2017 PG Tremont Waters (LSU Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Tremont Waters

Postby section221jay » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Neither Martin nor Ronnie are "bigs" so....

;)
section221jay

Postby section221jay » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:25 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:hate to be blunt but this is a big warning sign to me that the coaches think we don't have a starter quality pg on the roster. If that wasn't the case why recruit him?

I think it's fair to say they may not be high on Mintz at PG. And the kid from 'cuse will be a Jr. Probably dont want to get caught with their pants down at the pg position again.
Last edited by section221jay on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
section221jay

Postby Jays26 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:hate to be blunt but this is a big warning sign to me that the coaches think we don't have a starter quality pg on the roster. If that wasn't the case why recruit him?

:roll:
Jays26

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:43 pm

section221jay wrote:Neither Martin nor Ronnie are "bigs" so....

;)

I can see Martin and Ronnie playing the 4, Martin some 5 as well...
Jet915

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:47 pm

hilltopalum wrote:McDermott recruiting Waters

http://www.gametimect.com/boys-basketball-waters-back-market-division-schools-continue-show-interest/

“Creighton is the only one of those who messaged me,”

http://usatodayhss.com/?p=101176503

Sounds like since he never enrolled at Georgetown that we can recruit him.
Jet915

Postby section221jay » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Jet915 wrote:
section221jay wrote:Neither Martin nor Ronnie are "bigs" so....

;)

I can see Martin and Ronnie playing the 4, Martin some 5 as well...

4 sure. 5...god I hope not.
section221jay

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Jet915 wrote:
hilltopalum wrote:McDermott recruiting Waters

http://www.gametimect.com/boys-basketball-waters-back-market-division-schools-continue-show-interest/

“Creighton is the only one of those who messaged me,”

http://usatodayhss.com/?p=101176503

Sounds like since he never enrolled at Georgetown that we can recruit him.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they're reading that wrong. The full clause reads: "As noted in each section, the above-mentioned policy is applicable to all student athletes who have ever enrolled full-time at a BIG EAST institution (e.g., four-twofour
transfers, four-four-four transfers)." The clause is stating that it doesn't matter if there's a stop in between you cannot go to a different BE school even if there's a stop in between. The clause above states it applies to every player who signs a NLI. I could be wrong though. I wonder if there's someone in the BE to email for clarification.
hoyahooligan

Postby minakirogue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:35 pm

It seems hoyahooligan is likely correct. The policy that the article pulls from ignores language from these two sections:

A student-athlete who signs a valid National Letter of Intent with a BIG EAST
institution is subject to the above-mentioned transfer policy for the sport in which they
signed the NLI.

and;

institution, and is subsequently granted a complete release to said NLI or is granted a
release by the NLI Steering Committee, is subject to the above-mentioned transfer policy
for the sport in which they signed the NLI.

Those two clauses are pretty clear with students that have signed a NLI and I don't think it's likely that the full time student language would over ride the clear NLI clause. The only way that Waters could come to Creighton is if Creighton successfully petitions the Big East that the NLI is "null and void" under the following clause. But even that seems like a stretch based on the language.

institution that is subsequently declared null and void (as set forth in Section 7 of the
NLI), is not subject to the above-mentioned transfer policy as long as said student-athlete
did not trigger transfer status (as defined by NCAA bylaws) prior to the NLI being
declared null and void.
minakirogue

Postby JaysWinJaysWin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:00 pm

The story referred to earlier says:

Of the schools pursuing him, there’s some question whether he would be allowed to play at Creighton, since like Georgetown, it is a Big East school, and the Big East doesn’t allow transfers, in the same sport, in men’s and women’s basketball and football, between conference teams.

However, one out for Waters would be that he never enrolled at Georgetown and the Big East policy, in place since 2005, states:

As noted in each section, the above-mentioned policy is applicable to all student-athletes who have ever enrolled full-time at a BIG EAST institution…

“I’m not sure how that plays out,” Waters said. “I never set foot on campus at Georgetown.”

I couldn't find a copy of the Big East policy anywhere on line (maybe someone else has a copy or knows where it is) but apparently there is at least one article that suggests the policy does not apply if Tremont Waters never enrolled at Georgetown.

I guess what I am saying is that I haven't seen the full version of the policy to try to get some idea as to what clause modifies what other clause.

Does any body know where to find a complete version of the policy?

I would think the Creighton coaches have checked on the rules and know the application of the rules to Waters.
JaysWinJaysWin

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:58 pm

JaysWinJaysWin wrote:The story referred to earlier says:

Of the schools pursuing him, there’s some question whether he would be allowed to play at Creighton, since like Georgetown, it is a Big East school, and the Big East doesn’t allow transfers, in the same sport, in men’s and women’s basketball and football, between conference teams.

However, one out for Waters would be that he never enrolled at Georgetown and the Big East policy, in place since 2005, states:

As noted in each section, the above-mentioned policy is applicable to all student-athletes who have ever enrolled full-time at a BIG EAST institution…

“I’m not sure how that plays out,” Waters said. “I never set foot on campus at Georgetown.”

I couldn't find a copy of the Big East policy anywhere on line (maybe someone else has a copy or knows where it is) but apparently there is at least one article that suggests the policy does not apply if Tremont Waters never enrolled at Georgetown.

I guess what I am saying is that I haven't seen the full version of the policy to try to get some idea as to what clause modifies what other clause.

Does any body know where to find a complete version of the policy?

I would think the Creighton coaches have checked on the rules and know the application of the rules to Waters.

It's on page 2 of this thread.
hoyahooligan

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting