2016 CG Davion Mintz (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2016 CG Davion Mintz (Commit)

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:30 pm

DEK, that's laying it on a little too thick. There are plenty on here (myself included) who do not partake in the sunshine pumping. But did you watch Davion's video? He's a freak, launch off one foot athlete with combo guard skills at 6'4. And you're not going to take that commitment? This season will show the fruition of the coaches' efforts in finding their 'under the radar' players. Just have some more patience ;)
Jaysker12

Postby OmahaGuy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Have some patience and give them some time when they go through their learning curves.
OmahaGuy

Postby Duke1Agn » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:45 am

DEK, I've been fairly pessimistic regarding this staff and recruiting in the past, but I think most agree that Davion is a really solid pickup.

This is one of those cases where, if we're being honest with ourselves, if he had 4 stars next to his name we'd all be clicking our heels. The bottom line is that nobody here knows any more about these recruits than what the highlight videos show and what the recruiting services say about them. Davion's highlight reel is about as impressive I've seen for a Creighton commit. The "major" recruiting services didn't cover him, and the high major programs didn't see him, because his AAU team didn't play on a "shoe circuit". Maybe these comments from other national recruiting guys, who actually watched Davion play multiple times, will make you feel better:

"There's always a non-major PG/CG that is an outlier/star-in-waiting. Creighton has a good one in Davion Mintz."

"Mintz did work at our spring events. Has good size. Can score, can play point, under-recruited. Trending late. A lot of good check marks."

"Big time pickup for Creighton! Giant ceiling, versatility in backcourt, toughness, intangibles, change of pace guy."
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby ictjay » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:21 am

Solid post Duke. Dont know until they lace em up! When recruiting athletic players, I'm guessing coaches are aware of say 50% of what a recruit can do. That other 50% usually encompasses the space between the ears handling responsibilities, college life and grasping the teams offense/defense. Amazing how many "Top 100" guys disappoint.
ictjay

Postby WBR Tom » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:46 am

Here's some further insight into Davion Mintz from a website called Phenom Hoops Report, with a look at his progression through high school.

http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/news_ar ... id=1555437
WBR Tom

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Eric Bossi tweeted that Davion was blowing up on September 30th. Had he not committed during his visit, he likely would have gotten offers from more major programs. The more I watch his highlight vid the more I like what I see. Obviously quite physically talented. He's not lightning quick, but its obvious he needs S&C work and he might gain some speed after adding muscle.

Also read somewhere that his on ball defense is impressive. TBH, he reminds me of a less quick, guard version of Chris Clarke
Jaysker12

Postby cu8493 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:43 pm

If that is the case, then I am sure the wolves will be circling whether he is verbally committed or not. Coaches better hide him in a closet until early signing day and make sure his fax machine can only dial one number. I'd have them take turns sitting in a car outside his home to make sure no one gets to him. Kidding of course . . . . . or maybe not. At least we only have one to keep tabs on for the next month.
cu8493

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:31 pm

This is probably where having only one scholarship available helped us. It was likely, buy now, or if Green or another one of our targets snap first, then there's nothing we can do.
HandDownManDown

Postby jfan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Davion up to #280 for National rankings on 24/7. That was quick. It would be interesting to know how they would come up with that.
jfan

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Well, Oldfan likes him better now.
HandDownManDown

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting