2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen (South Carolina Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen

Postby Eye of the Jay » Mon May 22, 2017 11:01 am

hilltopalum wrote:https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/starting-five-two-five-stars-remain-in-2017

Emmanuel Akot, 2018 wing, re-classified and will join with Zona next year. Arizona out on Bowen at this point.

We'll talk about Tugs on the WBR podcast tonight

Article noting us and Oregon as the frontrunners. Honestly, he didn't commit after that Oregon unofficial which is a good thing. I'd have to say it's a 4-way coin flip between us, Oregon, Depaul, and Texas at this point. That is something I'd never thought I'd say just a month ago. Really hope he decides this week so that we can move on the NOLA duo or push hard for Waters.
Eye of the Jay

Postby vivid_dude » Mon May 22, 2017 11:51 am

mredle wrote:I believe Wednesday is the deadline for players to pull out of the NBA draft. That is apparently what Bowen has been waiting on. Coaches should know something by the end of the week. I don't understand people's impatience. Tugs can be a player that is a game changer recruiting-wise. The coaches have spent how many days pursuing him. If we aren't willing to do that will we ever sign top recruits? The coaches are in the best position to judge the situation both with respect to Bowen and the NOLA duo. We have a lot of the competition that have DQ'ed themselves, do we add our names to the list?

This is all reasonable. Good job! But one question for you (or anyone).

Would you rather have Jarreau/Gresham at 100% certainty or Bowen at 30% certainty? Knowing that if you keep waiting for Bowen, you'll almost certainly lose Jarreau/Gresham - is that worth it? Assume that this imperfect hypothetical is being presented to you - which do you choose?
vivid_dude

Postby bluejayfan00 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:55 am

Vivid, I'm not sure how hypothetical that is. It may be pretty realistic
bluejayfan00

Postby blueblood » Mon May 22, 2017 11:59 am

It would make just as much sense for Tugs to commit to Florida State, then we sign the 2 UMass kids, Waters, and some guy we have never heard a word on putting us over the scholarship limit. Then we could spend weeks speculating who is leaving.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby hilltopalum » Mon May 22, 2017 12:00 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:Vivid, I'm not sure how hypothetical that is. It may be pretty realistic

we'll discuss at length tonight on pod. Any other questions you guys have regarding recruiting?
hilltopalum

Postby dgassman3 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:06 pm

hilltopalum wrote:we'll discuss at length tonight on pod. Any other questions you guys have regarding recruiting?

Any pertinent info on Tremont would be nice. Feel like the news for him has been surprisingly soft considering he would come in as our highest rated recruit.
dgassman3

Postby vivid_dude » Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 pm

hilltopalum wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:Vivid, I'm not sure how hypothetical that is. It may be pretty realistic

we'll discuss at length tonight on pod. Any other questions you guys have regarding recruiting?

I have a question that I'd love to hear discussed. What is "information?"

Kidding. Actual question for you. How significantly do (or SHOULD) the coaches factor in Jarreau/Gresham's needing to sit a year, when we are trying to fill/improve a roster for 2017-2018? Maybe that year sitting out makes it more worth the risk to wait on Waters/Bowen. Does it?

Thank you.
vivid_dude

Postby mredle » Mon May 22, 2017 1:10 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
mredle wrote:I believe Wednesday is the deadline for players to pull out of the NBA draft. That is apparently what Bowen has been waiting on. Coaches should know something by the end of the week. I don't understand people's impatience. Tugs can be a player that is a game changer recruiting-wise. The coaches have spent how many days pursuing him. If we aren't willing to do that will we ever sign top recruits? The coaches are in the best position to judge the situation both with respect to Bowen and the NOLA duo. We have a lot of the competition that have DQ'ed themselves, do we add our names to the list?

This is all reasonable. Good job! But one question for you (or anyone).

Would you rather have Jarreau/Gresham at 100% certainty or Bowen at 30% certainty? Knowing that if you keep waiting for Bowen, you'll almost certainly lose Jarreau/Gresham - is that worth it? Assume that this imperfect hypothetical is being presented to you - which do you choose?

Okay, I'll bite. First, Bowen (and or Waters), if combined, may be better individually than Jarreau or Gresham individually. It appears however that Jarreau and Gresham are still marketing themselves as a combination (all or nothing) choice. Bowen and Waters are better in combination in my opinion. You also have to factor in that Jarreau and Gresham do nothing for us next season, Bowen and/or Waters do. The coaches have more information than we do about the likelihood of picking off both. But let's say that the information the coaches have is that we are still serious contenders for Bowen. Let's also say for the sake of argument that Waters says he likes us but he also likes team X, but that if we get Bowen, he is all in with us. And let's say that my earlier speculation is correct and Bowen is waiting for the deadline for players to pull out of the NBA draft. If I think we have a reasonable chance of getting one or both of Bowen or Waters, I go for it even if the odds are against me. Greater risk for greater reward. I tell Jarreau and Gresham what we are doing and I hope that we are THEIR best option and they will wait. Worst case scenario is we end up with none of the 4. I would rather have none of the four than tell Bowen we have waited this long but we are getting out and signing the NOLA due and then an hour later hearing that he's made his decision to sign with Oregon and Waters says he's going to GU or team X.
mredle

Postby Eye of the Jay » Mon May 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Who could Bowen possibly be waiting for? Alkins was the only one that I can think of. He might be waiting on Cam Johnson's decision, but there's no one on any teams he's considering that will change anything in the next 2 days.

While I agree with mredle, I think worst case scenario is we get no one and have 2 empty scholarships. I'm assuming the coaches are hedging their bets and will land at least one more (hopefully 2) in the next week or so.
Eye of the Jay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Eye of the Jay wrote:Who could Bowen possibly be waiting for? Alkins was the only one that I can think of. He might be waiting on Cam Johnson's decision, but there's no one on any teams he's considering that will change anything in the next 2 days.

While I agree with mredle, I think worst case scenario is we get no one and have 2 empty scholarships. I'm assuming the coaches are hedging their bets and will land at least one more (hopefully 2) in the next week or so.

I think it's down to Oregon and Texas, IMO. If Johnson goes to Oregon, maybe he considers us and DePaul with Texas. Who knows at this point
bluejayfan00

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting