2015 PG Traci Carter (Marquette Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 PG Traci Carter (Marquette Commit)

Postby Jeremyhauer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:22 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
JayPak wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:It's a good class but not great without Ellenson, a class I'd probably rank behind ours.

No way! You must be counting Huff and Watson as 2015's, then. Even so, that's a stretch. Per Rivals, even without 5-star Ellenson, they've got 2 4-star and 2-3 stars to our 1 4-star and 3 3-stars. Per ESPN, Marquette's advantage is much wider, with 4 4's to our 1 4 and 2 3's (ESPN doesn't rate Krampelj).

Also, keep in mind that Marquette gets every one of those 5 guys for up to 4 years, while we get Huff and Watson for 2.

Marquette's class is 9th in the country per ESPN and you say it's "not great" without Ellenson??

no time to break it all down, but with Watson and Huff it isn't even close. They only have one top 150 guy in their class. It's a good class, but not extraordinary. Adding Ellenson makes all the difference.

Cheatham is a consensus Top 100. Carter will be a top 150 at year end too.
Jeremyhauer

Re: 2015 PG Traci Carter

Postby JayPak » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:They only have one top 150 guy in their class. It's a good class, but not extraordinary. Adding Ellenson makes all the difference.

Which rankings are you using? In addition to Ellenson, Haanif Cheatham is on every top 100 list I've seen.

One thing their class has in abundance is height, with 2 guys at 6'10" and 2 SG's at 6'5".
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Re: 2015 PG Traci Carter

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:29 pm

JayPak wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:They only have one top 150 guy in their class. It's a good class, but not extraordinary. Adding Ellenson makes all the difference.

Which rankings are you using? In addition to Ellenson, Haanif Cheatham is on every top 100 list I've seen.

One thing their class has in abundance is height, with 2 guys at 6'10" and 2 SG's at 6'5".

Without Ellenson, they only have one, Cheatham, who is ranked 70 in rivals. . Lower than our highest ranked recruit.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Jet915 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:05 pm

Marquette has a 5 star and 4 4 star recruits......its not even close.
Jet915

Postby Duke1Agn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:08 pm

This is the silliest argument I've ever seen. Even without Ellenson, Marquette's class is superior to ours; by a significant margin. With Ellenson, our class (even with Huff and Watson) isn't even in the same stratosphere. Marquette will have four top 150 players in their class. Three top 100. And one top 5.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:40 pm

Ii think espn has them very overrated given the other offees they have. Rivals had them with one five star, two four star and two three star recruits. One of the four star guys is ranked, the other isn't.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/marquette/bask ... ments/2015

No way heldt should be 4 stars, same for Anim.. all the bigger schools passed and didn't offer.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Duke1Agn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:50 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:Ii think espn has them very overrated given the other offees they have. Rivals had them with one five star, two four star and two three star recruits. One of the four star guys is ranked, the other isn't.

No way heldt should be 4 stars, same for Anim.. all the bigger schools passed and didn't offer.

Do you know anything about Heldt? Or are you just looking at his offer list and deciding, "meh, he's overrated." I know people who have personally watched him play, and they all say he's every bit as good as his rating.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby marquette jay » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:53 pm

The thought around MUBB circles is Wojo will try and add another Grad Transfer ala Matt Carlino. This would either be another PG or a wing who could step in and start. But there have been quiet rumblings of them picking up a traditional transfer as well.
Connecting the dots leads to Riley LaChance who wanted to go to MU out of HS but decided not to play for Buzz. Some say he's a little homesick (from Brookfield, WI) and may want to come back to a new culture at MU where he's wanted to play from the beginning. Just some blurbs I thought I'd pass along. Hope we can both pick up some W's this week in NYC. I think the Jays have a better path at MSG and kinda wish Marquette had just ended up getting the 10th seed.

Also, I think Carter will end up near the Top 100 when final rankings come out. Heldt close and Anim maybe a little further away but still close to that line. Even with Ellenson out of the picture (quite a big even), I would take MU's class over Creighton's. Noskowiak was a wreck all winter/spring so Wojo had to quickly find a comparable talent in Sacar Anim. And he certainly upgraded the PG situation with Carter. But I like all the pieces Mac picked up this recruiting cycle, not to mention the big guns in Watson and Huff, and a smart redshirt in Harrell coming in next year too.
marquette jay

Postby ZMagic30 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:Ii think espn has them very overrated given the other offees they have. Rivals had them with one five star, two four star and two three star recruits. One of the four star guys is ranked, the other isn't.

This is a ridiculous argument. Seriously, look at our incoming recruits. We're the best offer that any of them had. I know Texas and Oregon tried to get ahold of Patton after he committed, but nothing came of it because he was committed to Creighton. If you're using scholarship offers as an eye test, then Creighton definitely does not pass.
ZMagic30

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Duke1Agn wrote:

Do you know anything about Heldt? Or are you just looking at his offer list and deciding, "meh, he's overrated." I know people who have personally watched him play, and they all say he's every bit as good as his rating.

to me Heldt is a nice part of a good team. He may develop to play well enough defensively to make a difference, but he's never going to be a shot blocker and he's looking at being a pick and pop 5 on the next level IMO. I don't think he's big enough to play a lot of offense in the post in the Big East, but he can stretch out to the 3 pt line. He's not a 4 star IMO. Heldt was evaluated by a lot of teams including Indiana, Clemson, and Northwestern. Xavier was the only other major to offer. He's not anywhere close to Patton in terms of potential.

The fact that ESPN has Anim as a 4 star is nothing more than a joke. He's been evaluated many times by many teams and his best offers before the Marquette one was Northern Iowa and Northwestern. Doesn't mean he's not a good recruit, it means that ESPN is far outside of any other services and any other coaches on their evaluation of him.

I don't go by rankings in general, but I do go by other offers. Yes, every now and then there's a chance someone slips through the cracks, has an injury, has academic troubles teams don't want to ride out, or something goes wrong and gets discovered late, but by and large if a lot of teams evaluate a guy and don't offer it means something.
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting