2015 JUCO SG Mychal Mulder (Kentucky Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 JUCO SG Mychal Mulder (Kentucky Commit)

Postby mel ott » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:10 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
taa71458 wrote:Or maybe he just wanted to play past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament.

I'm sure he's going to be really bummed out when he only gets to play 10 minutes of the national championship game.

Seriously, every ripping on a kid for choosing to play at the University of Kentucky need to knock it off.

This. It's the kid's decision. Creighton fans should probably try not to take it personally.

A point I would like to raise is that there are about 5-10 people commenting on this Kentucky signing benefits vs staying w CU and the Big East. The one thing I don't like about message boards is that tv, paper etc. take these 5-10 people and then attribute their input to the thinking of the overall team fan base. I don't think "most" Jay fans are taking it personally. The OWH does a great job of doing just this- making an overall assessment based on a couple of people's input.
mel ott

Postby KenoshaJay » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:31 pm

mel ott wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:
taa71458 wrote:Or maybe he just wanted to play past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament.

I'm sure he's going to be really bummed out when he only gets to play 10 minutes of the national championship game.

Seriously, every ripping on a kid for choosing to play at the University of Kentucky need to knock it off.

This. It's the kid's decision. Creighton fans should probably try not to take it personally.

A point I would like to raise is that there are about 5-10 people commenting on this Kentucky signing benefits vs staying w CU and the Big East. The one thing I don't like about message boards is that tv, paper etc. take these 5-10 people and then attribute their input to the thinking of the overall team fan base. I don't think "most" Jay fans are taking it personally. The OWH does a great job of doing just this- making an overall assessment based on a couple of people's input.

Agree. Wish MM the best. KY will perenially be on the national stage. CU made a solid shot to get the kid to come to Omaha. Some fans are shortsighted - the media will often try to capitalize on this.
KenoshaJay

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:18 am

The idea that Creighton fans are taking this personally is pretty funny. Where on earth did that come from?

It's Kentucky. Everybody here gets that. Nobody's feelings are hurt. Their program is in a completely different universe than ours. It's perfectly reasonable, however, to question the decision from a purely basketball perspective. Minutes are going to be difficult to find this year (it's looking more likely that #2 wing Jaylen Brown commits), and nearly impossible to find in 2016.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby TrueBlueJay » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:30 am

Duke1Agn wrote:The idea that Creighton fans are taking this personally is pretty funny. Where on earth did that come from?

It's Kentucky. Everybody here gets that. Nobody's feelings are hurt. Their program is in a completely different universe than ours. It's perfectly reasonable, however, to question the decision from a purely basketball perspective. Minutes are going to be difficult to find this year (it's looking more likely that #2 wing Jaylen Brown commits), and nearly impossible to find in 2016.

Maybe Mulder makes it impossible for other players to find any minutes.
TrueBlueJay

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:34 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:
Duke1Agn wrote:The idea that Creighton fans are taking this personally is pretty funny. Where on earth did that come from?

Maybe Mulder makes it impossible for other players to find any minutes.

Perhaps. We shall see.
Duke1Agn

Postby taa71458 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:37 am

From a purely basketball perspective I would play 5-10 minutes a game on a team that has the potential to win it all every year.
taa71458

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:40 am

taa71458 wrote:

From a purely basketball perspective I would play 5-10 minutes a game on a team that has the potential to win it all every year.

That's anything but a purely basketball perspective. That's looking at it from a prestige/image perspective. Kentucky is undeniably an NBA factory, but I can't think of one person who got drafted after playing 6-7 minutes per game in college.

I understand his decision, and like I said earlier, I probably would have done the same thing at 20 years old. I just question the decision looking 2+ years down the road.
Duke1Agn

Postby Realhoops » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:32 am

Duke1Agn wrote:
taa71458 wrote:

That's anything but a purely basketball perspective. That's looking at it from a prestige/image perspective. Kentucky is undeniably an NBA factory, but I can't think of one person who got drafted after playing 6-7 minutes per game in college.

I understand his decision, and like I said earlier, I probably would have done the same thing at 20 years old. I just question the decision looking 2+ years down the road.

This is what I'm seeing, too. I don't think anyone is taking anything personally or ripping on this kid for the decision. I think people are opining that it may not end up to be the best decision for him, as it is quite possible and maybe even very likely, that he's going to end up joining a list that could be a mile long of kids who had the opportunity to play at one place where they would have almost been assured/guaranteed a very prominent role to join an "elite" program where they end up being relegated to the bench. It's not a secret that his coaches have ties to Kentucky and wanted him to go there, regardless of whether it ends up being the best place for him.

It could absolutely end up being perfect -- he could end up starting, playing 20 minutes a game, and become the national player of the year there. Only time will tell there. But it seems pretty reasonable to look at who else they have, who else they are continuing to try to recruit, and predict that he's going to play much less there and have much less to be an impact player than he might have elsewhere. Wishing him luck, but recognizing that is not ripping on him or taking things personally, to me.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby CURx » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:33 pm

Can't blame the kid for choosing to play basketball at Kentucky but I can't imagine this is a good thing for him at this point.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25224152/kentucky-loads-up-with-commitment-of-2015-five-star-guard-jamal-murray
CURx

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:35 am

"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting