DeSean Murray (Transfer) Presbyterian

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

DeSean Murray (Transfer) Presbyterian

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:46 pm

The Big South's leading scorer,DeSean Murray, is transferring. 2 years left to play. 6'5, 220lb forward averaged 20 and 7 this year.
The Jays have reached out along with Dunk City and College of Charleston. Could be a nice get. https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/ ... 0416974848
bluejayfan00

Re: DeSean Murray (Transfer) Presbyterian

Postby LJay » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Sounds like a solid Mo Valley 4. Hard to see how a 6'5 beefy dude who doesn't shoot well fits in against power league front lines. No mention of his skills on D.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby hilltopalum » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Would be an excellent pick up. I expect Creighton to be at the top of his list
Last edited by hilltopalum on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
hilltopalum

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:31 pm

LJay wrote:Sounds like a solid Mo Valley 4. Hard to see how a 6'5 beefy dude who doesn't shoot well fits in against power league front lines. No mention of his skills on D.

Lol. "Sounds like." Have you SEEN him play? Most also didn't think a 5'9 point guard from the Patriot league, who couldn't shoot would be the best pure PG in the Big East. Worked out well.

Also worth mentioning, he's played three games in his career against "Power 5" schools. Duke, Clemson, and Marquette. His first collegiate game was against the Dukies. He had 14 and 7. This year, against Clemson, he had 15 and 8. Against Marquette, he had 20 and 11. He has many stat lines with 23+ and 15+ rebounds.

Obviously the competition wasn't great, that's why I mentioned the 3 games against major conference schools. We wouldn't be bringing him in to score 20+ and be a go to guy. I've been saying for months, why does every "4" we get HAVE to be able to shoot 3's? God forbid we get a guy who can just rebound and scrap inside. He's only 6'5, but if he can get double digit boards against Marquette, and post several games with 13+ rebounds, the guy obviously has a knack for rebounding. We need that. And, we have two "Mo Valley" 4's on the roster right now. They just can't do much other than shoot. Maybe we need a guy who can do other things, but can't shoot.
bluejayfan00

Postby CUJAYFANATIC » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:55 am

Would he, Desean Murray, be able to step in next year without sitting? I am assuming we have one more available scholarship due to someone not returning with the possibility of another if someone pays their own way.
Should get really interesting in late April-May later this spring.
CUJAYFANATIC

Postby Jays26 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:07 am

CUJAYFANATIC wrote:Would he, Desean Murray, be able to step in next year without sitting? I am assuming we have one more available scholarship due to someone not returning with the possibility of another if someone pays their own way.
Should get really interesting in late April-May later this spring.

He would have to sit.
Jays26

Postby CU4LIFE » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:41 am

After watching some film of him, he reminds me a lot like Justin Carter. Undersized 4, but tough inside on the boards and able to get to the rim and finish. Nice mid-range shot with a year off to develop more of an outside game could make a huge difference. Hope we land DeSean, would love the addition!
CU4LIFE

Postby Trifecta » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:19 pm

Seems like a solid player. I like the Justin Carter comparison. Don't know much about his defense, but if he is a decent defender then bringing a beefy, tough wing off the bench to bang and get in the lane doesn't seem like a bad deal.

I get the feeling that we'll be looking to bring in 2 guys though. I'm fairly certain someone is transferring this off-season and another player may give up his scholarship. If we do bring in 2 new players I hope we bring in a post player that would be immediately eligible. We still have no idea what we'll get out of Justin, and while much improved Zach just fouls way too much to be able to pencil him in for 20+ minutes per game.
Last edited by Trifecta on Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trifecta

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:23 pm

This kid could very well be a good fit, but be careful citing his stat lines vs. power conference schools as evidence that he's a Big East player. It's easy to rack up stats when you're (a) on a bad team and (b) getting blown out. Yeah, he had 15 and 8 vs. Clemson, but it was on 16 shots and in a 28 point loss. Last year, he went for 14 and 7 vs. Duke in a 69 POINT LOSS! He played most of the game - was he racking up those stats vs. Okafor or vs. the bench mob?

There's more to the story than just stats obviously. Has anyone watched PC play this season?
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby cu8493 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Justin Carter was a solid, but not dominate, MVC player. I don't know whether he would have been nearly as effective in the BE. Unless this guy can be in the mold of a Roosevelt Jones and consistently bull his way into the lane and finish, I'm not sold. But, I have been wrong before. Z and Mo will be gone before he would be eligible, so there could be need for someone like him if he can get into the lane and finish.
cu8493

Next

Return to Recruiting