2017 Isaiah Chandler

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 Isaiah Chandler

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:05 am

Listed as one of the top performers at the NY2LA tourney in Wisconsin. Omaha Elite fell in the championship game.
Isaiah Chandler – 2017 – F/C – Omaha Elite
Chandler had another very strong day. Although Omaha Elite fell to the Wisconsin Swing in the 17U NY2LA Association title game, Chandler made his presence felt on the game. A big time shot blocker, Chandler had at least six swats and altered a number of others. The 6-foot-9, 250-pound senior is an impressive athlete and gets up and down the floor well. Chandler definitely deserves more touches on the block, but when he gets it, usually delivers. He sets up shop very well and shows an advanced understanding of how to pin and seal his man.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=3535
Any ideas why we haven't offered him yet? (Please don't throw out the obligatory comment about grades, I'm pretty sure that's not the case.)

He only has offers from mid-majors at this point, but I've seen him play up close and he looks good to me. Most of the big programs were at the Peach Jam this week, so maybe he's still under the radar. We must be breathing some rarified air on big men if we pass on him.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby LJay » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:45 pm

Based on the offers it would seem he is a Valley level player in the eyes of recruiters. Doesn't mean they're right but I would guess the Jay staff sees him that way too.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:01 pm

LJay wrote:Based on the offers it would seem he is a Valley level player in the eyes of recruiters. Doesn't mean they're right but I would guess the Jay staff sees him that way too.

I agree LJay . And since that is the case I am surprised the Huskers haven't offered....
SonofFrankTomera

Postby AttyAlum » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:08 am

SonofFrankTomera wrote:
LJay wrote:Based on the offers it would seem he is a Valley level player in the eyes of recruiters. Doesn't mean they're right but I would guess the Jay staff sees him that way too.

I agree LJay . And since that is the case I am surprised the Huskers haven't offered....

UNL is too busy trying to find enough players to conduct a practice for this coming season, let alone recruit for future years. They are so desperate for warm bodies that they just took a former player from Samford (not Stanford) that shot 35% from the floor and 18% from three at his last stop. Sheesh, even I may have to cut them a break and lay off from bashing them for awhile....
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Listed as one of the top performers at the NY2LA tourney in Wisconsin. Omaha Elite fell in the championship game.
Isaiah Chandler – 2017 – F/C – Omaha Elite
Chandler had another very strong day. Although Omaha Elite fell to the Wisconsin Swing in the 17U NY2LA Association title game, Chandler made his presence felt on the game. A big time shot blocker, Chandler had at least six swats and altered a number of others. The 6-foot-9, 250-pound senior is an impressive athlete and gets up and down the floor well. Chandler definitely deserves more touches on the block, but when he gets it, usually delivers. He sets up shop very well and shows an advanced understanding of how to pin and seal his man.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=3535
Any ideas why we haven't offered him yet? (Please don't throw out the obligatory comment about grades, I'm pretty sure that's not the case.)

He only has offers from mid-majors at this point, but I've seen him play up close and he looks good to me. Most of the big programs were at the Peach Jam this week, so maybe he's still under the radar. We must be breathing some rarified air on big men if we pass on him.

RE your first comment, I will say he has some work to do and leave it at that.

I've watched Isaiah a lot the last three years. There are times when he dominates a game, but there are more where he disappears. He still doesn't have much of a post game outside of sealing and finishing, and he can be a weak finisher around the basket at times. There's a chance that they think he simply isn't quite Big East caliber, and there's no reason to take him just because he's a local kid if you don't think he can succeed at a high level with the Jays. I know Colorado liked him a lot last summer, but an offer hasn't come from them to this point. Nebraska has been tracking him, but again, no offer yet.
JacobPadilla

Postby cu8493 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:22 pm

IMO he is a low DI or DII prospect. I can't see him competing with many higher level DI level posts, notwithstanding his size. I have seen kids several inches shorter and 75 pounds lighter handle him. As desperate as UNL is for big bodies, the fact that they haven't offered says something, I think.
cu8493

Postby JacobPadilla » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:16 am

cu8493 wrote:IMO he is a low DI or DII prospect. I can't see him competing with many higher level DI level posts, notwithstanding his size. I have seen kids several inches shorter and 75 pounds lighter handle him. As desperate as UNL is for big bodies, the fact that they haven't offered says something, I think.

He's better than that, I'd say. He's definitely a D-I player. I think the mid-major interest he's getting is probably correct.
JacobPadilla

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:43 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
cu8493 wrote:IMO he is a low DI or DII prospect. I can't see him competing with many higher level DI level posts, notwithstanding his size. I have seen kids several inches shorter and 75 pounds lighter handle him. As desperate as UNL is for big bodies, the fact that they haven't offered says something, I think.

He's better than that, I'd say. He's definitely a D-I player. I think the mid-major interest he's getting is probably correct.

Thanks, Jacob. I like him, but maybe I'm still looking at him with a Valley eye.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:01 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:

Thanks, Jacob. I like him, but maybe I'm still looking at him with a Valley eye.

I think it might be when you're catching him too. He's certainly capable of high-major performances. But I also saw him score 4 points as Central got blown out by Class B Gretna in the Bryan Summer Tournament championship.
JacobPadilla

Postby cu8493 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:50 am

And Gretna's "bigs", giving up several inches and 60 pounds, are no where near D1 material. Perhaps Isaiah just wasn't into it that day. The few times I have seen him play, he hasn't done much - so maybe just bad timing on my part.
cu8493

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting