2016 PG Cane Broome (Cincinnati Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2016 PG Cane Broome (Transfer)

Postby jln » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:16 pm

AttyAlum wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the staff may see value in having a PG on the roster that actually has, you know, actually started a college game? Remember that Malik and Mo both graduate before Cane would become eligible. If nothing else, an experienced PG would be a nice insurance policy since our other PGs will all be gone.

I also think some of Cane's turnovers can be attributed to the fact that opponents were able to focus all of their attention solely upon him. I posted an article elsewhere in the thread which said that Cane was POY in the conference despite having little help on his own team and being almost the entire focus of opposing defenses.

To add to that and to provide a little context Cane's turnover rate the last two years was 18.5 and 18.9. If we want to compare to Watson, Watson's turnover rates at Boston were 23.9 and 20.1. He was at 21.3 this year.

In terms of the assist to turnover ratio, I'd be a lot more worried about the lack of assists than the turnover rate. I, like I assume all of us, did not watch much Sacred Heart basketball this year. It would be interesting if the coaches can look at the film and say the lack of assists can be in part attributed to him having lousy teammates.
jln

Postby White&BlueDude » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfn0tuPL4LM

^ Link to a 39 point performance against Fairleigh Dickinson.

Watched a few other of their games and Broome is an interesting guy to watch.

Offensively, he's got great acceleration and agility with decent speed. He relies on a lot of changes of direction and crossovers and plays the pick and roll game very well. His arsenal consists of a variety of layups, a mid-range floater, and the 3 point shot. He's shooting stroke is a little wonky mechanically but he's got a nice, quick release.

Defensively, it's hard to say how he'll play in the Big East. Though he's athletic, he's pretty skinny and will need that transfer to bulk up a bit.
White&BlueDude

Postby Nord » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:24 pm

That video didn't impress me that much. I don't mind a transfer PG if he's good enough. I'll trust the coaches to evaluate it.
Nord

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:34 pm

Using the scholarship for a PG is smart. We have 5 guys graduating next year, so 2017-18 could be a struggle if we're not strong at the point. Maybe Davion comes in and is ready to take over after Mo leaves. But maybe not. Marlon had just won a state title a year ago and seemed like the answer when Mo left. You just never know what happens once a kid gets to campus.

I think Mac is looking for a PG transfer as insurance. We'll have a lot of good pieces available in 2017-18, but a hole at PG could hold back the progress.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:04 pm

Good points Wiz.
Funny that we have Ten (10) PGs on the 2017 recruiting list (accord'g to Verbal Commits). Broome may be the nxt Marlon as he will get recruited over in 2017 and 2018. No grad trans PGs? Not thrilled about giving 3 yrs to get 2, especially when he (Broome) will probably be a grad transfer himself for 2018 after he gets recruited over.

With Davion here in 2016 and with a year under his belt - he should be fine along with Waters, Nembhard, Langford, Barcello, or whomever we get in 2017. Does this tactic take us out of the market for a 2016 big?
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby cu8493 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:53 pm

jln wrote:
AttyAlum wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the staff may see value in having a PG on the roster that actually has, you know, actually started a college game? Remember that Malik and Mo both graduate before Cane would become eligible. If nothing else, an experienced PG would be a nice insurance policy since our other PGs will all be gone.

I also think some of Cane's turnovers can be attributed to the fact that opponents were able to focus all of their attention solely upon him. I posted an article elsewhere in the thread which said that Cane was POY in the conference despite having little help on his own team and being almost the entire focus of opposing defenses.

To add to that and to provide a little context Cane's turnover rate the last two years was 18.5 and 18.9. If we want to compare to Watson, Watson's turnover rates at Boston were 23.9 and 20.1. He was at 21.3 this year.

In terms of the assist to turnover ratio, I'd be a lot more worried about the lack of assists than the turnover rate. I, like I assume all of us, did not watch much Sacred Heart basketball this year. It would be interesting if the coaches can look at the film and say the lack of assists can be in part attributed to him having lousy teammates.

Mo has too many turnovers so that stat doesn't sway my thinking. But at least Mo has assists and decent enough shooting percentage to offset the TOs.
cu8493

Postby HandDownManDown » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:54 pm

Gtmo, you're talking out of your ass. There's no way you could know any of that and if you are bringing in a transfer then it isn't done with the intention to recruit over him.
HandDownManDown

Postby LynchMob » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:05 am

Remember, Mo's stats shifted a lot this year from his time at Boston. Being a part of a talented team is a lot different than trying to carry a bad team.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby jln » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:53 am

cu8493 wrote:
jln wrote:

Mo has too many turnovers so that stat doesn't sway my thinking. But at least Mo has assists and decent enough shooting percentage to offset the TOs.

Cane's true shooting percentage last year is better than Mo has ever had. I'd agree with most that Broome would be a riskier transfer pick-up than Watson was, but I think some are being a bit too dismissive. Broome's efficiency for such a high usage player on such a terrible team isn't great, but it's really not bad.
jln

Postby Jaysker12 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:39 pm

jln wrote:Cane's true shooting percentage last year is better than Mo has ever had. I'd agree with most that Broome would be a riskier transfer pick-up than Watson was, but I think some are being a bit too dismissive. Broome's efficiency for such a high usage player on such a terrible team isn't great, but it's really not bad.

he shot 54% on twos last year. Factoring in the move up from NEC to BE-level play, that percentage should drop by a decent figure. If he doesn't take seven 3's a game he could probably be an efficient scorer. He is probably a better scorer than both James and Devin. The combination of "small" and "score-first" just worries me. And I too wonder how a guard of his size will ever play solid defense in the big east. Really the only positive is his scoring, and its a big one. If he's gonna take away minutes from Davion in 2017 the coaches better be sure the sacrifice is worth it
Jaysker12

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting