2015 PG Traci Carter (Marquette Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 PG Traci Carter (Marquette Commit)

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:31 pm

ZMagic30 wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:Ii think espn has them very overrated given the other offees they have. Rivals had them with one five star, two four star and two three star recruits. One of the four star guys is ranked, the other isn't.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/marquette/bask ... ments/2015

No way heldt should be 4 stars, same for Anim.. all the bigger schools passed and didn't offer.

This is a ridiculous argument. Seriously, look at our incoming recruits. We're the best offer that any of them had. I know Texas and Oregon tried to get ahold of Patton after he committed, but nothing came of it because he was committed to Creighton. If you're using scholarship offers as an eye test, then Creighton definitely does not pass.

There are plenty of circumstances where guys don't get evaluated by many teams, commit and don't see a lot of offers, and are obviously really, really good. However, Heldt and Anim went through a full recruiting cycle in an effort to get their name out. There wasn't an injury, there wasn't an academic problem to prevent people from offering.. they just didn't get offers.

Patton would have had more offers than you can count if he'd wanted to open up his recruiting (like some idiots seemed to think when we offered out of the blue). Stewart had the injury during the summer evaluation period and signed with us in the fall rather than waiting for spring where his senior play would appear to have gotten him a lot of good offers. Thomas had the academic problems which we stuck through. I was worried he'd have more offers, but it looks like we did what we needed to land him. Martin K had offers from West Virginia and Virginia Tech (as he really hadn't been here long) and we did our best to keep him secret.

Look at our '14 class if you want to see legit 4 star recruiting lists -- Harrell (a guy we offered early) - K State and Purdue offers despite us getting him relatively early. Gilmore (3 stars on Rivals) Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, K State

Again, there are reasons for discounting offers as the only criteria for evaluating a recruit but neither Heldt or Anim had anything that would have prevented other offers coming in. Recruiting is a crap shoot, but if you pick up guys who a lot of people saw and didn't offer, it's not something that justifies a high ranking to me. Anyone here remember Andrew Bock?
Chicagojayfan

Postby Duke1Agn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
Duke1Agn wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:Ii think espn has them very overrated given the other offees they have. Rivals had them with one five star, two four star and two three star recruits. One of the four star guys is ranked, the other isn't.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/marquette/bask ... ments/2015

No way heldt should be 4 stars, same for Anim.. all the bigger schools passed and didn't offer.

Do you know anything about Heldt? Or are you just looking at his offer list and deciding, "meh, he's overrated." I know people who have personally watched him play, and they all say he's every bit as good as his rating.

to me Heldt is a nice part of a good team. He may develop to play well enough defensively to make a difference, but he's never going to be a shot blocker and he's looking at being a pick and pop 5 on the next level IMO. I don't think he's big enough to play a lot of offense in the post in the Big East, but he can stretch out to the 3 pt line. He's not a 4 star IMO. Heldt was evaluated by a lot of teams including Indiana, Clemson, and Northwestern. Xavier was the only other major to offer. He's not anywhere close to Patton in terms of potential.

The fact that ESPN has Anim as a 4 star is nothing more than a joke. He's been evaluated many times by many teams and his best offers before the Marquette one was Northern Iowa and Northwestern. Doesn't mean he's not a good recruit, it means that ESPN is far outside of any other services and any other coaches on their evaluation of him.

I don't go by rankings in general, but I do go by other offers. Yes, every now and then there's a chance someone slips through the cracks, has an injury, has academic troubles teams don't want to ride out, or something goes wrong and gets discovered late, but by and large if a lot of teams evaluate a guy and don't offer it means something.

Heldt wasn't offered by most teams because he is a Wisconsin native who was a clear Marquette lean from the beginning. Don't know enough about Anim to speak on his rating, but you're contradicting yourself in your own posts. Marquette's class is far better, even without Ellenson. It's not close. And they have Ellenson, so this argument is stupid.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:51 pm

You're wrong when you say Heldt was a strong Marquette lean. I remember reading a few articles during his recruitment. this one, for instance:

http://www.insidethehall.com/2014/05/06 ... cruitment/
Chicagojayfan

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:43 pm

Why are we even talking about MU's class without Ellenson? He's in it. If you want to talk about aberrations, Omaha North (or the State of Nebraska for that matter) doesn't routinely pop out top 50 guys...
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby taa71458 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Leaving Marquette, that's two transfers for Wojo already this year. Guy can bring in the talent, doesn't seem to be able to do much else though.
taa71458

Postby AttyAlum » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:12 pm

taa71458 wrote:Leaving Marquette, that's two transfers for Wojo already this year. Guy can bring in the talent, doesn't seem to be able to do much else though.

Wojo is the Tim Miles of the Big East.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Jet915 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:31 pm

AttyAlum wrote:
taa71458 wrote:Leaving Marquette, that's two transfers for Wojo already this year. Guy can bring in the talent, doesn't seem to be able to do much else though.

Wojo is the Tim Miles of the Big East.

Carter and Cohen weren't getting much playing time so no big deal. If guys like Cheatham or Hauser transfer, then it's a red flag...
Jet915

Previous

Return to Recruiting