Transfers 2016

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Transfers 2016

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:43 am

Old MVC Days wrote:I have confidence that Hanson and Patton will be sufficient next season. But Patton might have trouble on defense against beefier guys. I'd love to have a beefy guy of our own who can just fill space. We don't need offense from the post next season as much since we will have Foster :D

What's your idea of "sufficient"? Zach can't stay out of foul trouble. He has very little if any post game. Not fair of us to expect Justin to pick up all his slack. We either go get someone in the transfer market or we're stuck with Toby at the 5 if foul trouble occurs.
bluejayfan00

Postby mightyskid » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:44 pm

2016/2017 'Ship Players
5 - Hanson (6'9"), Patton (6'11"), Hegner (6'10")
4 - Huff (6'8"), Hegner (6'10"), Krampelj (6'8")
3 - Thomas (6'3"), Harrell (6'7"), Foster (6'3")
2 - Zierden (6'3"), Foster (6'3"), Albert (6'2"), Mintz (6'3")
1 - Watson (5'10"), Albert (6'2"), Stewart (6'1")

* With Stewart possibly making a 'ship available, I think you go after a 6'6" to 6'8" JUCO in this 2016 class.
**5 Players from 6'8" to 6'11" to split time at the 4 & 5, 16 minutes per is not all that bad a scenario. Obviously, Huff and Hanson probably over 20 minutes per. Leaving 40 minutes between 3 others at just over 13 minutes per. Could even throw Krampelj in the '5' mix (Remember Wragge was a '5' at 6'8").
***7-8 players at the 1, 2 & 3 more than enough. Could be a very good to great bunch. Not real sure it's necessary to burn Mintz' redshirt? If Stewart leaves, then you have to look hard at Mintz, making him available next season.
****With the experience and talent of 5 Sr's and 2 Jr's, a top 5 Big East finish and solid chance for NCAA Tournament bid is right there for the taking. I expect all 7 of these players to have greatly improved their games going into next season.
*****Like to see this depth used towards a VERY high tempo defense........multiple full and half court press shown and used. More switching back and forth from man to zone. I'm personally fascinated at the prospect of mixing things up so much and what it might do to 70+% of Big East teams. Make the Big East adjust to our tempo more times than not. Knowing we can do some of the things that others successfully force us into.......ie going big, like what Marquette will do if Ellenson stays.
******Very important that we fill our last 3 spots in the 2017 class with 6'7" to 6'10" players, unless Stewart leaves and his 'ship is filled by JUCO in 2016 class. Then you have to get PG.......and that's not to say, you don't have to get a PG in 2017 if Stewart stays. Personally, I'd like to see Stewart stay and redshirt next season. Then he has 3 years after Mo and Albert leave to be the PG. Even if he doesn't redshirt he still has two years to be the man. I like his game! Although, as a disclaimer haven't seen much this season and make my thoughts purely based on what I saw in HS.

With all this said, let's beat the Bonnies or Wagner, whoever is next!!
mightyskid

Postby Dundee Hipster » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:57 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:What's your idea of "sufficient"? He has very little if any post game.

Dundee Hipster

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Dundee Hipster wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:What's your idea of "sufficient"? He has very little if any post game.

I think he's a fine player in a back up role. Gets a lot of points off of putbacks or dump offs. He has the same hook shot, over his left shoulder. That's really all I've seen. Geoff is much more polished with his back around the basket.
bluejayfan00

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:46 pm

mightyskid wrote:2016/2017 'Ship Players

* With Stewart possibly making a 'ship available, I think you go after a 6'6" to 6'8" JUCO in this 2016 class.
**5 Players from 6'8" to 6'11" to split time at the 4 & 5, 16 minutes per is not all that bad a scenario. Obviously, Huff and Hanson probably over 20 minutes per. Leaving 40 minutes between 3 others at just over 13 minutes per. Could even throw Krampelj in the '5' mix (Remember Wragge was a '5' at 6'8").
***7-8 players at the 1, 2 & 3 more than enough. Could be a very good to great bunch. Not real sure it's necessary to burn Mintz' redshirt? If Stewart leaves, then you have to look hard at Mintz, making him available next season.
****With the experience and talent of 5 Sr's and 2 Jr's, a top 5 Big East finish and solid chance for NCAA Tournament bid is right there for the taking. I expect all 7 of these players to have greatly improved their games going into next season.
*****Like to see this depth used towards a VERY high tempo defense........multiple full and half court press shown and used. More switching back and forth from man to zone. I'm personally fascinated at the prospect of mixing things up so much and what it might do to 70+% of Big East teams. Make the Big East adjust to our tempo more times than not. Knowing we can do some of the things that others successfully force us into.......ie going big, like what Marquette will do if Ellenson stays.
******Very important that we fill our last 3 spots in the 2017 class with 6'7" to 6'10" players, unless Stewart leaves and his 'ship is filled by JUCO in 2016 class. Then you have to get PG.......and that's not to say, you don't have to get a PG in 2017 if Stewart stays. Personally, I'd like to see Stewart stay and redshirt next season. Then he has 3 years after Mo and Albert leave to be the PG. Even if he doesn't redshirt he still has two years to be the man. I like his game! Although, as a disclaimer haven't seen much this season and make my thoughts purely based on what I saw in HS.

Don't necessarily think it has to be a JUCO. I think if there's a better 5th year guy on the market, we should go for it.
bluejayfan00

Postby mightyskid » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:35 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:
mightyskid wrote:2016/2017 'Ship Players

Don't necessarily think it has to be a JUCO. I think if there's a better 5th year guy on the market, we should go for it.

The "one and done" does nothing for me, and I'd like to say it should only be done when absolutely necessary. The point of my post for the most part is that you'd be hard pressed in convincing me the absolute necessity of a one and done player for next season. A JUCO would get you at least one additional year after next, becoming that more valuable.
mightyskid

Postby Dundee Hipster » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:47 am

I would prefer not doing a JUCO. Those players take almost a full season to pan out and by the time they're accustomed, it's too late in the year.
Dundee Hipster

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:00 am

Obviously there are some exceptions, but JUCO kids with size are usually terrible.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:10 am

McKinney's Neighbor wrote:Obviously there are some exceptions, but JUCO kids with size are usually terrible.

Most of the time, yes. Wichita seems to always get good JUCO bigs, though. I think if there's a guy on the transfer market that's capable of playing at this level, we take him. Even if it's only for a year, that's okay. Next year we're built to make a run anyways. Might as well strengthen the weakest position group on the roster. A JUCO would have more years to play, but like mentioned earlier, they take awhile to come around. And, we have Patton, and Krampelj as bigs in years goinf forward, along with more scholarships to fill in 2017.
bluejayfan00

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:24 am

over the years - we haven't targeted a ton of juco post players

Donnie Johnson, Big Swen, and the Python Pyfrom are probably our best success stories

but none of those guys came in as "beefy" - they were all more mobile active 5s
cujaysfan

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting