2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen (South Carolina Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen (Louisville Commit)

Postby kenoman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Bluejay Rey wrote:
blueblood wrote:I see your point I just see them all as guilty. Tugs should be banned from college sports.

I will be very disappointed if this ends here. I sure as hell hope we don't hear well thats that now back to normal. Louisville is already looking for a coach and says it will make it happen soon. Thats bullshit.

Shouldn't Tugs eligibility be essentially exhausted. Can't be an ametuer athlete if getting paid to play.

He is starting a new category of recruits. None and done
kenoman

Postby Realhoops » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:04 pm

To me the most amazing thing of all here is that it was that much money and risk for that kid. He was good - but he didn’t go anything on the court to make me think he was $100k and Program Future risk-worthy. I mean, he wasn’t super-dominant or clear #1 player in the country or anything. He wasn’t Shaq in Blue Chips.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:01 pm

A corner of my heart feels bad for these (11 or more) kids. They are going to get put thru the wringer, suspended, banned, etc. for the actions of their parents, guardians, greedy agents, advisors, and asst coaches, others. Since the Feds are chaperoning this dance, the chips, balloons, and of course JT (jail time) will be passed out generously.

I feel sorry for Tugs, but sh_t happens. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned from this. Good luck to him.

One great thing about this is that a bunch of great recruits will be reopening recruitments. Let's get a couple of 'em.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Bluejoe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 pm

I start to feel bad for these kids, but then realize their punishment is that they won't get to play college basketball. Honestly, they don't actually want to go to college. Just get to the NBA. So, go to Europe. See the world. Get paid.
Bluejoe

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 pm

A part of me would have respect for Bowen if he made a statement owning this.

"My dream is to be a professional basketball player. I want to get paid to play basketball now, but there isn't a decent path in America to that with the current rules. So, I found a situation which paid me. Yes, I broke the rules. Yes, i understand why people wouldn't like that. But I think the rules are unfair, unAmerican and I am doing what's best for me as I chase my dream."

Fine tune it, but you get the gist. Just own it, even though you know you'll piss a lot of people off.
vivid_dude

Postby Durango Jay » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:58 am

So, will Adidas now have to issue a 1099 to Bowen? Will several collegiate players/families get charged with tax fraud in addition to getting kicked out of College?
Durango Jay

Postby Jayski » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:16 am

LynchMob wrote:
ictjay wrote:
Artis Gilmore wrote:Word on the street is Kansas, UCLA and South Carolina are in the FBI crosshairs too. Shit is getting real.

All the Best,
Artis

South Carolina yes. No rumors,nothing on KU down here. Gatto had no affiliation with KU. Self runs a pretty good ship. Be surprised. UCLA?

If Adidas is buying Miami players because they're oh-so-valuable to Adidas, there is no way in hell they aren't buying Kansas players.

UCLA just signed a deal with Under Armour last year, so did South Carolina. OkSU is a Nike school. This is going to end up involving all three show companies and tons of major programs before it's over.

I could see Kansas getting legitamate recruits based off of their programs history. They don’t really have the need to pay kids to go there.
Jayski

Postby wbjay » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:17 am

I read on Twitter that Bowen's family said that a Nike school was offering more money so Addidas had to up the ante. If I recall, Oregon (Nike school), was the other school that came into the recruiting scene late. I wonder how much truth there is to this.
wbjay

Postby Jaynut » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 am

Durango Jay wrote:So, will Adidas now have to issue a 1099 to Bowen? Will several collegiate players/families get charged with tax fraud in addition to getting kicked out of College?

Was chatting about this yesterday. The timing likely helped the Bowen family as I don't think they had been paid yet. Had they been paid, and (likely) not reported it, you could add tax fraud to their problems.
You can't spell delusional without "UNL."
Jaynut

Postby Kolder Fan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:16 am

Jaynut wrote:
Durango Jay wrote:So, will Adidas now have to issue a 1099 to Bowen? Will several collegiate players/families get charged with tax fraud in addition to getting kicked out of College?

Was chatting about this yesterday. The timing likely helped the Bowen family as I don't think they had been paid yet. Had they been paid, and (likely) not reported it, you could add tax fraud to their problems.

An article that I read stated that he had been paid $25,000 to this point. They were paying in installments.
Kolder Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting