2016 PG Shamorie Ponds (St. John's Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2016 PG Shamorie Ponds (Offered)

Postby wbjay » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:07 pm

PorkTornado wrote:
Sundeckers wrote:Do you hold a press conference in NYC if you're going to spurn the hometown school?

Maybe. But this is looking like St. John's, unfortunately.

Harrison Barnes held a press conference in Ames and didn't pick ISU.

But Rochester, NY isn't really even close to NYC. 5-1/2 hours by car.
wbjay

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:10 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:
Sundeckers wrote:
PorkTornado wrote:

To tell the world he was going to arguably the best basketball brand in the country.

I'm just saying it would be pretty surprising for a kid to show up in front of all his family/friends and NYC media only to tell them he was going to Omaha. Would love to be wrong in a big way.

Let's say he was picking Creighton, where would you think he would do a presser?

Runza
cujaysfan

Postby TrueBlueJay » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:16 pm

wbjay wrote:
PorkTornado wrote:
Sundeckers wrote:Do you hold a press conference in NYC if you're going to spurn the hometown school?

Maybe. But this is looking like St. John's, unfortunately.

But Rochester, NY isn't really even close to NYC. 5-1/2 hours by car.

He is from Brooklyn.
TrueBlueJay

Postby cu8493 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Don't most hold their presser at home or at their high school - or maybe at their AAU program's facilities or at an all-star game. I think the fact that it is in NYC doesn't mean anything. And, I am at a loss what Rochester has to do with anything, but maybe I missed something. However, I will be hugely surprised if he picks CU. IMO Providence probably signed White when Ponds told them he wasn't coming there. Or, they told the two that the first two sign gets the schollie. With that gone, he can tell his parents that he really considered getting out of town, but now he is left with St. Johns.

Based on his comments about playing time, I just don't see him coming to CU where he might be a backup for a couple of years - particularly if he has visions of being in the NBA by the time he turns 21 (don't know that he has, just saying IF he has).
cu8493

Postby Kolder Fan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:39 pm

cu8493 wrote:Don't most hold their presser at home or at their high school - or maybe at their AAU program's facilities or at an all-star game. I think the fact that it is in NYC doesn't mean anything. And, I am at a loss what Rochester has to do with anything, but maybe I missed something. However, I will be hugely surprised if he picks CU. IMO Providence probably signed White when Ponds told them he wasn't coming there. Or, they told the two that the first two sign gets the schollie. With that gone, he can tell his parents that he really considered getting out of town, but now he is left with St. Johns.

Based on his comments about playing time, I just don't see him coming to CU where he might be a backup for a couple of years - particularly if he has visions of being in the NBA by the time he turns 21 (don't know that he has, just saying IF he has).

It's going to boil down to whether or not he (and his family) decide if it is better for him to stay in NY or go away for school. There are certainly pros and cons for each - it is well documented the challenges that some NYC point guards have had when they stayed home to play ball. Your point about playing time - at Creighton he would have Mo Watson here for a year to compete with - in terms of returning starter. At St. Johns - they have two high profile freshman point guards on the roster - Marcus LoVett was a 4 star top 25 kid and Federico Mussini was a high profile Euro PG. He will have to compete with them for 3 years (or 4 if one of them redshirts). Providence probably had the best scenario for an immediate start with Dunn leaving after this year, but with the signing of White - perhaps puts that option to rest?

Regardless - it will be an interesting day tomorrow...
Kolder Fan

Postby wbjay » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:45 pm

My bad, saw a recruiting site that mentioned Thomas Jefferson HS in Rochester.

It was the internet, I thought it was true.
wbjay

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:41 pm

I would be very surprised if he chose to come here. And if he did, I feel like it would be for the wrong reasons (as in, his parents are forcing the issue of getting out of NYC)

edit: not saying I don't want Ponds, we all desperately want him, and I think he, like any other young person, would learn to love Omaha and call it home for four years.
Jaysker12

Postby PorkTornado » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:I would be very surprised if he chose to come here. And if he did, I feel like it would be for the wrong reasons (as in, his parents are forcing the issue of getting out of NYC)

edit: not saying I don't want Ponds, we all desperately want him, and I think he, like any other young person, would learn to love Omaha and call it home for four years.

You don't believe there are basketball reasons to come here? There are more Jays currently in the NBA than Red Storm'rs.
"I know words, I have the best words."
PorkTornado

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:55 pm

PorkTornado wrote:
Jaysker12 wrote:I would be very surprised if he chose to come here. And if he did, I feel like it would be for the wrong reasons (as in, his parents are forcing the issue of getting out of NYC)

You don't believe there are basketball reasons to come here? There are more Jays currently in the NBA than Red Storm'rs.

No, there are plenty of reasons to come here. As has become increasingly evident, high schoolers aren't keen to those reasons. Plus, every word on the internet about Shamorie's desire is that he wants to stay home for college. I just don't want him to be 'pushed' into coming to CU, although if it happens, I'll be happy with the outcome and he'll get acclimated and adjusted to life in omaha. I just don't see it happening
Jaysker12

Postby Eye of the Jay » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:25 pm

In the same boat as many of the above posters that he's probably going to pick St Johns. I see us playing the bridesmaid role for a couple years until we can build ourselves into a sweet sixteen contender every year. Like our tourney chances this year and a deep run in 2016 transferring to top 25 2018/19 classes.

Would love to be wrong about Ponds to help us have considerable talent once Mo graduates. Do you believe in miracles?
Eye of the Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting