couple of weeks whether anyone has decided to leave. But, if Wojo pressured the kid to commit now or the schollie is going to someone else, then no kid is going to give up the sure thing to wait and hope someone from CU leaves, unless he really, really wants to come to CU - which obviously wasn't the case. So, I disagree that this staff is being out recruited just because this kid took the sure thing instead of waiting to see what happens at CU. I like the class they have and I am hopeful that everyone currently on campus stays.
cu8493

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting