2018 Ed Chang (Offered, San Diego State Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2018 Ed Chang (Offered)

Postby Realhoops » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:10 pm

Oldfan wrote:That's my only issue with Jayskers - there is no question that a good NU football team helps their basketball team with recruiting.

Football and its support funds all of their other programs to one extent or another - basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Oldfan wrote:That's my only issue with Jayskers - there is no question that a good NU football team helps their basketball team with recruiting.

As much as it pains me to say this, Matt Perrault said this as well. Might be damn near the only thing I agreed with him on.
SonofFrankTomera

Postby CPJays » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:46 pm

If that were the case they should have won a tournament game in the 70s...or the 80s...or the 90s...
CPJays

Postby Jet915 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:10 pm

I'm not a teenager anymore but I'm always curious why a kid would want to go to a school and be second fiddle to another sport like football (an increasingly irrelevant one at that) instead of going to a school where basketball is king.
Jet915

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:23 am

Jet915 wrote:I'm not a teenager anymore but I'm always curious why a kid would want to go to a school and be second fiddle to another sport like football (an increasingly irrelevant one at that) instead of going to a school where basketball is king.

I know what you're saying, but athletes (even the non-Football ones) at football schools tend to be pretty high profile and there is a fun atmosphere every weekend during the games on campus. Some guys want that, some guys don't, it comes down to personality preferences.

I'm not too concerned about this one right now -- Miles is looking shaky and there's a lot of time to go before this recruitment ends
Chicagojayfan

Postby 1620Jay » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:03 am

Jet915 wrote:I'm not a teenager anymore but I'm always curious why a kid would want to go to a school and be second fiddle to another sport like football (an increasingly irrelevant one at that) instead of going to a school where basketball is king.

Do they really play second fiddle though? What exactly are the football players getting that basketball players aren't? Hell, I had a relative that attended UNL on an athletic scholarship for a money losing sport and they would come home with bags full of adidas apparel. Academic resources was no different as was the training table that was at their disposal. They eat like kings. Can't really speak for other schools but it seems as if other UNL athletes actually get excited for football season. And that probably boils down to parties on weekends as opposed to the actually game itself.
1620Jay

Postby JaysLifer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:19 am

1620Jay wrote:

Do they really play second fiddle though? What exactly are the football players getting that basketball players aren't? Hell, I had a relative that attended UNL on an athletic scholarship for a money losing sport and they would come home with bags full of adidas apparel. Academic resources was no different as was the training table that was at their disposal. They eat like kings. Can't really speak for other schools but it seems as if other UNL athletes actually get excited for football season. And that probably boils down to parties on weekends as opposed to the actually game itself.

Very valid point. Say what you want about being second-fiddle within the athletic department, I don't think they're perceived that way to the student body, which is probably all someone would be concerned about if that was a factor in their decision. Also, although I have nothing but disdain for the City of Lincoln and the Huskers, it's a pretty fun time if you're down there for game day (I lived there for two years and the town sucks as a whole, but those 6 or 7 home games every year made for a fun party atmosphere).
JaysLifer

Postby CreighTony » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:15 am

JaysLifer wrote:
1620Jay wrote:

Very valid point. Say what you want about being second-fiddle within the athletic department, I don't think they're perceived that way to the student body, which is probably all someone would be concerned about if that was a factor in their decision. Also, although I have nothing but disdain for the City of Lincoln and the Huskers, it's a pretty fun time if you're down there for game day (I lived there for two years and the town sucks as a whole, but those 6 or 7 home games every year made for a fun party atmosphere).

If they read the papers, they know they are second fiddle.
CreighTony

Postby Jaybird » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:34 am

Now that talk has turned to nebraska basketball again, I thought it was noteworthy that ITT Technical Institute announced yesterday that they're shutting down operations. This has to be disappointing to little Timmy Miles for a couple reasons. First, it probably means that nebraska suddenly has a hole in future noncom schedules they'll have to fill. But that assumes that Miles will be around to worry about it, which brings me to reason #2 why he should be worrying today, which is that this is one less place for him to apply for a coaching gig next season.
Jaybird

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:50 am

As of now, Ed isn't planning on committing until after next summer, by the way. The Aguek thing certainly didn't help Nebraska with him.
JacobPadilla

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting