2017 Recruiting - Overview thread

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 Recruiting - Overview thread

Postby Jays26 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:58 pm

BufordISking wrote:Does anybody know why we are having trouble landing a Center or a big Power Forward? This is really irritating to me.

Are you on the wrong board?
Jays26

Postby BufordISking » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:32 pm

Jays26 wrote:
BufordISking wrote:Does anybody know why we are having trouble landing a Center or a big Power Forward? This is really irritating to me.

Are you on the wrong board?

Please tell me who will be a force inside the next 2 or 3 years then? Justin Patton?
Civic Auditorium section 34.
BufordISking

Postby taa71458 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:42 pm

We need a BIG BANGER!
taa71458

Postby LJay » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:47 pm

I guess Hegner, Patton, Kampelj and Thompson suck!

You can only learn such things on Al Gore's Internet!!!
89 - 60
LJay

Postby BufordISking » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:11 pm

LJay wrote:I guess Hegner, Patton, Kampelj and Thompson suck!

Nobody is saying they suck. I am just thinking we need a big banger like a 6'8-6'10 250-265lb guy in the middle. I was just asking why none of the big guys we went after in 2016 signed.
BufordISking

Postby BufordISking » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:12 pm

Also in 2017 it appears we are only going after on big guy Nick Richards which would be a long shot if he signed with the Jays.
BufordISking

Postby Waylon Van Smack » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:31 pm

BufordISking wrote:

Nobody is saying they suck. I am just thinking we need a big banger like a 6'8-6'10 250-265lb guy in the middle. I was just asking why none of the big guys we went after in 2016 signed.

Another big would be a great addition.
Waylon Van Smack

Postby OklahomaJay » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:40 pm

BufordISking wrote:

Seems like people either didn't pay close attention to Villanova's team or they think it was a fluke. They played with 2 post players (6'8"/225 & 6'11"/245), and they won the National Championship. Yes it would be nice to have a "big banger," but we will have much more size than Villanova had this year. Also, we need big men that fit our system. Groselle was awesome this year, but he had to be within 5 feet of the basket and his athleticism was limiting at times. Hanson has better athleticism, so hopefully he can add a mid-range game to his post moves.

To me, for big men in today's game it's more about being strong (not necessarily heavy), versatile, and athletic. Strong meaning able to box out, defend the post, and post up. Versatile and athletic meaning not only running the floor, a good vertical leap, and playing inside and outside, but they also being able to defend off of switches with all the ball-screen offense nowadays is becoming very important.

This year we were without Patton and Krampelj, and Toby was ineffective at best. If those guys can get healthy and improve, we should have plenty of size. Developing the talent we have is the key.

I hope we do get another big man. But if not, let's not forget that by the "Villanova Model" we are in pretty good shape
OklahomaJay

Postby BufordISking » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:32 pm

OklahomaJay wrote:
BufordISking wrote:

Seems like people either didn't pay close attention to Villanova's team or they think it was a fluke. They played with 2 post players (6'8"/225 & 6'11"/245), and they won the National Championship. Yes it would be nice to have a "big banger," but we will have much more size than Villanova had this year. Also, we need big men that fit our system. Groselle was awesome this year, but he had to be within 5 feet of the basket and his athleticism was limiting at times. Hanson has better athleticism, so hopefully he can add a mid-range game to his post moves.

To me, for big men in today's game it's more about being strong (not necessarily heavy), versatile, and athletic. Strong meaning able to box out, defend the post, and post up. Versatile and athletic meaning not only running the floor, a good vertical leap, and playing inside and outside, but they also being able to defend off of switches with all the ball-screen offense nowadays is becoming very important.

This year we were without Patton and Krampelj, and Toby was ineffective at best. If those guys can get healthy and improve, we should have plenty of size. Developing the talent we have is the key.

I hope we do get another big man. But if not, let's not forget that by the "Villanova Model" we are in pretty good shape

You make a valid point. Hopefully we can develop these players enough to finish in the top four of the league consistently. I would still like to see a big guy after Hansen leaves that is not a bean pole.
BufordISking

Postby LJay » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:22 pm

Honest question: do you go to the games / live in Omaha? Patton has added a lot of weight and his base is far advanced versus his upper body but even that is way better than 12 months ago. He'll never be GE ( few are) but he can reach the Groselle size. 7' and 245 wasn't big for GG. He had toughness though and I can't answer that question for JP.

Krampelj had obvious offensive and rebounding skills in his few outings but his defense was bad. The coaches no doubt have let him know how he'll see time next year.

Hegner is a big question mark. I'm thinking his injuries caused his sophomore slump but we'll see. He will always be a 4 with the ability to chip in 5 minutes at the 5 when needed.

Thompson, who knows. He seems to be a 4/5 like Artino. Hopefully he is more talented.
89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting