2016 CG Davion Mintz (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2016 CG Davion Mintz (Signed)

Postby cujaysfan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:54 pm

if UNC and the like were sniffing around late like they were

i think that's all the indication we need of what level player davion is

can't wait to hear about him in summer league in a few weeks
cujaysfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:09 pm

Davion's AAU team is not on a major shoe company circuit. No nike, adidas, ua... very little to no visibility for teams and their players.

Luv this kid...he's gonna develop into a great one for the Jays. COULD wind up the all-time assist guy? ;)
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Fwiw, if you look at this junior year mix tape, you might understand why he drew less interest earlier. I don't know about shoes, but maybe that's a factor too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe1tjVZWW4w

Noticeably thinner and less physical, even though you can see the athleticism and good skills. His jump physically is similar to Ronnie's, in one year it looks like he aged three. Like I said earlier, everybody thinks they got a steal before their recruits step on campus. But I think we got a steal.

You'll also notice on this earlier mix that he has a 4.5 GPA. Also, he had an offer from Yale.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Mintz gets some pub here. I'm surprised Patton didnt get mentioned instead but they probably forgot about him.....

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15999633/recruits-impact-top-25-college-basketball-teams
Jet915

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:29 pm

Article refers to incoming HS/prep kids. JP has been in college for a season already.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:49 am

I make a point to stay away from game threads after losses, so it's probably been said already, but Davion Mintz's stat line yesterday was amazing: 17 pts, 8 asst, 4 rebounds and just 2 TOs against a good team.

Mo's mind-boggling numbers have numbed us to what a PG can do, but Davion's numbers yesterday would have been the 4th best single-game point total and tied for high in assists for Ryan Sears in his senior year. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, I'M NOT SAYING HE'S AS GOOD AS RYAN SEARS. The point also isn't that he'll do it every game, the point is that HE CAN do that as a freshman. I'd guess he'll struggle against Georgetown on the road, but Davion showed yesterday why a lot of us were going crazy during summer league.

And it bears mentioning once again, this was the No. 340 recruit in the country, according to the 24/7 composite, a 2.5 star recruit, according to Verbal Commits.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby section202jay » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:I make a point to stay away from game threads after losses, so it's probably been said already, but Davion Mintz's stat line yesterday was amazing: 17 pts, 8 asst, 4 rebounds and just 2 TOs against a good team.

Mo's mind-boggling numbers have numbed us to what a PG can do, but Davion's numbers yesterday would have been the 4th best single-game point total and tied for high in assists for Ryan Sears in his senior year. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, I'M NOT SAYING HE'S AS GOOD AS RYAN SEARS. The point also isn't that he'll do it every game, the point is that HE CAN do that as a freshman. I'd guess he'll struggle against Georgetown on the road, but Davion showed yesterday why a lot of us were going crazy during summer league.

And it bears mentioning once again, this was the No. 340 recruit in the country, according to the 24/7 composite, a 2.5 star recruit, according to Verbal Commits.

Yep, love what we have with Mintz moving forward. What he did vs. Marquette was pretty incredible. He was money from the charity stripe and played under control while dishing out 8 asst. He's got a decent outside shot and he's bigger for a PG, which means he can do a little more on defense hopefully. I think this is another example of a great job by the coaching staff.
section202jay

Previous

Return to Recruiting