2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen (South Carolina Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:01 pm

I posted this on the other board this AM.

My gut is screaming "beware" as Bowen's tone appears to have shifted to a "business perspective" and his concern of PT and visibility for the 2018 NBA draft.

Creighton couldn't have planned for a better strategy and couldn't have prayed for Tugs' recruitment to set up nearly perfect for us. Therefore, I've got my eyes peeled lookin' for the other Murphy (Murphy's Law).

"gtmo,From this morning:

The lure and appeal of a Arizona or Michigan State is so large, so deeply ingrained in current basketball fans and recruits minds...it is possible that a recruit would still commit to either school, even when shown that neither school will be able to provide the wanted PT or starting position. Just to say he "played" on a Top 5 - Top 10 team.

I think back to Tum Tum and McQuaid - both opted for MSU and neither got nearly the PT and starts they would have had at CU. Stover barely saw the court at UCLA during his time there. It is not a stretch to think Tugs may still opt for the big state school - even if he will not be the top player, not be the "go to guy", not be a starter, or not get the percentage of PT he thinks he should get. Barring team injuries, it is not likely he would receive sufficient minutes to justify a "1 and Done" season at either school, coinsiding with the opinion of some - that he doesn't appear to be such a player. We have often seen cases of "what recruits say vs what recruits do."

Creighton has a good shot to get him, but we have been in this situation previously-although back then we were the little mid-major school-I am hoping it's our time for a big recruiting win.

428 Today at 11:48 AM

jgrunner likes this.
< Prev1←67"
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby fritzpointer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:14 pm

There's a long list of close calls over the years let's just hope for the best here and hopefully Tugs will be a Jay. Tugs could give Tremont a push our way too. Go Jays!
fritzpointer

Postby Azbluejay » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:07 pm

I do not doubt that Bowen is a game changer, but I have never followed a recruitment like this in all the years that i have followed Jays basketball. We have 46 pages of posts on him and I have not seen one which addresses whether or not he is a good character fit with Creighton. I get that he is a one and done, but he still needs to be the kind of person we want to have on our team. Is he that? Also, he is teammates with Epperson. Does that help us? Hurt us? Do the two get along? I presume that Epperson would try to help us recruit Bowen. Is that a plus or a minus?
Azbluejay

Postby Jet915 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Artlcle with quotes about Creighton.

"Coming in and scoring the ball is the biggest thing for them,” Bowen said of his Creighton offer. "That’s really what they need, scoring the ball. They’ve got a couple pieces that they’ve got, a couple shooters, and being a one-two punch with Marcus (Foster) there--it’s a big time deal.”

While there’s a certain allure to playing in a Power 5 conference, Bowen himself is not buying the hype completely. He’s enjoyed what he’s seen from the Big East since realignment.

“Not at all; last year, a Big East team--Villanova--won it all,” said Bowen, when asked if not playing in a Power 5 conference would affect how he looks at Creighton. "This year, they had the biggest percentage of teams in the Tournament, or something like that, but no not at all. They’re on the rise right now. Honestly, a lot of people are sleeping on that conference, but it’s a truly great conference.”

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2017/4/15/15315284/jordan-brand-classic-notebook-big-east-recruiting-storylines-more
Jet915

Postby taa71458 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:49 am

Jet915 wrote:, when asked if not playing in a Power 5 conference would affect how he looks at Creighton

Whoever asked this question is an idiot.
taa71458

Postby yeti47 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:47 am

Who was asking the questions? I would like to say hello to them on Twitter.
yeti47

Postby jfan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:13 am

It was probably Doug Gottleib
jfan

Postby Durango Jay » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:33 pm

yeti47 wrote:Who was asking the questions?

A football fan, pretty clearly.
Durango Jay

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Some of those quotes were lifted from other interviews. One thing is clear, Tugs doesn't lack confidence as he apparently sees himself starting wherever he lands.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Jaysker12 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:01 pm

The only school I would think Brian has serious competition at for a starting spot is Arizona. Trier, Alkins, Simmons. All young big guards. That said I wouldn't be surprised if Miller is ready to slot him in immediately. However, unlike Arizona, if he comes here he's probably the third most important player, maybe fourth behind Ronnie. If Brian went to Zona I am guessing he'd start, but I could see him not 'getting his' in the offense just because of how talented they would be. There's definitely a larger hole in terms of talent to fill on our roster, which in his mind could be a good thing.
Jaysker12

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting