2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen (South Carolina Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen

Postby cu8493 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:03 pm

As long as 24/7 hasn't predicted him to Creighton, we still have a chance.

Article mentions the schools he says are recruiting him the hardest, including most of the blue bloods, including Duke, UCLA, Kentucky and Kansas. Also sounds like he aims to be a one and done. My guess is we are probably going to pursue just in case, but I'd be surprised to see him at CU. Resourced might be best spent elsewhere. But, who knows?
cu8493

Postby hilltopalum » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:14 pm

Have we learned nothing regarding recruiting lately? Never stop showing interest in good players, you never know where they will be in 1-2 years.

Create and keep bonds.
hilltopalum

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:18 pm

Regarding Creighton not getting mentioned, those recruiting reports are steered by the interviewer. That person chooses what goes into the story and what questions are asked. A lot of recruiting services don't pay any attention to Creighton when the likes of Kansas and Kentucky are mentioned. Some of those places don't even have Creighton offers listed for some of the blue chip prospects despite it being public knowledge that those offers exist.
JacobPadilla

Postby ZMagic30 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:24 pm

Why would resources be better spent elsewhere? We already have 3 commits for 2017 and two of them are top 75 guys. I think we can afford to go all in on one big time guy. And if it doesn't work out, I would honestly rather stagger the classes out with transfers than have five guys come and go at once. We have literally nothing to lose going for Bowen.
ZMagic30

Postby Waylon Van Smack » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:54 pm

ZMagic30 wrote:Why would resources be better spent elsewhere? We already have 3 commits for 2017 and two of them are top 75 guys. I think we can afford to go all in on one big time guy. And if it doesn't work out, I would honestly rather stagger the classes out with transfers than have five guys come and go at once. We have literally nothing to lose going for Bowen.

+1
Waylon Van Smack

Postby Duke1Agn » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:27 am

Waylon Van Smack wrote:
ZMagic30 wrote:Why would resources be better spent elsewhere? We already have 3 commits for 2017 and two of them are top 75 guys. I think we can afford to go all in on one big time guy. And if it doesn't work out, I would honestly rather stagger the classes out with transfers than have five guys come and go at once. We have literally nothing to lose going for Bowen.

+1

+2. For the reasons stated above, our resources couldn't possibly be spent better than going after a consensus 5-star player at this point. Worst case scenario, we miss out. Either way, this class is going to end up as one of the better classes ever for Creighton. Two top-75 guys, and a third in Hunter Thompson who has a really high ceiling according to the recruiting gurus.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby cu8493 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Not disagreeing with all that is said above. Just stating that when you have finite resources in terms of time and budget, you have to pick your battles. We can't be in every recruiting battle. I did say we probably continue pursuing just in case, and obviously I have no idea what he has indicated to our coaches regarding the level of his interest in CU. Maybe its high. But based on what is in that article in terms of what apparently stated he is looking for and his goal - which appears to be one and done - then maybe. Not in any way saying I wouldn't want him here.
cu8493

Postby hilltopalum » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:30 pm

I could see a scenario in which the 2017-2018 Creighton Bluejays who trot out

PG - Kaleb Joseph (Jr.)
SG - Marcus Foster (Sr.)
SF - Khyri Thomas (Jr.)
PF - Toby Hegner (Sr.)
C - Justin Patton (So.)
6 - Ronnie Harrell (Jr.)
- Davion Mintz (So.)
- Martin Krampelj (So.)
- Mitch Ballock (Fr.)
- Ty'shon Alexander (Fr.)
- Hunter Thompson (Fr.)

would look pretty attractive to a player with Bowen's skillset.
hilltopalum

Postby jays911 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:33 pm

hilltopalum wrote:I could see a scenario in which the 2017-2018 Creighton Bluejays who trot out

PG - Kaleb Joseph (Jr.)
SG - Marcus Foster (Sr.)
SF - Khyri Thomas (Jr.)
PF - Toby Hegner (Sr.)
C - Justin Patton (So.)
6 - Ronnie Harrell (Jr.)
- Davion Mintz (So.)
- Martin Krampelj (So.)
- Mitch Ballock (Fr.)
- Ty'shon Alexander (Fr.)
- Hunter Thompson (Fr.)

would look pretty attractive to a player with Bowen's skillset.

That is an impressive lineup.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:01 am

Duke1Agn wrote:
Waylon Van Smack wrote:

+1

+2. For the reasons stated above, our resources couldn't possibly be spent better than going after a consensus 5-star player at this point. Worst case scenario, we miss out. Either way, this class is going to end up as one of the better classes ever for Creighton. Two top-75 guys, and a third in Hunter Thompson who has a really high ceiling according to the recruiting gurus.

Couldn't agree more. Recruiting is a bit like building a portfolio. You don't know what efforts will pay off when before they sign and you have to play the odds a bit there, but you also don't know what will pay off when they get on campus. You have an idea, but even highly rated guys may not pan out, so you build a portfolio of recruits and players to try to get a good combination.

I happen to think we have a very good and young roster right now. That in combination with 2016 and 2017 classes is a powerful thing and frees us up to swing for the fences here. If we absolutely had to lock in a certain position or type of player for '17 and it was the difference between our roster being awful and OK, then we wouldn't have this luxury, but while we have some smaller holes, this is the kind of recruiting battle we went to get involved in at this point.

In the end, we have a staff that GETS recruiting to Creighton - great facilities, excellent education, play in the Big East, play in front of 17K at home, play a great style that the kids love and that translates to where the next level is going as well, enjoy a family atmosphere that has been very stable and low drama, and when they can get the kid to visit due to those things they really see how nice it can be (and it helps that we a situation that the parents seem to like a lot as well)... So I love that we are working so hard to show Bowen what we have to offer.
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting